Centuri - Taurus Fleet Ship (KB-3 or #5033) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This 2.4x downscale was a ture labor of love... This Design has been a favorite for decades and just had to be done with micro power.
I first wanted to try to make it work on a single MMX-II motor but with all the transitions add-on parts and multi-color paint it came out just a little heavier then I wanted.
Yes, it flew as a single stage model but only to about 10-12 feet just not good enough for this Majestic classy model. My first inclination was to just increase the size of the three outboard rocket booster pods to T2+ making the model a 4 motor cluster but that would change the outline more then I wanted so I decided to build a second lower section with a built-in two motor cluster.
This worked out well making the model more the fight worthy getting respectable 35-45 feet on a pair of MMX-II's.

Post copied with permission

MM 317lp01a1-sm_MM Taurus 1st flt onPad(86dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

MM 317lp01a3-sm_MM Taurus 1st flt onPad(90dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

mm 317b-p11a_Taurus cluster on Pad(110dpi)_08-19-06.jpg

mm 317b-p11c_Cluster Liftoff Close (128dpi)_08-19-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful, wonderful builds, great detail on those outboard wings, do you have any video by the way?

Here is my scratch built Taurus from my early days as a BAR, around 2007. First time making my own NCs. The lower section has a baffle built into it. Hasn't flown in a while but it still looks good in its Admiraltry paint them.

Here she is at one of NARHAMS sport launches. Some pictures of the building thread can be found on the Archive Section.

taurus%20clone.jpg

I've built three in the past few years. First was a Moldin' Oldies bird with a 24mm engine mount.
MoldinOldiesTaurusNSL2007.jpg

Next was an all Semroc bird before Carl released it as a kit.
SemrocTaurusontheVOApad.jpg

There were some problems encountered with a hot Estes ejection charge.
SemrocTaurus-TheBitterEnd.jpg

Finally, an upscale.
Taurussizecomparison.jpg

Flew great and looked great leaving the pad, but it found the VOA access road on two of the three flights it made.
Taurusupscaleleavesthepad.jpg

Here's one built in the mid 1990s from an original Centuri kit.

I noticed the Taurus is missing from plans.rocketshoppe.com - if anybody here can help with that it would be a Good Thing :cheers:

20110810_Centuri_Taurus_r2.jpg

Cool...mine needs some refinishing (bad clearcoat is starting to yellow) and I'll need to print some new decals if I do that.

Cool...mine needs some refinishing (bad clearcoat is starting to yellow) and I'll need to print some new decals if I do that.

I think they call that "patina".:cool:;)
When I got back into the hobby, I stripped and sanded the only survivor of my 1977-80 fleet, an Estes X-Wing Fighter. Regretted it ever since. You know that Semroc now has a Taurus kit, don't you?:rolleyes:

Patina, I like that :wink: Alas the #$%! Testors clear just keeps getting yellower with time. I don't mind doing some refinishing, it adds some challenges but a lot of times you can make improvements too. I'm currently working on a Centuri Merc-Redstone that turned a really shocking yellow. Got it all the way back down to primer, new decals are ready, found most of the capsule parts, it's looking pretty good. It will get artist grade topcoat this time. :D

I think my next Taurus will be an upscale for E-F motors.

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals/taurus.pdf
:wink:
My upscale was a 3x18mm cluster. Very cool leaving the pad, plenty of smoke and flame. It just had this annoying tendency to land on asphalt. It's still in pieces in my shop since the last hard landing. I like the idea of an E-F powered one. Post pics.:cool:

Welcome to the Centuri - Taurus Fleet Ship (KB-3 or #5033) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Taurus Fleet Ship (KB-3 or #5033) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Taurus Fleet Ship: KB-3 or #5033
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW): Taurus: #317
Moldin' Oldies: Taurus Fleet Ship:
Semroc: Taurus Fleet Ship: KV-42

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Taurus Fleet Ship (KB-3 or #5033) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Taurus Fleet Ship, Taurus

KB-3 or #5033

Introduced: 1972
Final Year: 1981
Designer:

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 23.3"
Diameter: 1.34"
Span:
Weight: 2.6 oz

Mfg. Description: You can fly this interstellar craft from the planet of Taurus at your next launch! This massive model of the proud Taurian ship is surprisingly easy to build. Kit comes with precision formed nose cones and two reducers, chrome trim, die-cut fins, quick change engine lock and exotic Taurian decals. For a real challenge, paint your two foot model in the Taurian Admiralty color! If you are unfamiliar with the extra terrestrial civilization of the Taurians, you'll learn about them in the kit's illustrated Science Fiction storysheet. (Centuri 1972 Catalog)

centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog
centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog
centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1981 Catalog

centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-facecard.jpg

centuri-taurus%20fleet%20ship-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW Micro Centuri Taurus (#317) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

Micro Centuri Taurus

Introduced: 2006
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Exotic, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 9.28"
Diameter: 0.591"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Micro Centuri Taurus (Plan)

mmww-centuri%20taurus-plan%20livery.jpg
Plan Image

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Moldin' Oldies Taurus Fleet Ship Basic Information.

moldin_oldies.gif
Moldin' Oldies

Taurus Fleet Ship

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Exotic, Clone
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Semroc Taurus Fleet Ship (KV-42) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Taurus Fleet Ship

KV-42

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Exotic, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 23.5" (59.7 cm)
Diameter: 1.34" (3.4 cm)
Span: 6.6" (16.8 cm)
Weight: 1.8 oz (51.1 g)

Mfg. Description: 1972 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-taurus%20fleet%20ship-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Another excellent Semroc Retro-Repro: The Taurus Fleet Ship.

I'm not much into fantasy or starship type models, but this one has converted me. The only suggestion I have is to paint the small "booster" cones before glueing them in. Otherwise, it's a wee bit inconvenient to mask. I know.

TaurusFleetShip.png

Back