Plastic Model Conversion (PMC) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't offer any advice but did want to say thanks for bringing this thread back up. I saw it just before going out to the hobby shop this evening and sitting there in front of me was a Revell 1:40 Corporal Missile with Transporter kit. Obviously I couldn't resist.

Revell%2085-7852%20Corporal.JPG

After opening the box and taking a look at the instructions the actual missile construction is very simple but the rest not so much. It looks like it should take a 13mm motor nicely and separate at the center for ejection of a 6 or 8" chute. Ultimately I plan to try to get this thing to launch from the model mobile launcher. I haven't built a plastic model in about 20 years (and I was about 11 or 12 then) so this could get interesting.

Yeap!
I have one setting in the basement waiting for the que! it'll likely be a 13mm conversion thou I may do some aft end rasp work to open it up for 18mm motors.
I'm also looking hard at the erector launcher vehicle and base to see what it's going to take to convert them to launch useable pieces, adding a launch rod of coarse.

Yeap!
I have one setting in the basement waiting for the que! it'll likely be a 13mm conversion thou I may do some aft end rasp work to open it up for 18mm motors.

Indeed, the aft opening, as it, is perfect for a 13mm motor mount. In fact the stock nozzle looks prime to attach to a spent 13mm casing so that it can be "inserted" for display.

I've been wanting to do a Vostok, but I've been put off by the thoughts of rolling all the paper shrouds necessary for a decent model. The it hit me. I have a 1/72 Mach 2 R-7 in the stash (Mach 2 kits are molded badly at twice the speed of sound), so I pulled it out, and found out that a BT-50 fits inside the main core tube perfectly. I weighed all the plastic, it came out to 5.8 oz. I figure I can grind an ounce or so off the interior walls - they're built like bank vaults. I can cobble together the upper stage easy enough, replace the booster bases with foam core, and I figure I will use D engines in it because of the weight. I imagine I'm going to have to stuff a lot of nose weight in it to get it to balance properly. I know MPC had a Vostok model you could fly, but it was considerably lighter and smaller.

Does this sound feasible? Has anyone else pulled this off before?

Do you mean something Like This?

For the life of me I can't recall what the scale of this model was...possibly 144th?, More then likely about the same as many of the Currently available Vostok and R-7 models out there. To be honest it didn't take much extra nose weight beyond the mass of the 18mm C6-3 and C6-5 I flew it on a number of times back in the stone age.
It's Got to be about the same size as my models Finished empty mass was 5.07oz.
If you do a cardboard cutout or run the calculations through Open Rocket or Rocksim I'm sure you'll be pleased to see it's Not going to need much in the way of extra nose weight.

Vostok-a-sm_USSR PMC complete 04-03-71.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed, the aft opening, as it, is perfect for a 13mm motor mount. In fact the stock nozzle looks prime to attach to a spent 13mm casing so that it can be "inserted" for display.

have to agree disaster guy!
After a little closer look I'd have to almost grinding all the plastic out to get a BT-20 in the lower section. I've decided to go with 13mm interial tubing.
This one is such an easy conversion, I'm spending most of my building time working out how to use the Transporter & launcher in a base board mounted diorama to fly it from. Should be fun. Just started on this thing a couple days ago. More pics as I progress with both missile and launcher.

Edit: couple new pics as this project proceeds.
2nd Edit: Missile ready for primer, Mobile Launcher trailer build..on toTransport/erector:)

484uc01a_Corporal Missile-484a_40th Revell #7852 Box Art_12-16-11.jpg

484uc01b_Corporal Missle & Transporter_40th Taped Dryfit (13mm) PMC_02-02-12.jpg

484uc03_BT-5 Motor and Nose tubes_02-06-12.jpg

484uc04_Tons of Transport-Launcher parts basepaint_02-07-12.JPG

484uc08_Missile fab done, Mobile Launcher & Radar_02-20-12.jpg

Last edited:
Do you mean something Like This?

For the life of me I can't recall what the scale of this model was...possibly 144th?, More then likely about the same as many of the Currently available Vostok and R-7 models out there. To be honest it didn't take much extra nose weight beyond the mass of the 18mm C6-3 and C6-5 I flew it on a number of times back in the stone age.
It's Got to be about the same size as my models Finished empty mass was 5.07oz.
If you do a cardboard cutout or run the calculations through Open Rocket or Rocksim I'm sure you'll be pleased to see it's Not going to need much in the way of extra nose weight.

John,

Thanks for the input. Your picture looks suspiciously like the 1/100 MPC kit. I will be using the Mach 2 kit from France in 1/72 scale. It is actually an R7 prototype rocket, so to get a Vostok, I will be scratchbuilding everything from the taper above the boosters upwards from conventional tube and balsa. Fortunately, the center core just so happens to take a BT-50 perfectly, so that makes it a little easier. Since this kit is rather a pig as far as weight goes, I will be thinning down the plastic walls on the boosters considerably to reduce overall weight and shift the CG forward on the model. Here goes nothing..........

JR

Have another 13mm motor mount PMC started that I think is going to be fun.
Revells re-released SM-62 Snark (#7810).

Hope I can get the balance worked out without having to add clear fins. We'll see as the build progresses.
Cardboard cutouts seem to indicate it should work as is, I may add a very thin dorsal to work with the tail....perhaps with Wing tanks well do instead.

Edit: Now a good bit further into Converting by george I think this thing is going to fly!

483uc01a_Snark SM-62_96th Revell-Mon #7810 Box Art_02-02-12.JPG

483uc02a_Snark SM-62_96th Zero Length Launcher_02-02-12.JPG

483uc02b1_Snark SM-62_96th dryfit 33.1g (13mm) PMC_02-02-12.jpg

Attachments

• 483uc07_Snark SM-62 2nd Dry fit on launcher_02-04-12.jpg
    483uc07_Snark SM-62 2nd Dry fit on launcher_02-04-12.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 483uc08_Snark SM-62 BT-5 fit testing_02-04-12.jpg
    483uc08_Snark SM-62 BT-5 fit testing_02-04-12.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Another candidate for a PMC is this reissue from Airfix:

I'm not so sure about that one Chrism!
Doesn't look like there is much room to correct the CP/CG with that skinny nose and huge forward wing surface. Getting the balance right on that one and still having room for some kind of recovery system just doesn't look very promissing even at 13mm.
I think that's going to be one of those Darn "it's just gonna be a static models". I have a closet full of such "promising" kits...looked great till ya open the box. 1/144th F86 saber was one. 1/40th Honest John was another. Not all PMC's are worthy grasshopper....Choose wisely as RE-Kitting flying plastic can be hazardous to your health, Which is why PMC flyers, do it in a Hardhat:)

There are currently a BUNCH of Great candidates for PMC conversion. if your looking for same NEAT looking models...a bit on the heavy side til you thin the walls. ya might want to look at Pegasus Hobbies Space Ark #9022 1/350th scale from the movie "When Worlds Collide". Apollo 27 Rocket #9101, and the 1/350th Mercury 9 rocket. I'm also considering what to do with a 1/24th "Robby the Robot" from Forbidden Planet. and re-Working my existing 1/32nd scale F-15D/E with a new Nosecone from the recently re-released and VERY Affordable Revell-Germany F-15D/F Eagle kit #5715 running $27.94 each from https://megahobby.com which has a huge selection of sci-fi and Space related models currently.
Airfix 1/144th #air5172 Vostok is a fairly reasonable $21.89, or Revell-Germany 1/24th Vostok Spacecraft #RVG24 @$23.70 to name just two.

Space Ark_350th Pegasus #9011 (WhenWorldsCollide)_12-26-11.jpg

Apollo 27 Rocket 72nd (Pegasus Hobbies) #9101_05-05-11.JPG

Mercury-9 Rocket 350th (Pegasus Hobbies #9103)_05-05-11.JPG

Robby the Robot_24th Polar Lights(Forbidden Planet)_10-11.JPG

F15D-E Eagle_32nd Revell-Germany #5715_12-16-11.JPG

Last edited:
have to agree disaster guy!
After a little closer look I'd have to almost gring all the plastic out to get a BT-20 in the lower section. I've decided to go with 13mm interial tubing.
This one is such an easy conversion, I'm spending most of my building time working out how to use the Transporter & launcher in a base board mounted diorama to fly it from. Should be fun. Just started on this thing a couple days ago. More pics as I progress with both missile and launcher.

Looking forward to see it progress. The build of mine has been somewhat stalled. I need to grab a piece of 13mm tube and cut out some centering rings. I have two issues currently with the build of mine:
-Apparently I suck much more at painting plastic models than other rockets (not saying much). Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I am using Testors flat white enamel on the rocket and the base plastic is showing through and you can see where some is heavier than others. Perhaps it just needs a second coat?

-Need to figure out motor retention... My initial thought was to leave some of the motor tube hanging out the back some so I could use tape to secure the motor and provide at least some shielding to to plastic fins. The problem with this is that it totally kills the scale aspect of the build.

Looking forward to see it progress. The build of mine has been somewhat stalled. I need to grab a piece of 13mm tube and cut out some centering rings. I have two issues currently with the build of mine:
-Apparently I suck much more at painting plastic models than other rockets (not saying much). Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I am using Testors flat white enamel on the rocket and the base plastic is showing through and you can see where some is heavier than others. Perhaps it just needs a second coat?

-Need to figure out motor retention... My initial thought was to leave some of the motor tube hanging out the back some so I could use tape to secure the motor and provide at least some shielding to to plastic fins. The problem with this is that it totally kills the scale aspect of the build.

I Know what you mean about killing the scale aspect. I'm looking at using a Motor retainer hook without that stupid excess thumb loop. the Old school retainer type.
I'll be using fine Wire "antenna loop" launch lugs just have to determine where they will be placed. Which will depend on weather the model ends up flying from the Transporter or launch platform? Adding a launch rod and protective jet deflector are the other small concerns, I may just use a Nomex blanket for the latter.

I'd go with Gloss paints first, apply the decals and other details than hit it with a coat or two of UV matte clear. Decals do not like flat Paints.

Just finished this conversion. Haven't flown it yet, Sure was a very interesting & Fun 2 motor cluster micro conversion. The complete Build thread is in the Micro Maxx section forum.
Hope to do an F14 Tomcat in the same scale soon.

MM 384uc01a1_F15A Eagle 144th PMC Kit_01-05-12.jpg

MM 384uc03a_2 view Cardboard cutouts_01-08-12.JPG

MM 384uc09b_Tube Sealing Tissue Putty in place_01-16-12.JPG

Attachments

• MM 384uc18c_F-15A Eagle Topleft Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    MM 384uc18c_F-15A Eagle Topleft Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 59
  • MM 384uc18d_F-15A Eagle Right Side Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    MM 384uc18d_F-15A Eagle Right Side Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 67
John,

Thanks for the input. Your picture looks suspiciously like the 1/100 MPC kit. I will be using the Mach 2 kit from France in 1/72 scale. It is actually an R7 prototype rocket, so to get a Vostok, I will be scratchbuilding everything from the taper above the boosters upwards from conventional tube and balsa. Fortunately, the center core just so happens to take a BT-50 perfectly, so that makes it a little easier. Since this kit is rather a pig as far as weight goes, I will be thinning down the plastic walls on the boosters considerably to reduce overall weight and shift the CG forward on the model. Here goes nothing..........

JR

There are a bunch of 1/144th scale Sapwood, R7 & Vostok-1 models currently floating around. I just picked up a 50th anniversary Vostok-1 1/144th AirFix Kit #A05172 and a Limited Edition 1/24th scale Revell #00024 Vostok-1 Spacecraft model both look like they will be very nice 18 & 24mm powered PMC's. the Airfix A06172 Saturn-1B (Apollo-7) should round out my 144th Manned Space flight display sometime this year.
Working currently on 2 other PMC's so start time on the Vostok & Saturn-1b models well be down the road just a bit.

Russian SL-1_R7 Sputnik carrier Apex ML1002 144th(128dpi)_97.jpg

Russian SS-6_Sapwood Maquette MQ-44001 144th (128dpi)_05.jpg

Russian Vostok-1_144th Airfix #A05172 (50th anniv- 21.89)_02-12.JPG

Russian Vostok-1 Spacecraft_24th Revell #00024 (Limited Ed-23.70)_02-12.JPG

Saturn-1B (Apollo-7)_144th Airfix #A06172 (26.34)_02-12.JPG

Three Stage ferry Rocket 1/288th Glenco
Glenco's VonBraun 3-Stage Ferry Rocket looked like a natural for PMC conversion.
Well it does have a few issues to be worked out but can make for a very nice 13mm motor flying model.
The model is tail heavy as all gee-wiz. This means scrapping alot of unnecessary wall material from the molded parts AND a good bit of nose weight. I seem to recall someone submitted an article to the old Model Rocketeer covering converting this model but alas I didn't have that issue. Glenco used an older version of the Ferry rocket then I remembered with the Crew Plane having full Delta wings. I chose to alter this to the more normal wing look.

Years ago, I bought a NARTS Collected Plans 1989-1994 from "The Sentinel" the newsletter of the Central Massachusetts Spacemodeling Society (CMASS). In that publication Bill Spadafora has a conversion of the Glencoe 3-stage Ferry Rocket dated Winter 1994.

Years ago, I bought a NARTS Collected Plans 1989-1994 from "The Sentinel" the newsletter of the Central Massachusetts Spacemodeling Society (CMASS). In that publication Bill Spadafora has a conversion of the Glencoe 3-stage Ferry Rocket dated Winter 1994.

Oh KOOL!
I'm gonna have to look that up. I knew I'd seen a plan somewhere. NARTS Collection 1989-1994 CMASS "the Sentinel" Bill Spadafora winter 1994
Thanks!

Done!

After further consideration, decided to split the difference between 1 and 2 caliber stability. went about 1-1/2 adding 30.0grams of #9 lead shot & epoxy to the nose and shoulder of the Shank. Loaded CG is now just aft of the wing forward seam. I'll post the measurement when I get the permanent 12" chute and some wadding in it.
Hope to test fly her in the next couple weeks, wind and weather dependent:)

Attachments

• 483uc19a_Snark SM-62 Leftside Decaled_03-03-12.jpg
    483uc19a_Snark SM-62 Leftside Decaled_03-03-12.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 483uc19b_Snark SM-62 Rt front above Decaled_03-03-12.jpg
    483uc19b_Snark SM-62 Rt front above Decaled_03-03-12.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 62
  • 483uc19c_Snark SM-62 Right Above Decaled_03-03-12.jpg
    483uc19c_Snark SM-62 Right Above Decaled_03-03-12.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 60
Finished the building...still working on the diorama that will allow me to launch from the trailer launcher (with a little help from some nomex and a 1/8" stainless launch rod).

The finished model and support vehicles below. Was a fun build with the exception of having to create a missing missile retainer piece I believe didn't get molded on the sprue.

484uc12a_Missing part 136 recreated_02-24-12.JPG

484uc12b_Missing part 136 in place_02-24-12.JPG

484uc14a_3 color Missile,Trans & Launcher_02-27-12.JPG

484uc15b_Missile & support Decaled_03-01-12.jpg

484uc15c_Missile & Transport decal Close Up_03-01-12.JPG

Mr Cluster: Our club just had an open event w/"PMC" as one of the events. I'm very happy to have found this site as one of the jets that attempted to fly landed in my lap @ launch control table! fortunately my quick reflexes kicked in and I wasn't hurt. I'll try an enclose a photo of my Apollo 27. TTY Glennmidopen 009.jpg

So John, do you have any plans or (a build thread) for converting a 1/48 Starfighter? I've been going to try it since I read about one flying at a meet in an old "Model Rocketeer" 30 years ago (maybe that was yours!) Last count I have three kits. I also have a 1/32 F-14E kit and saw your conversion, I may try that too!

So John, do you have any plans or (a build thread) for converting a 1/48 Starfighter? I've been going to try it since I read about one flying at a meet in an old "Model Rocketeer" 30 years ago (maybe that was yours!) Last count I have three kits. I also have a 1/32 F-14E kit and saw your conversion, I may try that too!

Oh Man!
the F-104 Starfighter is a "Staple" for most PMC'ers. just pick a scale they all fly wonderfully in all kinds of conditions. IIRC a Wheels up 1/48th F-104 Starfighter was my first "Second Fleet" PMC. I litterally flew that model till the Body tube wore out. currently I have F-104's in 1/144th, 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 and 1/18th. Unfortunetly these builds with the exceptions of the 1/144th and 1/18th were long before I started doing build thread documents. I do have the Required contest data packet used with the models in PMC NAR competitions but they generally don't contain all the exact body tube lengths, Nose weight amounts and such. I'll have to dig out the Packet and see if I can find any of my notes on the F-104 Starfighter. It is by far the easiest jet aircraft to convert for Rocket powered flight.

OH! Dang it's been so long as I'm sitting here typing I just remembered the F-104 and F-100 are covered in one of the Tech-Tip articles #009 Plastic Model Conversion. The Article is 672k PDF format for easy download from the library section of www.narhams.org Page 7 give a generic assembly instructions for F-104s, F-100s and F-105's with nose weight needed and other general instructions. If memory serves our F-104 in 1/48th scale needs about 29-30 grams of nose weight. if you put a very slight twist in one elevator (less then a degree) the model will do have very slow and majestic barrel roll on the way up.
Hope this helps, sorry for being a bit wordy

Mr Cluster: Our club just had an open event w/"PMC" as one of the events. I'm very happy to have found this site as one of the jets that attempted to fly landed in my lap @ launch control table! fortunately my quick reflexes kicked in and I wasn't hurt. I'll try an enclose a photo of my Apollo 27. TTY GlennView attachment 86685

Wow Glenn:
Did the owner get extra credit for RFO Spot landing LOL!!! That's why we call it PMC.. Plastic Death and many of us wear hard hats at such contests. I do wish all PMC models would do the proper pre-flight CP/CG calculations and 1st flight their models AWAY for contests and ALL spectators. I try very hard to make all PMC 1st flights with a very barest of range crews or in total isolation if I have any doubt at all in the expected flight of one of my conversions. Swing tests help but really the only way to know exactly what a model is going to do in free flight is to fly it. To do these experimental flights safely they SHOULD be done in isolation.

I have an Apollo-27 5 motor cluster in the que. Should be a fun conversion when I get to it. What does your fly in?

Another Recently finished conversion has been the Currently available Airfix 1/144th Vostok-1. A very nice kit it is just a bit small for 13mm motors without same major surgery to the core but the fix seems to have blended in perfectly. I have build thread photos done and may have already started a thread in the LPR section will have to go back and look.
The kit comes with optional parts for the sputnik R-7 Luna, Vostok & Soyuz varients. I decided to make all the spacecraft varients as part of the static display with the Vostok and necessary nose weight within it. should be a very nice flying models. Swing testing was a little nervewracking but proved to be very easy and showed as very stable. Here are a couple of the photos.
One of the things I really like about the kit is it comes with a Scale Cosmonaut...He's standing at the left front of the display. Really gives a bit of Scale to the models.

485uc01a_Vostok-1 144th BoxArt _03-07-12.JPG

485uc02b_BT-5 Core & Chute space with T4 stuffer_03-08-12.jpg

485uc06a_Check Strap-on spacing & adjust_03-10-12.jpg

485uc17a_Vostok-1 Complete_04-28-12.jpg

485uc17b_Vostok-1 Spacecraft exposed_04-28-12.jpg

While working on the Vostok I was also building 5 Micro powered 1/144th Jets. 3 are complete ready to fly. Starting with the outstanding Dragon 1/144th X15 two model kit. only build one but MAN are these kits worth the extra dollars! Talk about Detail, accuracy and very nice engraved panel lines. A super kit very hightly recommmended. Next another special recovery ducting challange.... a LEE 1/144th F-14 Tomcat twin motor conversion. Because of the way this aircraft flys the variable postion wing is not fixed but will pivot from full delta back to Landing extended. This feature required ducting the twin streamer out the intake ports. and because of the mass this one may not go very far. but I intend to give it a try. Another Lee 1/144th kit of the F-20 TigerShark is a single motor Joy. but because of the stubby short length lead me to use a Rear Ejection Drag-out Teflon Streamer rather then trying to pop the nose. With so little room in there we'll have to see if the little micor has the beef to pull out the 1/2" x 12" streamer?
Two more in the Painting phase currently are an F1C Marage 1/144th and F35 Lighting JSF with also has a rear ejection pod that I'm hoping I can wrap a small streamer around similar to the chute on the Scissor wing transport. I have an F-22 Raptor in 144th that i'm trying to figure a way to install the motors without completely distroying the anti-radar V'ed engine openings. If the main Rocket bay remains this one will have to be Intake ejection as well. A super detailed kit I really don't want to distroy most of the inner weapons bays but something has to give;)

MM 387p01a_X-15d 144th PMC_04-24-12.jpg

MM 388p01d_F-14A Tomcat 144th PMC 2-Pic_04-24-12.jpg

MM 389a3_F-20 TigerShark 144th 2-Pic_05-05-12.JPG

MM 390uc04a_Marage F1C & weapons_06-09-12.JPG

390_MM F-1c Mirage 144th PMC - Complete 2-Pic_08-24-13.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the information! I found the NARHAMS article you recommended and it was just what the doctor ordered!

Hope this helps, sorry for being a bit wordy

No problem here, the more you are willing to share the better! Your enthusiasm for pmc is contagious, I'm excited to get building! - Paul

Recently I've been on a 144th scale PMC kick. 5 of the latest conversions are 144th X-35B Lighting, 1:40th Little John Missile w/ Launcher diorama, 144th SR-71A Blackbird 3motor MMX motor Cluster, 144th F-22a Raptor 2 MMX motor cluster & 144th TR-1a(U2).

All were very enjoyable and somewhat challanging conversions. All have built threads in the Micro Maxx forum.

393_MM X-35b Lighting 144th PMC - Complete-Topview_08-23-13.jpg

397b_MM Little John & Launcher Complete_01-13-14.jpg

408a_MM SR-71A BlackBird 144th Dragon PMC(30.12)_03-25-15.jpg

410a_MM F-22A Raptor 144th PMC(Trumpeter-01317)_03-29-15.jpg

411a_MM TR-1A (U2) 144th PMC(Dragon4640-19.99)_03-28-15.JPG

1/48th F-104C Starfighter PMC conversion Build thread:

In post 79 Maxmph ask if I had a build thread on the 1/48th Scale F-104. Since I need to replace my worn-out original 1/48th F-104 anyway Below is my Replacement model #075b. The really nifty thing about this build is I found an exact replacement for the original a Testors Kit #592 that was Only $7.50....These day's you can't beat that with a stick:) Anyway I decided since I also recently completed a 1/72nd Scale F-104G Starfighter with the wheels up due to extremely tight inside space I'd try building my replacement 1/48th Wheels down. Took only a small amount of internal surgery to get the Main body tube in and fitted around the Open Landing gear bay. I did do some custom strut reinforcements in the hopes of keeping the wheels one for more the one flight:) I'll try to include the entire build thread in this and the next post so you all can get the max of what was done to do this conversion. Hope though late it may be of help to others in building one of the best flying PMC's out there.

075b-uc01a_F-104C Starfighter 48th (Testors#592 BoxArt)_05-24-15.jpg

075b-uc01e1_F-104C_48th Scale Decals_05-24-15.jpg

075b-uc01e2b_F-104C 48th Anti-Glare Nose Decal_07-26-15.jpg

075b-uc02_F-104C_48th Scale FS Cardboard Cutout_05-24-15.JPG

075b-uc03_F-104C_48th Part Taped Up_05-24-15.jpg

075b-uc04_F-104C Starfighter 48th Custom Std. motor hook_05-24-15.JPG

075b-uc05b_F-104C 48th 18mm motor mount with StSt &100lb Kevlar_05-24-15.jpg

075b-uc06b_F-104C 48th MMT & Stuffer ready for installation_05-24-15.JPG

075b-uc07a_F-104C 48th BT-20&Coupling with balsa Shims_05-24-15.JPG

Attachments

• 075b-uc07b_F-104C 48th CA in Balsa shims_05-24-15.JPG
    075b-uc07b_F-104C 48th CA in Balsa shims_05-24-15.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 60
More of the 1/48th F-104C Starfighter build.

This series of Photos concentrates on the Landing gear assembly, reinforcement and Cockpit/nose weight (total 29.0g) placement & containment method.
One point: it is important to pre-paint the Inside cock-pit area and Pilot/ejection seat sub-assembly before closing up the nose section.

075b-uc08_F-104C 48th Nose Sep & wheel-Doors in_05-25-15.jpg

075b-uc09_F-104C 48th Main Gear Down installed_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc10a_F-104C 48th Cockpit,Pilot & eject Hatch_05-25-15.jpg

075b-uc10b_F-104C 48th_29.5g NWt (20.6g in nose)_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc10c_F-104C 48th Part of remaining NWt frt cockpit_05-25-15.jpg

075b-uc10d_F-104C 48th NWt in add-on box aft Cockpit_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc10e_F-104C 48th_3pc canopy installed_05-26-15.JPG

075b-uc13_F-104C 48th_Setting MainWing Droop_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc14a_F-104C 48th_Add MainGear Strut reinforcments_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc14b_F-104C 48th_Underside Gear & Antenna Lugs_05-25-15.JPG

Last edited:
It's possible to shorten the motor hook opening if you wish but I wanted to be sure I had plenty of spring movement on this model.

A few shots of the completed External part assembly, Pre-Painted cockpit I didn't have room for in the previous post. and some of the masking before painting. Base coat Rustoleum Orange and Color Works "Aluminum Plate".

075b-uc15_F-104C 48th_MotorHook cutout Close_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc16_F-104C 48th_Hor. Stab & dropTanks_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc17_F-104C 48th Added Nose kevlar Loop_05-25-15.JPG

075b-uc18a_F-104C 48th_Cockpit&Pilot Paint & installed_05-26-15.jpg

075b-uc19_F-104C 48th_Antenna Lugs,Styrene Racks&Sidewinders on_05-26-15.JPG

075b-uc20_F-104C 48th Ready for Masking_05-27-15.JPG

075b-uc21a_F-104C Mask Canopy_05-27-15.JPG

075b-uc21b_F-104C Mask UnderCarrage & Missiles_05-27-15.jpg

075b-uc21d_F-014C Base Coat Rustoleum Orange_05-27-15.JPG

075b-uc22a_F-104C 48th TopLeft after ChromePlate&Details_07-28-15.JPG

Last of the 1/48th F-104C Starfighter build pics.
A few Hand Painted details, Decals, Pledge with Future and she's ready for flight.

Hope this helps your conversion Maxmph. Love to see your model posted soon:)

075b-uc22c_F-104C 48th Bottom After ChromePlate&Details_07-28-15.JPG

075b-uc23a_F-104C 48th LeftTopRear Decals & Future_07-28-14.JPG

075b-uc23b_F-104C 48th LeftTopSide Decals & Future_07-28-15.JPG

075b-uc23c_F-104C 48th LeftSide Decals & Future_07-28-15.JPG

075b-uc23d_F-104C 48th Bottom & Future_07-28-15.JPG

075b_F-104C StarFighter 48th Scale PMC Replacement Complete_07-28-15.jpg

While we're talking F-104's Let me add a few photos of my recently finished Hasegawa #1002 1/72nd F-104G Starfighter. This kit was purchased several years ago for $11.99 but after opening it I realized this model fuselage came in 4 pieces rather then the normal two. Not wanting a huge visible seam line I put this model aside to figure out a method of converting while hiding the body seam. SOoooooo about 8 years later here's what I finally did.
Since I wanted to use the same 3705th Orange & Silver Drone Squadron Colors and Decals I had to downsize my old 1/48th Decal sheet and print them on both clear and White background inkjet water-slide decal paper. These new decals worked out well.

As mentioned before due to extremely tight interior space I had almost no choice but to build this model in the wheels up configuration. another slightly aggravating thing was after using a Stock Estes 13mm motor hook on this model I discovered After it was completely installed the Dang thing was almost 3/8" short. Because of this I cut off the errant hook leaving as much as possible of the straight metal to use for both internal and external Friction Fit tape motor installation for flight.

After construction and weighing a 12" chute is recommended but the biggest flat Nylon chute I could get in her is 10". This brings the model down faster then I like but ON GRASS so far no damage has been noticed. I just keep praying not to hit on a big rock or anything solid;)

693uc01a_F104G Starfighter 72nd PMC BoxArt_04-30-15.JPG

693uc02d1_F-104G Starfighter 72nd downscale Decals_05-30-15.jpg

693uc03a_F104G Starfighter 72nd PMC_Taped Parts_05-01-15.JPG

693uc03b_72nd F-104G Cardboard Cut-Out_05-01-15.JPG

693uc04_F-104_Fuselage Joined & Nose Sep_05-08-15.jpg

693uc05_F-104 BT-5 internal Parts Epoxy installed_05-11-15.JPG

693uc07a_F-104 Shoulder epoxy Seated_05-11-15.JPG

693uc09_F-104 Short Estes motor Hook altered_05-11-15.JPG

693uc11_F-104G 72nd canopy Mask_05-19-15.JPG

693uc12b_72nd F-104G Orange&Chrome Side_05-29-15.jpg

Back