Quest - Minotaur (#5015) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Let's see some completed Minotaur's!

Here's two pictures of mine, I'll try to take some more tomorrow.

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, I am thinking about buying one of these. Does it fly well?

I flew it last week for the first time on a E28-4. Flight was very stable, arrow straight. Ejected about perfectly, nose up.

Great flyer, looks excellent going up. The Minotaur is great project, enjoyed the build.

Here`s mine.I`m kind of surprised there aren`t more of these great kits here !

Paul T

Attachments

• phpBQyMn3PM.jpg
    phpBQyMn3PM.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 164
  • phpEzWyUHPM.jpg
    phpEzWyUHPM.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 168
  • phpfPQskVPM.jpg
    phpfPQskVPM.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 219
  • phpjSbYN6PM.jpg
    phpjSbYN6PM.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 221
  • phpy9w4MJPM.jpg
    phpy9w4MJPM.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 148
Hi all,

I've just completed a Quest Minotaur and was prepping it for first flight when I found that the launch lugs have gotten really tight on my 3/16" launch rod. I recall that it was a "close fit" when initially glueing the launch lugs to the body tube, I guess just enough paint has gotten in there to make it hang-up sometimes when I try to slide the rocket from the rod. I'm afraid for what might happen if I try to launch it like this. Does anyone have any suggestions how to correct this, other than the obvious "sand the inside of the launch lugs"?

What about using a 5/52" launch rod? Or a cabon fiber rod, perhaps 4.5mm?

I know this model would typically be better placed in the mid-power forum, but I figure that there's probably more folks here who deal with 3/16" launch rod issues than there and I'll be doing my first few flights on a D12-3 anyways.

View attachment 130129

Attachments

• Minotaur_finished.jpg
    Minotaur_finished.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Quest Minotaur (#5015) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Quest Minotaur (#5015) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Quest: Minotaur: #5015

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Quest Minotaur (#5015) Basic Information.

quest.gif
Quest Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Minotaur Also known as:

NUMBER: #5015

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Scott Branche

Type: Pseudo-Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 28.75"
Diameter: 1.92"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: No significant text in 2010 Catalog.

=====

Cool NASA styling with SIX Strap-Ons!

Flies on "D", "E", and "F" motors.

Minotaur is a great looking and performing mid-size rocket. Over 28 inches tall, the kit features blow molded plastic nose cone, laser-cut balsa fins, six boosters (for show only) and a rugged 29mm diameter motor mount. Flights with an Aerotech F32-6W will go to almost 2,000 feet. Then your Minotaur will recover gently on the big 18" fabric parachute. Includes big, easy-to-apply self adhesive decals. Also includes 24mm engine mount adapter that allows you to use 24mm diameter engines. (Quest 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

quest-minotaur%205015-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog

quest-minotaur%205015-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

quest-minotaur%205015-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
This is one of those where you can make it much easier on yourself by pre-painting the sub assemblies before gluing.
(i.e. the boosters and body tube).
I used pin stripe tape to mask the glue lines.
0208200634.jpg

I finally caved and picked up a Quest Minotaur about six weeks ago. I figured I’d get to building it “eventually”, but it charmed me with its shapely, aerodynamic wiles. Just finished it up yesterday and hope to fly it this weekend. Overall I’m really happy with my build…. I only hope that things hold up on the flying end. I’ll probably christen it with a D12, then move up to an E26.

It was a pretty stock build, only I scrapped the thin cardstock “washers” that connect the nozzles to the boosters in favor of thrust rings that provide superior contact surfaces. The extra weight should be negligible and I like the way it lets the nozzles be more recessed. I also trimmed a sliver off the fins’ lower edge, just to help the shape seem a bit less “clunky”. Again, I don’t think it should change the aerodynamics in any significant way. I popped a bit of nose weight in just to be safe.

On the finishing side, I wanted to stick with the Delta blue scheme, but I changed up markings a bit with more inspiration from the Delta IIs. Of course it’s all just an excuse to throw a shark’s mouth on the rocket ‘cause EVERY bird is cooler with a shark’s mouth! I kept about 60% of the kit graphics and filled in with my own. I scanned the original “stickers” and converted everything to waterslide. I used Monokote for some finishing touches.

Attachments

• QM6.jpg
    QM6.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 12
  • QM5.jpg
    QM5.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 12
  • QM4.jpg
    QM4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 14
  • QM3.jpg
    QM3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 14
  • QM2.jpg
    QM2.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 16
  • QM1.jpg
    QM1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 14
Can this rocket be flower with the side booster tubes, I know it can’t be flower with the simulated engines but I’m reading in the kit details the boosters are used for show only. I’m a little confused about this. Can somebody shed some light on this?

Can this rocket be flower with the side booster tubes, I know it can’t be flower with the simulated engines but I’m reading in the kit details the boosters are used for show only. I’m a little confused about this. Can somebody shed some light on this?
yeah, you glue 'em on like any kit. i think they mean that the side tubes aren't engine mounts. this is a really cool builder kit if you like to sweat the details. comes with an adapter which you do NOT glue in ( i DID glue it in, 'cause i'm kinda stupid sometimes...). hobbylinc discounts this badboy

Ouch! Once it’s glued in to late. Did you fly yours yet? I’m seeing an F44-4W that is showing 24mm or an 29 mm F32-6W. I have even seen on the serious rocketry they are showing an F52-5C. Not sure what would be a good motor to fly it with. I don’t mind a high altitude but don’t want to send it into an orbit.

This looks like a cool rocket but can’t find any video’s on a maiden flight. I have a chance to purchase it but like to know someone in here that has flower the Minotaur peyote I spend money on it.

Ouch! Once it’s glued in to late. Did you fly yours yet? I’m seeing an F44-4W that is showing 24mm or an 29 mm F32-6W. I have even seen on the serious rocketry they are showing an F52-5C. Not sure what would be a good motor to fly it with. I don’t mind a high altitude but don’t want to send it into an orbit.
i have not flown it. hard to find time and space to launch without risk of loss. when i do light it up, i'll have to go 24mm as that's my only option at this point, but also i can't really afford the muscle engines so 24mm is fine for me. this is kind of a unique kit, so why hesitate? worth the coinage. my only concern with launching this bird would be the external boosters detaching, and i take great care with my glue'n mojo. instructions are very good as well. they have you masking thin strips on the main tube and boosters, where the boosters connect, for painting, so you glue bare paper to bare paper rather than the paint. i poked little pin holes along areas of both the external boosters and the main tube that will connect/glue to give some footing to the glue.

I see the Little Joe l and I was thinking of getting that one but it looks fragile to fly. I started back into the hobby in 2015 and bought maybe a dozen rockets. Now over 250 kits and I sit back thinking WOW what did I do? To be honest I haven’t hit the launch button since I was a kid in 1975. My wife looks at me and said, you will never build all these in this life time. I tell her I’m loading up for the next life just in case shipping charges sky rocket. I like the looks at the Minotaur and might get one for my build pile. I just wish they made it with plywood fins and TTW body tube.

One question to anyone that has built the Quest Minotaur rocket? I haven’t seen anyone saying what is used for a motor retention. I never tried friction fit and not comfortable with it because it might kick out the motor upon ejection. Plus wearing out the motor tube trying to force a motor in with tape all the time. Dose anyone have any ideas on a motor retention while building this rocket before I purchase it. I am also looking at the Quest Big Dog but same thing there’s no motor retention. I wish being both of these rockets rated as being an advanced rocket kit that Quest made the fins birch plywood with through the wall fins mounts and a motor retention of some kind.

One question to anyone that has built the Quest Minotaur rocket? I haven’t seen anyone saying what is used for a motor retention. I never tried friction fit and not comfortable with it because it might kick out the motor upon ejection. Plus wearing out the motor tube trying to force a motor in with tape all the time. Dose anyone have any ideas on a motor retention while building this rocket before I purchase it. I am also looking at the Quest Big Dog but same thing there’s no motor retention. I wish being both of these rockets rated as being an advanced rocket kit that Quest made the fins birch plywood with through the wall fins mounts and a motor retention of some kind.
Rear end tape wrap instead of friction fit works just fine.
The 24mm adapter has an engine hook.
Only thing I would change is to use a beefier elastic shock cord.
Launch video at the 4:24 mark:

Back