SCALE - (Atlantic Research) Iris Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since we have the only know remaining example of the Atlantic Research Iris sounding rocket outdoors locally at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. This model is particularly special to me.
It was a couple years ago now that Per Karlsson (Balltip of TRF) did a wonderful build thread on his all Scratch built model using most of the dimensions I took from the above mentioned full size vehicle.
He also did a very Nifty T2+ minimum Diameter (1:44.7 Scale) paper wrap and fin micro model page. It's a wonderful flying model I enjoy flying often.

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• MM 335a1-sm_MM Iris NASA 44.7046 Scale_09-01-07.jpg
    MM 335a1-sm_MM Iris NASA 44.7046 Scale_09-01-07.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 137
  • MM 335Lp01a-sm_MM IRIS onPad 1st flt_09-22-07.jpg
    MM 335Lp01a-sm_MM IRIS onPad 1st flt_09-22-07.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 133
  • MM 335Lp01b1-sm_MM Iris on pad_09-22-07.jpg
    MM 335Lp01b1-sm_MM Iris on pad_09-22-07.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 127
  • MM 335Lp01b2-sm_MM Iris Mid-Flight_09-22-07.jpg
    MM 335Lp01b2-sm_MM Iris Mid-Flight_09-22-07.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Painted my Iris today,now I went against tradition and decided to paint it different from the original paint scheme.Hope the rocket gods forgive me.:DHere a few pictures.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• semroc iris 002.jpg
    semroc iris 002.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 92
  • semroc iris 001.jpg
    semroc iris 001.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 77
Here is a pic or two of my Yank Iris. I built it with a zipperless design and modified it for dual deploy. I flew it at MWP 9 on an AT K513FJ and got lucky to have it included in the video. I hadn't got the paint done, so it was just white at MWP.

Adrian

Here is a pic or two of my Yank Iris. I built it with a zipperless design and modified it for dual deploy. I flew it at MWP 9 on an AT K513FJ and go lucky to have it included in the video. I hadn't got the paint done, so it was just white at MWP.

Adrian

It looks nice.

Can you give me some information on it?

Yank? Is that a company? If so, do you have any literature, instructions, etc?

JAL3,

Yank Enterprises was a small rocket company from Plymouth, WI. I got the kit from Ross @ Magnum Hobbies, so that tells you right there that I've sat on it a while :blush: They had a great line of kits using "flexible" phenolic. I always was gonna get their 5.5" Iris, but decided to go with the 4" for some reason. Now I wish I would have gotten that one instead. I'm pretty sure LOC bought out Yank and offered a few of the kits for a while, but not the full line. I don't know the details about the sale, just remembered that it happened. It looks like Performance Hobbies still has some Yank kits. Rocketry Planet has some old reviews and such.
Adrian

JAL3,

Yank Enterprises was a small rocket company from Plymouth, WI. I got the kit from Ross @ Magnum Hobbies, so that tells you right there that I've sat on it a while :blush: They had a great line of kits using "flexible" phenolic. I always was gonna get their 5.5" Iris, but decided to go with the 4" for some reason. Now I wish I would have gotten that one instead. I'm pretty sure LOC bought out Yank and offered a few of the kits for a while, but not the full line. I don't know the details about the sale, just remembered that it happened. It looks like Performance Hobbies still has some Yank kits. Rocketry Planet has some old reviews and such.
Adrian

I appreciate the information. It will help with the indexing.

Here's my zipperless dual deploy 5.5" scratch build as well, flown on K-550's and hybrids in the mid 90's.

Frank

Is that a kit or a scratch? If a kit, which one?

Thanks for posting.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Never mind. I see the word "Scratch" staring at me now.

Thanks again.

Hi, that's a scratch build. Iris scratch builds are pretty straight forward. On this I used loc 5.5" tubing, loc nose cone, scratch 1/8" fiberglass ttw fins, zipperless construction, with altimiter deployment and separate chutes and bags for the top and bottom. Weighed around 20 pounds rtf with a hybrid.

Frank

Is that a kit or a scratch? If a kit, which one?

Thanks for posting.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Never mind. I see the word "Scratch" staring at me now.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the SCALE (Atlantic Research) Iris Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Iris sounding rocket and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Iris: KC-14 or #5074
Rocket R&D: Iris (4"):
Semroc: Iris: KD-4
Yank: Iris (2"):
Yank: Iris (3"):
Yank: Iris (4"):

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The Iris sounding rocket was built by Atlantic Research under contract from the rocket group of the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL). It was designed to combine the smooth acceleration profile of the liquid-fueled Aerobee with the simpler operation of solid-propellant rockets. When NRL's rocket group was transferred to NASA, the Iris became a NASA program. The first launch of the rocket occurred on 22 July 1960.

The Iris was fired from a launch tower, which stabilized the vehicle until the speed was high enough for the fins to become effective. A booster consisting of 7 clustered solid-fueled rockets provided a the initial accleration, and fell free before the Iris left the tower. With a payload of 45 kg (100 lb), the sounding rocket could reach an altitude of 320 km (200 miles). However, the Iris was apparently not regarded as a standard tool, because only four Iris rockets were launched by NASA (the last one in May 1962) with aeronomy payloads.

The U.S. Navy used the Iris rocket in the Hydra-Iris project. This vehicle was a modified three-finned Iris boosted by three Sparrow motors. It was launched from a floating, immersed sea platform. The advantage of this method was that the sounding rocket could be fired from any spot in the open ocean without the risk of a ship-board rocket launch. Between 10 August 1964 and 3 November 1968, eight Hydra-Iris rockets were launched, two of which failed. The payloads included magnetospheric, ionospheric and XR astronomy experiments.

Last edited:
Centuri Iris (KC-14 or #5074) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Iris Also known as:

NUMBER: KC-14 or #5074

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1975
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 16.75"
Diameter: 0.907"
Span: 3.75"
Weight: 0.90 oz

Mfg. Description: The IRIS model rocket is a true scale. operating miniature of the big sounding rocket produced by Atlantic Research Corp. for NASA and the Naval Research Laboratories. The "big" IRIS has the capability of lifting a 100 lb. payload to 200 miles altitude.

Now you can build this beautiful scale model yourself, watch it streak hundreds of feet upward, returning safely by a colorful parachute. An excellent model for both the beginning and advanced rocketeer. (Centuri 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog
1969 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

The Centuri IRIS model rocket is a true scale. operating miniature of the big Sounding Rocket produced by Atlantic Research Corp. for NASA and the Naval Research Laboratories. The real IRIS can lift a 100 lb. payload to 200 miles altitude. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-iris%20kc14-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog
centuri-iris%20kc14-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog
centuri-iris%20kc14-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
centuri-iris%20kc14-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-iris%20kc14-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Iris (KD-4) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Iris Also known as:

NUMBER: KD-4

Introduced: 2009
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 23.8" (60.4 cm)
Diameter: 1.17" (3.0 cm)
Span: 4.7" (11.9 cm)
Weight: 1.3 oz (36.9 g)

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

semroc-iris%20kd4-2009%20web.jpg
2009 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-iris%20kd4-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-iris%20kd4-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Yank Iris (4") Basic Information.

yank%20enteprises.gif
Yank Enterprises

MODEL NAME: Iris (4") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 80"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 85 oz

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

yank-iris%204-2000%20web.jpg
2000 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

yank-iris%204-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Yank Iris (3") Basic Information.

yank%20enteprises.gif
Yank Enterprises

MODEL NAME: Iris (3") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length: 60"
Diameter: 3"
Span:
Weight: 40 oz

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

yank-iris%203-2000%20web.jpg
2000 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

yank-iris%203-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Yank Iris (2") Basic Information.

yank%20enteprises.gif
Yank Enterprises

MODEL NAME: Iris (2") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length: 39"
Diameter: 2"
Span:
Weight: 16 oz

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

yank-iris%202-2000%20web.jpg
2000 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

yank-iris%202-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

yank-iris%202-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Rocket R&D Iris (4") Basic Information.

rocket%20rnd%20trf.gif
Rocket R&D

MODEL NAME: Iris (4") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 67"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

rocket%20rnd-iris%20(4)-2013%20web%20performance.jpg
2013 Web Ad Performance Hobbies

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here's a three inch scratch build that I got my level one with. I know it needs stickers.

rockets-359.jpg

Attached are a few photos of my recently complted Iris from the Semroc kit (KD-4).

White, black, and red paints are Duplicolor lacquer (as is the primer) while the nose and tailcone are Spaz Stix mirror chrome enamel over their black backer paint.

The kit includes little laser-cut pieces that replicate the fin mounting plates the real rocket has. Unfortunately the kit only provides plates for the forwardmost and center positions, so I ordered an additional set then modified the rearmost position of the fins to accommodate. Similarly the kit includes bands around the body tube at the top of the body and at the rear, but does not include bands for the forward and center positions of the fins. I used cardstock to make my own, which also meant I needed to modify the fins to further inset those little mounting plates to account for the extra 'width' of the body tube at those points (so the roots of the fins could meet the body tube).

Rolling the dice from a structural perspective, I also removed a small amount of the root of the fin below that rearmost band, so that they are above the body tube (the real rocket is this way also). Hopefully this doesn't result in the back of the fins being too weak such that they end up damaged upon landing.

Attachments

• Iris_1.jpg
    Iris_1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Iris_2.jpg
    Iris_2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Iris_3.jpg
    Iris_3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 46
Attached are a few photos of my recently complted Iris from the Semroc kit (KD-4).

White, black, and red paints are Duplicolor lacquer (as is the primer) while the nose and tailcone are Spaz Stix mirror chrome enamel over their black backer paint.

The kit includes little laser-cut pieces that replicate the fin mounting plates the real rocket has. Unfortunately the kit only provides plates for the forwardmost and center positions, so I ordered an additional set then modified the rearmost position of the fins to accommodate. Similarly the kit includes bands around the body tube at the top of the body and at the rear, but does not include bands for the forward and center positions of the fins. I used cardstock to make my own, which also meant I needed to modify the fins to further inset those little mounting plates to account for the extra 'width' of the body tube at those points (so the roots of the fins could meet the body tube).

Rolling the dice from a structural perspective, I also removed a small amount of the root of the fin below that rearmost band, so that they are above the body tube (the real rocket is this way also). Hopefully this doesn't result in the back of the fins being too weak such that they end up damaged upon landing.
Awesome awesome job Dave. You are a perfectionists. It is a beautiful rocket. My next one I will do the fins red like you did.I live in Virginia on the eastern shore in Exmore. About 1 hour north of Norfolk on US 13. We were granted a nice big Farm field until march to fly when we want. Its in Mappsburg Va. about 10 minutes north of us . About 1500 feet wide by over a half mile. AntaresJS is going to come by soon and fly his rockets with us .It should be fun. If you are close by you are welcome to join us.

I am looking to make a two-stage IRIS with both the 7x cluster as well as the Hydra 3x cluster variant.

There are some good photos of the 7x cluster booster version. However, the only pictures I can find of the Hydra 3x cluster version are the ones below. Does anyone have other pictures of the Hydra version (particularly of the nozzles on the booster)?
1690804362232.jpeg
1690804739012.png
1690804381121.jpeg
For the Hydra version (3x booster cluster) I am relying on dimensions in this document. Planning this for BT-80/2.6" main sustainer which makes the booster tubes BT-60 according to my calculations. I think making this for BT-80 and 2.6" tubes gives good options to go MPR or HPR.
1690804240420.png

Back