Estes - Tornado (#2004) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another Mapleseed recovery type model is Estes Tornado.
I decided to add it to the mapleseed helio recovery downscales to round out the group.
At T3 it did provide a bit of a challange getting the mating halves to stay together. with .032" Basswood fins reinforced with a vary small amount of .5oz glass at the joints it's proven to be a very Nice Spinner. If you build on be very clear about the need for fluorescent colors on the parts and at least two pair of eyes on the models during boost/seperation. It's a tough job as she's Super fast off the pad. Once seperated both parts tend to stay pretty close on the way down usually landing within 10-15feet from each other.
Great flying model with an Ewt. of only 3.6grams LOWt. 4.7 it's GONE. I've yet to catch more the a smoke trail...but super to watch on the way down

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• MM 338-sm_Micro Tornado (T3)_10-02-07.jpg
    MM 338-sm_Micro Tornado (T3)_10-02-07.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice rockets! I've been trying to get a set of plans for it but, been having a heck of a time. Hopefully, will b approved by Art and can access plans. I've been a big fan of arts "paper rockets" for a long time. I've enclosed pics of my latest creation, even though not a micro. Heard talk would make a great "upscale". Why not a micro too. Anyone up to the challenge? It's an "Astron Starlight," that made it's first appearance in 1967. TTY Glenn NAR 89197

Attachments

• starlight 003.jpg
    starlight 003.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 57
The Estes Twister. This rocket is the same as the Tornado but sold under a different name and decals as part of the "Super Shot" Starter Set.

_MG_5390.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes Tornado (#2004) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Tornado (#2004) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Tornado: #2004
Estes: Twister: #1449
MMWW: Tornado: #338

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Tornado (#2004) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Tornado Also known as:

NUMBER: #2004

Introduced: 1989
Final Year: 1998
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Maple Leaf
Stages: 1
Length: 9.6"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.49 oz

Mfg. Description: `Recovery with a new twist from flights to 1700 feet! When the engine's ejection charge is activated Tornado separates into two sections, each employing spinning helicopter recovery. (Estes 1989 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-tornado%202004-1989%20cat.jpg
1989 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-tornado%202004-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Twister (#1449) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Twister Also known as:

NUMBER: #1449

Introduced: 1993
Final Year: 2003
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Maple Leaf
Length: 9.6"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.49 oz

Mfg. Description:

Editorial Note: Part of Super Shot Starter Set No relation to Estes Twister #3033

Advertising Liveries

estes-twister%201449-1993%20cat.jpg
1993 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-twister%201449-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-twister%201449-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) Tornado (#338) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: Tornado (T3) Maple Seed Recovery Also known as:

NUMBER: #338

Introduced: 2007
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Maple Seed
Length: 5"
Diameter: 0.375"
Span: 1.635"
Weight: 3.6g

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

mmww-(estes)%20tornado%20338-plan.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20tornado%20338-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

mmww-(estes)%20tornado%20338-face.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:

Mine was a vintage Tornado that was missing a few pieces. Very happy with how it turned out until it came time to put on the decal.

I'd love to see how the recovery system works on this - I find all kinds of photos of what it looks like together, but nothing about how it works. Anyone have video or anything?

The Estes Twister. This rocket is the same as the Tornado but sold under a different name and decals as part of the "Super Shot" Starter Set.

_MG_5390.JPG

Just found one of thesea few weeks ago in a box of rocketry stuff that was given to me. Started building it a couple days ago. Took a few google searches to find this pic and description. Should have known to look on this site first!

My box of old rocket kits had this one in it, I have it built and in primer. Thinking of painting it in the spring, its the Twister model that came in that super shot kit.

I hear launching it with an A8-3 that you may lose it. I have some 1/2A6-2 standard size, was thinking if anyone launched it with a mini engine to standard adapter with success?

WrC6A1r.jpg

My box of old rocket kits had this one in it, I have it built and in primer. Thinking of painting it in the spring, its the Twister model that came in that super shot kit.

I hear launching it with an A8-3 that you may lose it. I have some 1/2A6-2 standard size, was thinking if anyone launched it with a mini engine to standard adapter with success?

WrC6A1r.jpg

Can't answer your question, but can make a request. Please scan the decals along with a ruler for me. Instructions would be a bonus!

Thanks!
Jim

Got my Twister finished.
Its fun to fly!

Twister.jpg

I normally take time to scan the documentation on the kits I build.
I did scan the Twister materials and put it together in a PDF.
This includes the decals and fin sheet.
I could email it if needed.

Got my Twister finished.
Its fun to fly!

View attachment 308880

I normally take time to scan the documentation on the kits I build.
I did scan the Twister materials and put it together in a PDF.
This includes the decals and fin sheet.
I could email it if needed.
Just found a old twister but it was missing the two smaller bottom fins so I’m trying to scratch build them out of scrap balsa so any measurements you could get would be appreciated along with the instructions if you have them

Back