PemTech - 3FNC Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdiscenza

Reaction score
I had some days of decent painting weather, so I finally finished the build.

I'm not the best at 2-color separation masking, so sorry if the edges are a bit jaggy.

The only thing remaining is a coat of Future once the paint has had about 10 days to cure.

Pemberton Technologies has another winner of a kit on their hands. If you are looking for an unusual kit to bring out to the next club launch, grab one of these!

G.D.

View attachment 43327 View attachment 43328 View attachment 43329 View attachment 43330 View attachment 43331

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• DSCF1012.jpg
    DSCF1012.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF1013.jpg
    DSCF1013.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF1016.jpg
    DSCF1016.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF1017.jpg
    DSCF1017.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF1018.jpg
    DSCF1018.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got a little impatient waiting to finish this one so I rushed it along a little. It didn't come out too bad but I did have a few decal issues. I forgot what a PITA little decals on little rockets can be.:bang:

Anyway here it is.

Post copied with permission

3fnc1.jpg

3fnc2.jpg

3fnc3.jpg

After a weeks postponement for wind, NARHAMS had their October launch. I
was lucky enough to attend. Even though there were very few people in
attendance, and I couldn't round up any kid helpers, I was able to fly all that I
brought. :cool:
After reading that Layne was going to have a LPR version of the 3FNC, I was
excited. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=14345&highlight=3fnc
Until I saw that it was going to be BT80 based. That's still a little bit
larger than I usually fly. So I just had to make a BT60 sized one. :blush:

For this flight I used an A8-3. It achieved a respectable altitude, and recovered
with no damage.

3fnc1 (Large).jpg

3fnc2 (Large).jpg

3fnc_launch (Large).jpg

The new one is done except for the top coat. Anyway, did the paint a little different on this one.

Attachments

• 3fnc1.jpg
    3fnc1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 3fnc2.jpg
    3fnc2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 3fncs.jpg
    3fncs.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 86
Welcome to the PemTech 3FNC Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the PemTech 3FNC and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

PemTech: 3FNC:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
PemTech 3FNC Basic Information.

pemberton.gif
Pemberton Technologies

MODEL NAME: 3FNC Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Layne Pemberton

Type: Exotic, Retro
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 22.8"
Diameter: 3"
Span: 14.5"
Weight: 20 oz

Mfg. Description: 3 Fins and a Nose Cone

Straight out of the 50's and right onto the flight line!

Our Team of Mad Scientists has taken the three fins and a nose cone concept to its farthest extreme with the result being our 3FNC, literally a nose cone with fins. The first in our "Silver Sci-fi Spaceship" line this sleek, sliver beauty is everything a rocket should be: short, stubby, stylish, and light weight with rakishly swept fins tipped with cool retro, fin-tip pods. Now with Through The Wall TTW fin mounting for greater strength.

Kit comes complete with 3" nose cone, 3" Phenolic body tube, extended 29mm Phenolic motor mount, plywood centering ring and fins, cool 3/8" dowel fin-tip pods, heavy-duty nylon chute, NOMEX heat shield, KEVLAR attachment cord, 9/16"nylon shock cord, attachment hardware, nose ballast, 1/4" launch lugs, wire motor retainer, tail transition material, water slide decals, heavy-duty wire motor retainer. Kit comes with a bonus CD containing illustrated instructions in DOC & PDF formats, RockSim files for all Pem-Tech Products and RockSim DEMO software! (PemTech 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

pemtech-3fnc-2010%20web.jpg
2010 Web Ad
pemtech-3fnc-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Who doesn't love a Llama carrying 3FNC? I used a F21W4 in an adapter. (I wrapped a tywrap through the wire motor clip and then around the nozzle. It worked... didn't melt...)

Because it take some manual dexterity and LLama Spit(tm) to get everything packed and crammed in, I decided to not trying an the the Altimeter Two hooked up in there. Once together, taking it apart even a little can mean starting the "Packing of the Chutes and LLamas" all over again... :wink::lol:

Layne if you see this, you will like it. (if you don't oh well... ;) )

Chief Llama reports go for main engine start...
8667585518_c91758124e_b.jpg

Main engine ignition!

8666483933_308b315628_b.jpg

And liftoff! Liftoff of the 3FNC on a mission to rescue all rocketeers from boring rockets!

8666484093_a15cef6cbd_b.jpg

3FNC Press to MECO over... (beep)
8666484271_92bd44a46e_b.jpg

.... Roger that ... press to MECO... (beep)
8666484593_e3346d273f_b.jpg

The flight was a bit more ballistic than usual. The motor retention worked great... and the 20 hours of chute packing paid off.

This next rocket is always fun fun fun... The Pemberton Technologies 3FNC (build thread is on TRF). Today sporting an OLD Aerotech F50. The kind with the specs printing on the casing. Came in the clear bubble pack.

9753539341_3b4193d617_b.jpg

One think about this rocket, packing the chute and cords is an art. Once packed... Leave it alone!! I tried to slip the Estes Altimeter in there, and had to repack everything, and still did not get it to fit.

So no Altitude. Took off fast and the '6' second delay was more like '8' :y: but it all hung together...

9753543182_b751a171cf_b.jpg

img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/9753822803_b97f2fe41c_b.jpg[/img]

9753546782_6fa469903d_b.jpg

Still this rocket looks better with effect motors. More flame or smoke or both. I have several picture in my flicr albums or right here on TRF in my launch reports showing better mojo for the 3FNC. Cool rocket aye? Highly recommended. Llamas make interesting rockets.

This one is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser. The Llamas love to fly. So I packed them in and add an old old (1990's) 70-F25W-6 (or so it said!).

10503921833_349ca6ba68_b.jpg

LLamas Away! Wheeee!

10503725895_7927fccaf6_b.jpg

The delay was more like a 10!! But IIRC that is not unusual for old SU motors. But it was harrowing. Lucky all the LLamas were in high G slings and simply bounced around a bit. Touchdown was nominal. No altitude because I can barely cram in a chute and protector much less an Estes altimeter.

Back