Anybody tried these?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The center line in the springless mesh pilot chutes was there A LONG TIME before the kill line pilot chute was introduced. I have been in the rigging buisness a long time and have been working rigs of all kinds. Even the original Wonder Hog's hand deploy pilot chute had the centeline nad it was not colapseable.

Interesting. I'd never looked at my pilot very closely until now, but you're right. It pulls the center down a lot farther than it would otherwise be, even with the kill line completely slack.

I don't think they specified, but if it's ripstop nylon it's golden. For the CanSat competition my group used our own homemade ripstop nylon parachutes, and, well, we kicked the other teams butts two years in a row :p

It's great material, very light and very fluid, so it doesn't clump or anything.

I don't think they specified, but if it's ripstop nylon it's golden.

Just got mine in the mail today. Yes, it is ripstop nylon. Nice and unique streamer design with integrated "deployment bag." The chutes come with deployment bags also. Only concern is the center connection to the nylon mesh--seems a bit "light" for my tastes, I'll just have to see how it holds up. Overall both the chutes and steamers seem like a great value and a good match for lightweight rockets.

I've been using a Nylamesh chute now for a couple of high power events, on perhaps a dozen H and I flights up to about 2,600 ft. I like them. The float nicely, and of course there are no tangled cords anymore. That's the main reason I got them--tangled cords.
I also started using the streamers as well. I attach a long shock cord, then the streamer, then the chute.
I don't use the chute bag (don't trust that I can get the chute out of it), or use the bag built into the streamer. Instead, I've learned to lay out the chute with the mesh stretched out away from the peak of the chute. Then I dump the cord onto the mesh, then I roll the mesh up taking streamer into it as it rolls. Once it's rolled up, I continue to wrap the streamer around the bundle to make a smooth package of the right length and width to slide easily but fill my tube. This arrangement pops out unfurls in a straight line every time, without drama.
The streamer makes it easier to track in the sky, though it also makes it sail further in the wind, so keep that in mind.
Improvements I'd like to see?
1. I do wish there was a wider selection of sizes. I use a 36" on the StrongARM + payload bay I've been using for flight testing the AltimeterTwo. A 30" or 32" would be a better fit to reduce the amount of walking required. But 36" gives a soft landing--the AltimeterTwo reports a fairly consistent descent rate of 11MPH, which is just on the gentle side of perfect.
2. I'd *really* like a version that was all Coast Guard Orange, even the mesh. That seems to be the color that stands out in the sky to me the most. I am going to take all of my chutes soon and soak them in dye as soon as I can get some from Michael's. I hope they have a color like that.
Overall, I like the Nylamesh!
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

I have had one of these types of chutes sitting around for a fer years, and finally got around to trying it this past weekend. It's called "Aeromax 2000 Glow" and came attached to a paratrooper. It's about 18" and is a thin rip stop material. It filled the BT-60 pretty full, but deployed smoothly and made for a really nice descent.

Aeromax chute.jpg

These have a bit more weight and considerably more bulk than a standarg nylon chute. I got one in 36" and was surprised to see that it was a very tight fit in my 2.6" airframe especially since a standard 42" nylon chute fits in there quite easily.

Talked to the guy yesterday and the next batch he is getting will be a little lighter material. Same quality same price.

Andrew

I mean, how heavy a rocket could you do with a 36" or 48" for about 13-14 fps decent rate?

I have met these folks as they live just down the road from my younger sister. Very nice, and yes the parachutes come from china. I have seen some of the chutes and how they work. Quality is pretty good for the price. I have never used any though.

Andrew

Thank you Andrew. It is nice to know someone still loves me. Given my days in the political arena trying to lower taxes, one wonders.

Hello everyone...
I'm the guy building a company called Model Rocket Parachutes. I was unaware of this thread, otherwise I would have jumped in sooner. My parachutes, both the Nylamesh and the standard chutes, are not toys, by any means. They are not ripstop nylon, but rather 190t nylon (70g/m wt.). They are intended for low and mid power flights. They have not been tested on anything high power. I know there are a few people trying them with high power applications, but we have to wait and see what the results are. We do have some high power designs that we are working on, but, that will have to wait. We did have some of our chutes sent to 83,000 feet. (No kidding.) A gentleman with whom we are working sent them to that altitude on a balloon in Ireland, and actually recovered his craft and the associated video. It is on YouTube if you want to see it. (His name is Tony Scott.) He's done two flights and the first, lower flight, shows the parachute as it touches down. The second flight does not show the chute.
My best recommendation is that you try our products for yourselves. I started flying in 1967 (NAR 11968), so I can assure you that my interest is a good recovery system. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail at [email protected]. Enjoy and keep rocketry fun. Doug

Back