Centuri - Lil' Hercules (KA-1 or #5001) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrent

Reaction score
I finished my SEMROC clone of the Centuri Lil' Hercules. As with the Micron I finished earlier, I wanted to make it look like the kit panel of an original I have. This was not as trivial a build as it would first appear.
The design calls for small washers to be glued to the fins to enable a true tumble recovery, but since you don't see them on the catalog models I went through the effort to embed them into the fins...

Kit%2BPanel.jpg
Complete%2B1.jpg

Embedding%2Bthe%2BWashers%2B1.jpg
Embedding%2Bthe%2BWashers%2B2a.jpg
Embedding%2Bthe%2BWashers%2B3.jpg
Embedding%2Bthe%2BWashers%2B4.jpg

All in all, I was pretty happy with the way it came out. It's definitely tail heavy!

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, Don!

Here's my Semroc Lil' Hercules model. I think it was the first Semroc kit I built.

Semroc Lil' Hercules.jpg

Welcome to the Centuri - Lil' Hercules (KA-1 or #5001) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Lil' Hercules (KA-1 or #5001) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Lil' Hercules: KA-1 or #5001
Semroc: Lil' Hercules: KV-14

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Lil' Hercules (KA-1 or #5001) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Lil' Hercules

KA-1 or #5001

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1983
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Tumble
Stages: 1
Length: 5.6"
Diameter: 0.75"
Span:
Weight: 0.16 oz

Mfg. Description: Perfect for the beginner in model rocketry. Designed exclusively for use with the 'S' or Series III engines. Extremely small and light weight, the Lil' Hercules streaks skyward and returns safely for many flights. Easy-to-build kit. (Centuri 1965 Catalog)

=====

Perfect for the beginner in model rocketry. Designed exclusively for use with the 'S' or Series III engines. Extremely small and light weight, the Lil' Hercules streaks skyward and returns safely for many flights. Easy-to-build. (Centuri 1968 Catalog)

=====

Perfect for the beginner in model rocketry. Designed exclusively for use with the 'S' or Series III engines. Extremely lightweight, the LIL' HERC streaks skyward and returns safely for many more great flights. Easy-to-build. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

The answer for the beginner in model rocketry. The world famous Lil' Herc is designed to use the short "S" type engines exclusively. Extremely light-weight -- yet rugged beyond belief -- this popular little beauty streaks to high altitudes and returns safely for many more great flights. Really the pee wee of the Centuri line, Lil' Herc is easy-to-build and fun to fly! (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

Perfect for the beginner in model rocketry. Designed for use only with short "S" engines, the LIL' HERCULES reaches high altitudes and returns safely for many more exciting flights. The light weight design of this rocket permits it to float gently back to earth without the requirement for a parachute or streamer. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-lil%20hercules-1965%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1965 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hercules-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1967 Catalog

centuri-lil%20hercules-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hercules-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog

centuri-lil%20hercules-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hercules-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog

centuri-lil%20hercules-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hercules-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog

centuri-lil%20hercules-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1982 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hercules-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1983 Catalog

centuri-lil%20hercules-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Lil' Hercules (KV-14) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Lil' Hercules, Lil' Herc

KV-14

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble
Stages: 1
Length: 6.5" (16.5 cm)
Diameter: 0.759" (1.9 cm)
Span: 3.4" (8.6 cm)
Weight: 0.3 oz (8.5 g)

Mfg. Description: 1965 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-lil%20hercules-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

semroc-lil%20hercules-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Flown on 8/19/13 as a tribute to Carl McLawhorn. I bought this bird in 2003 and finished it in 2013.

Back