Estes - Magician (#2440) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
The magician is the most impressive kit i've bought from Estes. I substituted the balsa nose cone with the pointed nose cone from Estes "Skywriter" kit, and I mean, this sucker goes HIIIIIIIIIIGH on an E-9! It's a great kit, but make sure you sand the edges razor sharp, and evenly (I passed on the decals, and painted mine metallic red & black. Oh, i'll just attach a pic!

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• arcas.jpg
    arcas.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of putting one together. I will post a picture of it here alongside with the original Estes Magician (circa 1986) which I also have here (on loan from my father) once it is complete.

My Magician...on the pad, then all thats left to see in the blink of an eye! These are awsome rockets E9-4. or D's with spacer supplied with mine,(from Estes).

Attachments

• 021311 053.jpg
    021311 053.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 021311 055.jpg
    021311 055.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 71
Well here is the completed rocket, after a few paint problems and a near disastrous decal incident, It turned out pretty nice. And weather permitting I'm going to try to launch it this Saturday. I have to say I'm mildly disappointed in the fit of the transition and the plastic payload section, the payload is way over sized and the and the transition fit is loose I had to make significant modifications to get both to get them to seat properly. Even with all that it is a nice looking kit and sure to be a favorite.

TA

Attachments

• mgich.jpg
    mgich.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 71
I had too look..but i DID actually manage to get a shot of my Magician leaving the pad...usually miss it..These are FAST!! (E9's help!) You will love to fly yours, hope you do soon. (Sorry, pictures sideways..Oops)

031911 080.jpg

I built an Estes Magician and flew it for the first time at the SCRA launch on August 6th.

Another modeller had the same model and flew it on a D12. Boy, did it scoot!

I decided to go with less power and flew mine on an Estes C11-3 motor. My Altimeter Two unit was on-board and gave the following information after the flight:

Velocity: 117 mph

Altitiude: 439 ft.

Burn Time: .6 sec.

Peak Acceleration: 19.2 g

Average Acceleration: 8.6 g

Coast to Apogee: 5.5 sec.

Apogee to ejection: -2.4 sec. (I guess I need to use a C11-5 ;) )

Ejection altitude: 395 ft.

Descent Speed: 4 mph

Flight Duration: 65 sec.

Even with a C11 motor this rocket really was quick off the pad! :eek:

Estes Magician.jpg

Estes Magician awaiting launch.jpg

Estes Magician launches on C11-3 motor.jpg

Estes Magician climbs away.jpg

As promised, I am posting a picture of my father's Estes Magician (circa 1985) and my Estes Magician (2010) together. They will both fly next month. My father's will fly on a D12-5 and mine will fly on a E9-6. My father's has not flown in 26 years and is still in excellent condition.

Magicians.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Magician (#2440) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Magician (#2440) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Magician: #2440

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Magician (#2440) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Magician Also known as:

NUMBER: #2440

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Payload
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 33.5 in. (85 cm)
Diameter: 1.33 in. (34 mm)
Span:
Weight: 3.5 oz. (100 g)

Mfg. Description: Conjure up some special, space magic with the Magician! No tricks up anyone's sleeve here, just a super high performance payload model rocket. The talented Estes rocket shop designers have spun their magic to create an enormous, supersized payload rocket. The Magician can handle all the power you put in the motor tube to send it on a magical mystery tour of the atmospheric kind!

This sorcerer stands an impressive 33.5 inches tall and has a clear payload section. You can launch just about anything into space. Well, not quite anything, but it's sure to hold a small race car, an action figure, or whatever your imagination can dream up. If it fits into the payload section, launch it!

A Skill Level 3 rocket, this kit comes with high quality laser cut wood fins and waterslide decals. Designed to be flown on D or *E engines, this rocket will scream off the launch pad to heights over 1600 feet. Getting this illusionist back to earth is magically accomplished on a colorful preassembled 18 inch parachute. (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-magician%202440-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog
estes-magician%202440-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Estes 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-magician%202440-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-magician%202440-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
This was one of my first builds after getting into rockets with my husband. This is one of my favorites! Has had 1 successful flight so far.

LilLady.jpglillady2.jpg

Hi I'm currently building this rocket, I'm a bit concerned that the nose cone will fall off after the chute pops. Did any of you use anything special to insure this does not happen?

Hi I'm currently building this rocket, I'm a bit concerned that the nose cone will fall off after the chute pops. Did any of you use anything special to insure this does not happen?

When you have a loose cone, try wrapping a bit of tape around the base of the cone to make for a tighter friction fit.

When Sharon built hers, (with no PINK paint) she used clear packing tape to hold the N/C onto the plastic BT. She also stuck T-pins right through the plastic into the balsa wood of the transition to hold that together.

Here is mine... i think of stars when i think of magic... my son helped me put them on

20120914_222957.jpg

Here's my Magician. It's mainly going to be a night flier, so I've installed a light in the payload section.

2012-11-22_19-21-10_13.jpg

2012-11-22_19-21-32_191.jpg

So whats the biggest motor you guys have flown on ??
I'm gonna fly my second one on a E30-7T ProSeries this weekend- hope it lives :eyepop:

I finally flew mine last month on a D12-5. Flew great. Here it is on the pad........DSC03476.jpg

I finished my Estes Magician today.

This was a 'give it your best' build. Instead of silver I opted for silver/grey to give the nose cone section a better contrast to the white body.

I'm very happy with the finish but disappointed with the fin decals. As you can see they don't come close to the outline of the fins :mad:

Estes_Magician.jpg

Last edited:
Like jeffgeraci, I substituted the nosecone from my retired Skywriter. I also flipped the fins for a more traditional look and opted for a more sinister paint job :dark:

Daughter's Magician called Peguony

[Youtube]9KCxXgG0HBY[/youtube]
[Youtube]Q1sJWvTVJSU[/youtube]
e8dac7196583b3ae5c2ade4e498f6f7f.jpg

I finished my Estes Magician today.

This was a 'give it your best' build. Instead of silver I opted for silver/grey to give the nose cone section a better contrast to the white body.

I'm very happy with the finish but disappointed with the fin decals. As you can see they don't come close to the outline of the fins :mad:

Is it possible that the fin decals were applied upside down?

Here's my Magician I recently completed. Like the above posts, I couldn't get the fin decals to line up. But I can't upload a picture anymore. 😕

Back