Fliskits - Avalear (SP020) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built this one when it first came out, nice flyer....just needs to be larger! :D

FlisKitsAvalearwithJohn.jpg

I've had my Avalear built and primed for over a year, but just got around to painting it. I used some 1/48 airplane decals over Rustoleum gloss white and black. The cockpit windows are cut from trim Monocote. Not my best paint job, but it looks good from several feet away. I haven't pushed the launch button in over a year, either, so I'm hoping to get out and launch it soon.

This kit was a pretty easy build, given the quality parts and great documentation typical of a Fliskits product. Cutting out the balsa parts reminded me of those '70s Estes kits I built as a kid.

AvalearA.jpg

AvalearB.jpg

Welcome to the FlisKits Avalear (SP020) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the FlisKits Avalear (SP020) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

FlisKits: Avalear: SP020

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
FlisKits Avalear (SP020) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
FlisKits

MODEL NAME: Avalear Also known as:

NUMBER: SP020

Introduced: 2008
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parac hute
Stages: 1
Length: 12.30"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span: 8.98"
Weight: 0.35 oz.

Mfg. Description: Skill level 1.5, this is the perfect kit to use to learn how to cut fins! (Fliskits 2010 Spring Catalog)

=====

Rated as a Skill Level 1.5, the Avalear is a perfect 2nd or 3rd rocket kit to build!

Working hard to bring you the best that model rocketry has to offer, FlisKits is proud to bring you our newest beginner kit, the Avalear!

With a desire to use our beginner kits to teach the builder different skills on their way to higher skill levels, the Avalear focuses on cutting fins.

The Avalear comes with a sheet of balsa fin stock and patterns for the two different shape fins (6 fins in all). The fin shapes are simple in design making cutting with a straight edge quite easy.

Additionally, the kit includes a BT-19 dummy motor tube that is glued to a Fin Alignment Template to make aligning the fins a breeze!

The end result is a fairly easy build, a sharp looking rocket and new skills that you can apply to your next model rocket kit!

The Avalear is also the commemorative kit of the 2008 New England Model Rocketry Convention (NEMROC '08) held in Amesbury, MA in October of 2008. The simplified build made it the perfect choice for the event build session and following launch. Originally one of 3 different designs from several years ago that eventually lead to the Triskelion kit, the Avalear would be a good choice after learning the skills taught with the Triskelion. (Fliskits 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-avalear%20sp020-2010%20cat%20spring.jpg
2010 Spring Catalog

fliskits-avalear%20sp020-2008%20web.jpg
2008 Web Ad
fliskits-avalear%20sp020-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

fliskits-avalear%20sp020-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back