Storage of Black Powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

english_1969

Reaction score
What is the safest way to store black powder in small quantities that can be used at the launch site?

I'm just not seeing it as been safe carting the GOEX 1lb metal box around - well not convenient either.

I would ideally like something that has a large enough opening to get a small gram scoop into.

I'm sure many of you already have a good way to do this.

I've seen film cannisters being used, but not sure about this.

Thanks in advance.

W

Last edited:
Thanks Clay!

I've been looking for a place to order that size glass jar.

What about using plastic (HDPE??) - just to guard against breakage.

W

I use a large old prescription plastic jar.
Glass is not really a good idea because it doesn't show up on x-rays in the unlike event of a problem. The glass jar will contain the pressure much longer than the plastic will. This would create a larger boom rather than a loud boom with a lot of fire
I have also used the zip loc food containers. The small throw away ones. Those work great too. They have a really large opening for the scooper.

1oz may not last long. It also depends on how much you're using for each charge. A gram or two for each flight, then you're golden.

I use 1 mL micro centrifuge tubes with screw on tops. With these I pre-measure 1/2, 1, and 2 gram loads.Then I don't have to weigh it on the field. Just unscrew the top and use what I need. I tend to carry about 50g in my range box this way.

I use a large old prescription plastic jar.
Glass is not really a good idea because it doesn't show up on x-rays in the unlike event of a problem. The glass jar will contain the pressure much longer than the plastic will. This would create a larger boom rather than a loud boom with a lot of fire
I have also used the zip loc food containers. The small throw away ones. Those work great too. They have a really large opening for the scooper.

1oz may not last long. It also depends on how much you're using for each charge. A gram or two for each flight, then you're golden.

the glass jar wont contain any more pressure since the stopper would come right out. you are dead on with the x-ray thing.. hey doc whats this bump!, i dunnoo... for my 1oz, usualy having 20-40grams of BP, i am never worried.
it can actualy focus light inside the jar. so dont leave it out in the sun either...
I suggest using whats free, lot of guys use medicine bottles...

Ziploc containers- thats a great suggestion, it's amazing how its easy to overlook a good solution..

I was wondering about the film canisters :)

Seems like in reading on BP safety HDPE film containers is a recommended storage option.

W

What ever happened to 35mm film canisters? :D

35mm what?
what's film?(just playing)
All the cameras I have are digital.

Those canisters work great also.

ClayD.
The glass jars I was talking about have a twist top like a glass jelly jar but smaller. I believe those will build up more pressure. Granted for a micro sec. but it's micro sec.'s longer than the plastic.

I keep a perscription pill bottle with 25g or so in the ammo can. I also refill the containers that come with Aerotech HP reloads. I pre-measure for what I need and have a dozen or two in the range box.

I know a number of people that use the powder containers/measure that muzzleloaders use.

I use a brass flask from Gander Mountain. It holds more than enough for a weekend of flying big rockets.

TRADA1201.jpg

I have a similar all-brass flask from the possible shop. Love it. I had some BP in a small glass bottle for awhile, but then realized, 'glass', probably not a great idea.

Back