Quest - Big Betty (#1014) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Reaction score
Just thought I'd show off my newly finished Big Betty. I wasn't really fond of the decals so I left them off. For my first build in over 20 years I think it turned out pretty good.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Picture 1621 (Small).jpg
    Picture 1621 (Small).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my Big Betty. Just finished her last night.

BIG_BETTY_WEB.jpg

Just thought I'd show off my newly finished Big Betty. I wasn't really fond of the decals so I left them off. For my first build in over 20 years I think it turned out pretty good.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Very nice! Looks like you retained your building skills.

Here is my Big Betty clone with a 24mm motor mount. I call it "My Feminine Side". A friend dared me to make a rocket with pink polka dots.

feminine_side25.jpg

feminine_side27.jpg

IMGP6795.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP0618_edit.jpg
    IMGP0618_edit.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 70
Being a huge fan of stagers, I had pondered several times the notion of using a Big Bertha to build an ersatz upscale Astron Apogee II when I picked up my first Big Betty at a Hobby Lobby sale. I built it only to lose it (along with my 24/40 case) at NARAM back in 2003. I later built this replacement. It uses 24mm power and a built-up 38mm coupler to join the lower stages.

In keeping with the Apogee II model, I added a fourth fin. But I kept the (then) stock Big Betty paint scheme. In fact, I hunted around a while to find a suitable shade of orange, then had to wait for the right dew point conditions before applying it so that it wouldn't blush.

I lost the original decal and fashioned this one from memory. Alas, the "Big" shoulda been bigger while the "BETTY" should have been in lower case ('cept for the B).

I love the rocket, and enjoy flying it. But, in hindsight, if I wanted to do tribute to the Apogee II, I should have used a paint scheme more in keeping with that. A clear payload section would have been hard/impossible to find, but a white or silver one would suffice. So, if I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the Apogee II paint scheme. Doug

Last edited:
I built my Betty for an EMRR article, comparing it to three other low & slow birds, the Semroc Vega, Estes Big Bertha, and Holverson Tangent. Betty didn't do too bad, despite the ill-fitting nose cone and overly thick sticker decal.

Lowslow-Brocket-QuestBigBetty.jpg

I built my Betty for an EMRR article, comparing it to three other low & slow birds, the Semroc Vega, Estes Big Bertha, and Holverson Tangent. Betty didn't do too bad, despite the ill-fitting nose cone and overly thick sticker decal.

Lowslow-Brocket-QuestBigBetty.jpg
What color is that? I like it. I just got one Im starting to build.

Welcome to the Quest Big Betty (#1014) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Quest Big Betty (#1014) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Quest: Big Betty: #1014

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Quest Big Betty (#1014) Basic Information.

quest.gif
Quest Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Big Betty Also known as:

NUMBER: #1014

Introduced: 1993
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 23in / 58.4cm
Diameter: 1.576in / 40mm
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: As the older and slightly more experienced cousin of the Quest Bright Hawk model rocket, the Quest Big Betty is a classic model rocket kit featuring balsa wood fins and the largest diameter body tube in the Level I product line. This is one of our most popular model rockets - so if you're looking for a nice big rocket that flies like a dream... look no further! (Quest 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

quest-big%20betty%201014-2000%20cat.jpg
2000 Catalog

quest-big%20betty%201014-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

quest-big%20betty%201014-face%201.jpg
quest-big%20betty%201014-face%202.jpg
quest-big%20betty%201014-face%203.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

quest-big%20betty%201014-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Got to launch Betty June 9th 2023, beautiful day to fly!
Betty_Launch.jpgBetty_Launch2.jpg

It was a perfect flight and recovered with no damage.

Back