Estes - Crossfire ISX (#1469) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Reaction score
I think we managed to make a pink rocket cool. My daughter wanted her Crossfire pink and I wanted it cool so this is what we came up with.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Picture 1622 (Small).jpg
    Picture 1622 (Small).jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes Crossfire ISX (#1469) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - Crossfire ISX (#1469) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Crossfire ISX (Tandem X Starter Kit): #1469
Estes: Crossfire ISX: #7220

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Crossfire ISX (#1469) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Crossfire ISX Also known as:

NUMBER: #1469 Part of Tandem-X Starter Set

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages:
Length: 15.6"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Two is better than one! You'll get X-tra value with the Estes Tandem-X Model Rocket Launch Set. This exceptional rocket set features a pair of extreme, high performance rockets with a launch system for launching them. Whether you're a new rocketeer or a seasoned veteran, launch in tandem for an exciting model rocket experience!

The E2X Amazon is as imposing as the name sounds. This giant towers almost three feet high and is quick and easy to build! A tiger-striped body tube, precolored plastic nose cone and fins and self-stick decals make building this rocket easy to do in about an hour. When flown on our standard engines, this huge rocket can reach heights over 650 feet with recovery on a colorful 18 inch preassembled parachute.

The Crossfire ISX is a Skill Level 1 kit that can easily be built in about a day. This rocket features a totally streamlined shape with aerodynamic fins and nose cone. It stands 15.6 inches tall. When launched with powerful Estes standard engines, this bullet can reach cloud busting heights up to 1,200 feet. A preassembled 12 inch parachute returns the Crossfire back to earth to launch again and again.

LAUNCH SYSTEM includes Electron Beam Launch Controller and Porta-Pad II Launch Pad. (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-crossfire%20isx%201469-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog
estes-crossfire%20isx%201469-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog
estes-crossfire%20isx%201469-2008%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2008 Catalog

estes-crossfire%20isx%201469-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-crossfire%20isx%201469-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the one I just finished.

One thing I decided to do was leave out the retainer clip and go for friction fit. However, the tail cone had a slot in it to allow for the clip. I used some tape and wood glue on the inside and putty filler sanded down on the outside. Primer and pain and you cannot even see it. Much cleaner look IMHO

2012-03-09_11-16-36_247.jpg

2012-03-09_11-16-51_301.jpg

2012-03-09_11-17-00_223.jpg

I just ordered one today. Looks like a fun Rocket as long as it is launched in as open a space as possible. One user said he had better luck with Streamer Recovery.

Here is mine. I didnt care for the strakes so I left them off

DSCF1691.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Estes Crossfire ISX (#7220) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Crossfire ISX Also known as:

NUMBER: #7220

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 15.6 in. (39.6 cm)
Diameter: 0.98 in. (25 mm)
Span:
Weight: 1.3 oz. (37 g)

Mfg. Description: No significant text in 2012 Catalog

=====

Now available seperately! The ever popular Crossfire ISX has always been a hit and will continue. Already have your launch system, this rocket is for you.

A great beginner kit that is hot in looks. Previously sold in the 1469 Tandem-X Launch Set, you can now purchase one of our most requested rockets by itself.

Powered by standard engines, this awesome rocket can go upwards of 1100 feet. Now that is high! (Estes 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-crossfire%20isx%207220-2012%20cat.jpg
2012 Catalog

=====​

estes-crossfire%20isx%207220-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-crossfire%20isx%207220-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I painted the nozzle before assembly. Easier than masking. Don't like stickers much...

I have one of these and I'm fond of it...I've rescued it a couple of times from trees and barbed-wire fences because it tends to drift too far on the 12-inch parachute...I'd show it but I'm embarrassed by the paint job...:blush:

Thinking of buying a new kit and doing a better version. This is what I'd do different:

1. Better surface prep---fill in tube spirals and spray with sandable primer.
2. Paper the fins and strakes...partly for smoother surface, but also because those strakes need a little reinforcing so they don't crack along the grain.
3. Try a smaller chute...I'm also experimenting with streamers and a chute slider
4. Kevlar shock cord leader. I dislike the tri-fold shock cord mount and the bottleneck it creates in the tube.
5. Ejection baffle, which I'll probably anchor the shock cord to. The chute's been spot-welded and singed a few times even with wadding...so it's either this or be less stingy with the wadding.
6. Better color scheme...I'm thinkin' teal with a black-and-white roll pattern. And I'm not a fan of the kit decals and didn't use them last time either.
7. Better fin mounting/filleting...the through-the-wall system is good, but not happy with results I got...I warped the tube wall a bit pushing the fin tabs into the slots and my fillets could be cleaner.

crossfire.jpg

Sorry about the small size. Here is my work in progress Crossfire. It flew in primer really well, haven't flown it since it was painted.

Thanks!

Jason

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 151
This was only my second rocket build, and I wanted to make my Crossfire look different from my friend's.

IMG_1273.jpg

Picked up the Tandem X package at a Michael's craft store, with their 50% off coupon this is a great deal. My 10 year old son picked this out from the other kits on the shelf because the Crossfire ISX max altitude is higher than any of the other kits, of course. I walked him through the instructions and made sure that he practiced all of the assembly steps dry-fitting before applying glue, but he basically built these kits himself. Working with the plastic cement on the Amazon was the most challenging as the metal tube squirts out real fast if you squeeze it too hard and it spider webs. We used the Testor's non-toxic version, but he did as well or better than I did at that age. Even with the laser cut fins on the Crossfire you have to cut some of the remaining notches to work them loose, and some corners can get nipped off, but easy enough to glue back on. We had enough extra balsa in the sheet to manually cut a spare fin. No decals on here yet, but the two rockets look great together. The Amazon does not have any paint on it, the Crossfire ISX is done in the white/red colors to match the picture on the box. Kind of reminds me of my first combo starter kit from Centuri that had the Screaming Eagle and Excalibur kits when I was about his age. Can't wait to fly them.
TandemX.jpg

I just ordered one today. Looks like a fun Rocket as long as it is launched in as open a space as possible. One user said he had better luck with Streamer Recovery.

One of my Earliest Posts to this Forum.
The ISX is a Gateway Rocket.

Coupla Crossfires racing:

[video=youtube_share;UqDbPQwme10]https://youtu.be/UqDbPQwme10[/video]

You can't just show something like that without telling a story, too.

It had been in a Tree since the 16th of June last year. I just went and picked up the body section today, having noticed that only the Nose Cone was still there in the Tree. You can read about it in the "Tribute to Treed Rockets" Thread in the Watering Hole.
I salvaged the Fins, Tail Cone and Motor Retention Hook, and have it all dry fit to a new body tube.:)
Crossfires never die, they just get rebuilt.

Treed Crossfire Rebuild 009.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea behind "A crossfire never dies"

On the left is Redcross II (Redcross I disappeared into the clouds a couple years ago).
On the right is Goldfinger II, a rebuild of my first Crossfire that accidentally went to Florida with a friend 3.5 years ago.
With woodfiller and Krylon gold paint, It weighs about .35 oz heavier than Redcross II, but still only weighs .1 oz over the design weight.
IMG_20161114_182246112_HDR.jpg

This was my first rocket that got me into the hobby so I scaled it up. This is the 2.6in version.
IMG_20161027_174808292.jpg

Back