Anybody tried these?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not even sure where they're out of, might be china for all we know. :tongue:

The concept sounds interesting but I'm a purist when it comes to parachutes and streamer recovery.

They are the same chutes that I've found at Michael's attached to a toy to be thrown into the air. Ive used them as-is for payload(with toy attached), but never for rocket recovery. I'm sure it would work, and the price seems right.

chute.jpg

Be sure to read the details:

This parachute is perfect for TARC teams interested in a reliable and consistent parachute for the 2011 Team America Rocketry Challenge. When you are trying to reach a goal of a predetermined altitude and total flight time, it is nice to have a parachute that opens uniformly, inflates the same amount, and hangs in the air the same way again and again. By using the Douglas Rocket Nylamesh Parachute, a team can reduce or eliminate one of the variables in the challenge so that time can be better spent on engine selection and rocket design. The parachute behaves the same consistently--no air-slip, no under-inflation, no over-inflation. Nylamesh is the way to go. Our unique Nylamesh design features a two-color canopy with a white mesh base that replaces the need for shroud lines. The mesh allows air to flow into and inflate the canopy with no possibility of tangled shroud lines--because there are no shroud lines. The tangle-free design that Model Rocket Parachutes has for sale insures great recovery every time. The 15 inch diameter nylon parachute is perfect as a small drogue parachute or as a main chute on a small model where weight is not an issue. This parachute is very durable, and can handle the stresses of an egg loft. Fits easily into airframes BT-50 (24mm) and larger. This recovery kit comes with two parachutes, one of each of our standard colors, red & white, and orange & white. Includes connecting snap swivels. Parachute weight is approx. 12 grams. $15 per set.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Not terribly expensive compared to what Estes charges for a flat plastic 'chute, either.

I'm not even sure where they're out of, might be china for all we know. :tongue:

It says Canyon Lake, TX right there on the front page. :p

I've seen the toys with chutes like these too, but the 'deployment system' they talk about on some of the products (here) sounds pretty interesting. I can't remember seeing anyone using anything like that with chutes this small...

Phil

It says Canyon Lake, TX right there on the front page. :p

I've seen the toys with chutes like these too, but the 'deployment system' they talk about on some of the products (here) sounds pretty interesting. I can't remember seeing anyone using anything like that with chutes this small...

Phil

Oooops... :eek:

I borrowed something very similar from a friend. It was marketed as a chute for a toy. It opened dependably without tangling. It was returned and I thought I might pick up something like it if the opportunity presented itself.

I did worry a little bit about the seam between the gauze and the chute proper. It seemed that a violent deployment might rip it but it showed no signs of wear after the 3 flights I made.

This fella may be in TX but these are made in china. Prices vary with the sizes but they start at about 30 cents ea US FOB with a 1000pc min order. Search Alibaba.com for toy parachute.

We did some experimenting with parachutes like those - not specifically the 'chutes from either vendor mentioned in this thread, but ones we were considering reselling.

Unfortunately, the material they are made of allows air to flow through - unlike the plastic or rip-stop nylon we normally use. That's fine for a toy, but it doesn't work well for rockets. It means that the 'chute has to be larger than normal. In drop tests, the mesh 'chutes fell about twice as fast as the same size ripstop-nylon parachutes carrying the same weight.

The mesh 'chutes, however, are useful for special purposes. For example, I designed and flew a rocket I called "Trilogy" that used three parachutes. The parachutes got tangled with each other. The mesh design would have made the 'chutes less likely to tangle. When I fly the Trilogy again, I'll certainly use the mesh 'chutes.

-- Roger

I have a couple of them. They work well on LPR stuff.
Pretty cheap too_Only thing I've noticed is the attach point gets a little frayed after awhile
My 2 cents
Mark T

Base jumpers use these types of 'chutes because it is highly unlikely that they tangle. They hold it folded in their hand and use it as a pilot for the main. releasing it at the right(they hope)time;)

Base jumpers use these types of 'chutes because it is highly unlikely that they tangle. They hold it folded in their hand and use it as a pilot for the main. releasing it at the right(they hope)time;)

you got it! Man I'd love to take a jump off the Perrine. :wink:

Braden

I ordered a set of three 36" nylamesh chutes for a AltimeterTwo/Three set of test rockets I'm building. I'll letcha know how they fly...
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

Not just base jumpers. As far as I know, all skydiving drogue and pilot chutes use a mesh rather than individual lines (I know my pilot chutes do, both for the main and the reserve parachute). It's bulky for the chute size, but basically impossible to tangle.

Last edited:
I ordered a couple of the 15", I'll post how they work for me as well.

We did some experimenting with parachutes like those - not specifically the 'chutes from either vendor mentioned in this thread, but ones we were considering reselling.

Unfortunately, the material they are made of allows air to flow through - unlike the plastic or rip-stop nylon we normally use. That's fine for a toy, but it doesn't work well for rockets. It means that the 'chute has to be larger than normal. In drop tests, the mesh 'chutes fell about twice as fast as the same size ripstop-nylon parachutes carrying the same weight.

-- Roger

I was thinkin' that if the chute proper allowed air to flow through like your experiment, that I could just spray some tent sealer on it to cut the air flow.

I was thinkin' that if the chute proper allowed air to flow through like your experiment, that I could just spray some tent sealer on it to cut the air flow.

I tried using silicone tent sealer and it didn't seem to make any difference.

-- Roger

I think that's because the problem isn't the permeability of the chute fabric. Depending on the mesh density, the mesh could be acting as a semipermeable fairing, effectively making more air go around the chute, rather than into it.

While the mesh is a great idea, I never understood why they didn't make it with slightly less dense mesh. Like cjl said, the mesh is shedding a significant portion of the air.
Still, they make for a fantastic pilot chute for sure.

you got it! Man I'd love to take a jump off the Perrine. :wink:

Braden
Contact the Twin Falls Chamber of Commerce. I seem to remember they have a few days a year that you can do this.

For those that don't know the Perrine Bridge at one time was the highest bridge over what it was spanning in the world at, I think, 512 feet over the Snake River. There's a golf course at the bottom so you don't have to land in the river nor have to walk back up to the top :)

Contact the Twin Falls Chamber of Commerce. I seem to remember they have a few days a year that you can do this.

For those that don't know the Perrine Bridge at one time was the highest bridge over what it was spanning in the world at, I think, 512 feet over the Snake River. There's a golf course at the bottom so you don't have to land in the river nor have to walk back up to the top :)

Actually, it's now the only spot in the world where B.A.S.E is legal 24/7/365.25

You can jump at any age i'd assume, however, you must be 18 to take skydiving classes, and most BASE classes require a minimum amount of skydives before they'll teach you the art of BASE. I wouldn't dare try anything like that without basic instruction. I think the one I was looking at was a minimum of 300 jumps skydiving. We go out every memorial day weekend to watch the jumpers, it's a great show! It's been a dream of mine since I was about six!

BaseJumping1.jpg

https://www.erikroner.com/videos.htm

Braden

I got my chutes yesterday. I havn't used them yet but I was surprised to see that each came came with a deployment bag. They look well made but I did have to stretch the mesh a little to get the chute to open evenly, but all in all I'm stoked about trying them out.

well I finally got to launch a rocket with one of these chutes. I had it on a Quest big betty, it worked great! It fell a little faster than a traditional chute but no damage to the rocket.

Not just base jumpers. As far as I know, all skydiving drogue and pilot chutes use a mesh rather than individual lines (I know my pilot chutes do, both for the main and the reserve parachute). It's bulky for the chute size, but basically impossible to tangle.

The ones used as pilot chutes have nylon webbing sewn up and arround the mesh and canopy to take the load.
They also have a cener line to the apex to increase the drag because these things suck so bad otherwise.

Last edited:
The ones used ad pilot chutes have nylon webbing sewn up and arround the mesh and canopy to take the load.
They also have a cener line to the apex to increase the drag because these things suck so bad otherwise.

The center line isn't to increase drag. The center line is to collapse the chute after the main canopy opens. When the deployment bag is pulled off of the main canopy, the center line is pulled down, pulling the center of the pilot down below the level of the edge, which pretty much completely deflates it. This is so the pilot doesn't cause any unnecessary drag when the main parafoil is flying.

Just ordered a set of 12" chutes for my 29mm Aspire and my wifes Estes Eliminator. I'm also going to try the long streamers on the Aspire, it's hard to track when I use the F-10 engine.

The center line isn't to increase drag. The center line is to collapse the chute after the main canopy opens. When the deployment bag is pulled off of the main canopy, the center line is pulled down, pulling the center of the pilot down below the level of the edge, which pretty much completely deflates it. This is so the pilot doesn't cause any unnecessary drag when the main parafoil is flying.

The center line in the springless mesh pilot chutes was there A LONG TIME before the kill line pilot chute was introduced. I have been in the rigging buisness a long time and have been working rigs of all kinds. Even the original Wonder Hog's hand deploy pilot chute had the centeline nad it was not colapseable.

I have met these folks as they live just down the road from my younger sister. Very nice, and yes the parachutes come from china. I have seen some of the chutes and how they work. Quality is pretty good for the price. I have never used any though.

Andrew

Back