FlisKits - Mudwasp (MX013) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The MudWasp is a pretty big 6-fin model that just seems too heavy as a single MMX motor model.
Granted I did add some mass by completely filling the grain in all those fins and Nose cone, the extra length 90lb kevlar shockline & 3/4" x 10 Red military grade teflon streamer... but at just a little under 8 inchs (7.92") with a 3.32" finspan, an Ewt of 14.7grams, LOWT of 15.8g is just a little much with all the DRAG of the outer T3 body tubes and fins.
I'm looking at adding a few (2 or 4) T2+ motor tubes with stops to the inside coretube side of some outer T3 tubes to turn the model into an in-line 3 motor or a (core+4) 5-motor cluster. Either set-up should help with the very low altitude performance flight problem.
Just trying to decide if I want to extend the T2+ almost the entire length of the outer T3's, capping and side venting them back down the strap-ons or leave them minimum length and open top, hoping the burn thru with vent backwards in flight. Tis a puzzle???

Post copied with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the paint is very good.

Reference :
00N0R070H0U0Z0W03RQQL020L0I0DQ20K0W0TRKQNR70WRLQWRRQCQG0NR3K1RMQTR0Q007Q3RHQ.jpg

However. When I build mine, I'm thinking more on the lines of the T-Hawk look.

Reference :
TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

It just seems like a meaner motherf***er... :surprised::tongue:

As a continuation of my building habit of making a model, a goony, and a cardmodel, I present my very recently finished Flis Mudwasp. As you can see in the photos, there is no cardmodel, as the cardmodel would have been the same as the cool Mudwasp from Fliskits, and it would have simply been copying.

For the paint schemes, I must thank WizardOfAZ in the Mudwasp Gallery thread for providing images of real life mudwasps and thunderhawks. (I assume the thunderhawk is in the wasp family. If not, I'd guess that it is from another planet.) I painted the Flis mudwasp (the smaller rocket) in the irridescent blue and black of the wasp. I painted the goony in metallic black and yellow/orange for the fins representations of the wings to emulate the thunderhawk.

The goony was made to emulate the Mudwasp's ring of tubes by using 12 BT5's wrapped around the 6" BT60 body of the goony. This fit almost exact, and only needed some thin shims which I inserted below each of the fins. It takes 18mm engines.

I had read that a micromaxx engine was barely enough to lift the Mudwasp, so I modded it to take 1 or 3 engines. The outer 2 simply blow the ejection charge out the top of the tubes. We'll see how well that works once I launch it.

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 71
As I indicated above, I had modified by mudwasp for three engines based on rumors that it was a bit heavy for a single MicroMaxx engine. Well, with the good weather we had today in the Northwest, I decided to try it.

Of course, my painting technique tends to add mass, so my results will differ a bit amongst each builder. But, I can agree that with a single engine, the mudwasp flies pretty low. I was kinda worried that it wouldn't eject before it hit the ground. No height estimates since that's not my forte, but it wasn't really high. I was still a fun flight, and the Mudwasp does look cool as it flies.

With three engines - all three lit, yay! - the flight was impressive. Its a large enough model to keep in sight as it flies, and it flew high for a MMaxx model. I did like that method.

But, as a variant, I also launched it with a piston launcher that I got from eBay. (Yes, they can be built by hand really easily, which I'll do now that I see how easily.) The piston launcher was a bit tough to prep, but I was happy with the results. It uses no launch rod, and it launched the Mudwasp about 2/3s as high as three engines did, give or take.

Welcome to the FlisKits Mudwasp (MX013) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the FlisKits Mudwasp (MX013) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

FlisKits: Mudwasp: MX013

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
FlisKits Mudwasp (MX013) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
FlisKits

MODEL NAME: Mudwasp Also known as:

NUMBER: MX013

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Tube Fin
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Spreamer
Stages: 1
Length: 7.92"
Diameter: 0.375"
Span: 3.32"
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Perfect beginner Micro model, the Mudwasp features laser cut basswood fins and a super easy assembly. (FlisKits 2010 Catalog)

=====

This new addition to the FlisKits fleet of Micro to the MAXXTM models features a very cool look while providing for a very easy build! Rated as a Skill Level 1 model, the Mudwasp is a very easy build making use of the tube and fin design to make for nearly error proof assembly. As with any micro model, there is still the challenges provided by the use of very small parts, so care must be taken during assembly.

Another advantage of this design is that it is stocky, wide and very draggy. This will result in lower overall flights which can be a good thing some times. The Mudwasp is suitable for use in very small fields and her bright Mylar streamer will bring her back very close to the launch pad! (FlisKits 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-mudwasp%20mx013-2010%20cat%20spring.jpg
2010 Spring Catalog

fliskits-mudwasp%20mx013-2011%20web.jpg
2011 Web Ad
fliskits-mudwasp%20mx013-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
With the Renaissance Faire garbage (well to me anyway) going on, SCRA is relegated to a small area of the Santa Fe Recreational area. However all is not plague and empty tankards. The area is covered in green stuff I have heard is called 'Grass'. And this area forces me to think more about small rockets and small motors. It's a great excuse to break out the 1/8A through A rockets and simply have a hoot.

BTW: I was having a sub optimal day behind the camera. Not always, but these things do happen. First it was over cast so I had to compensation with higher ISO and a tad bit slower shutter. Second I think my diopter adjustment got moved so what looked focused to me, was a tad off. Third I was just screwing around having fun. ;)

First I launched the Flis Mudwasp... no choices here. Just a MicroMaxx II motor and off it goes to about 50 to 70 feet. Perfect flyer and everyone loves it. Streamer deployed on Que and all was well!

8625357513_43ede5fef6_b.jpg

Wheeee

8625358369_1a64d62b35_b.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Back