Spool Rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can I downscale a Spool Rocket? Will it back tumble like the full size CD spool rockets? Had to find out..
My Micro Spool consists of two 1-1/2" x .040" Clear Polycarbonate discs covered with adhesive backed Party pack metalflake mylar. core tube is standard T2+ with an outer sleeve of T2++ between the discs covered with silver adhesive backed mylar. epoxied the discs at the ends of the motor tube with the spacer sleeve epoxy mounted between the disc. 3/16" T2 motor stop allows the MMX-II motor to extend 1/8" for the 1/8" projecting T2+ motor tube allowing friction and external taping.
a simple .052" hole beside the OD of the core tube aligned in both disc's serve as Launch lugs. Total Ewt = 3.9g LOWt: 5grams. Max altitude 25feet and yep at apogee it flipps backwards, spinning wildly all the way to the ground. KEWL in any size;)

Post copied with permission

MM 334a2-sm_1.5in dia micro Spool Daz OddRoc_08-31-07.JPG

MM 334Lp01a-sm_MM SpoolDaz on Pad 1st Flt_09-22-07.jpg

MM 334Lp06_Micro Spool Daze on pad_04-19-08.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are photos of a couple of rockets that I built that are literally spool rockets. The airframes are actual wooden thread spools. I constructed the two of them in about a half an hour. They are in fact stable, and have, umm, amusing flights. ;)

Hey, what can I say?

My build article for them is here.

DSCF0631.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0623.jpg

Here we go

The Armageddon Industries Spool o'Doom

I think Dan Michael tossed this at me and said "fly this...."

Roughly 13" in dia, 12" long, and less than $1 is junk parts to make it work. The MMT is a leftover part of a KwickSwitch 38 tube, the parachute I found somewhere.

Retention is a window clip I found on the ground - held in with a drywall screw. The hard point is an eye bolt from a crashed rocket I found in a dumpster.

I fly it on a Loki I110 (4 sec burn) when I can get them.

Here are photos of a couple of rockets that I built that are literally spool rockets. The airframes are actual wooden thread spools. I constructed the two of them in about a half an hour. They are in fact stable, and have, umm, amusing flights. ;)

Thanks Mark!
I've got another project now thanks to your post.
I never thought of using an actual thread spool before. And, it's wooden, not plastic. Perfect.

Standard 4-7/8" (CD) size spools are also a lot of fun. making the dics out of .040" Polycarbonate removes the necessity to repair one of the discs after each flight. On it's 10th flight, a C6-0 cato'ed distroying the body tube but both dics were completely unhurt and reused to rebuild...now on it's 21 flight:)

454a-sm_CD Spool Rocket (18mm)_11-12-06.jpg

454b-a1-sm_Spool Daz! Polycarbonate Disc Odd-Roc.JPG

454Lp17a-sm_CD Spool DAZ on Pad_06-21-08.jpg

454Lp12a_4.75in Spool Daze on Bad B6-0_04-19-08.JPG

454lp12b-sm_B6-0 Spool Daze all I got was smoke_04-19-08.JPG

Squirrel Works Too Cool for Spool.
Two stage spool rocket.
0129200731.jpg

LOC Cool Spool.
29mm motor mount.
0129200842.jpg

Hmmm, there seems to be a theme here......
Oh yeah, spools are cool!:cool:

Have you ever seen this before - motor exhaust gases trapped between the plates on liftoff?

That's cool, but how do gases coming out the rear of the motor get up in between the plates?

That's cool, but how do gases coming out the rear of the motor get up in between the plates?
Great question, with no clear answer... My best SWAG is that enough gas was bounced upward by the blast deflector to surround the spool as it started upward, which was then carried upward for a short distance before eventually dissipating.

I'm just glad that club member Deanna was there to get the photo!

Back