Centuri - Micron (KA-5 or #5005) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrent

Reaction score
This was the first rocket kit I ever bought back in 1975, so it has a bit of sentimental value to me... I decided to do it in the kit panel scheme rather than the classic catalog scheme. The actual kit (left) I left unopenned. The rocket I built was a SEMROC clone kit. This way I can display them together.

Micron%2BKit.jpg
Micron%2BCompleted.jpg

post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Estes made a Micron, #0876. Was that a repro of the Centuri kit?

It looks similar but a bit more svelte.

Micron Header-CardT.jpg

Welcome to the Centuri - Micron (KA-5 or #5005) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Micron (KA-5 or #5005) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Micron: KA-5 or #5005
Semroc: Micron: KV-8

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Micron (KA-5 or #5005) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Micron

KA-5 or #5005

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 8.5"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight: 0.38 oz

Mfg. Description: The perfect for the beginner in model rocketry. Its basic stable design will aid your understanding of rocketry fundamentals. This models has been tracked to well over 2000 ft using a B8-0 engine. Streamer recovery system provides a soft landing so that the Micron can be flown again and again. Comes to you in easy to build kit form with easy-to-follow instructions. (Centuri 1964 Catalog)

=====

The single stage Micron kit is perfect for the beginner in model rocketry. Its basic stable design will aid your understanding of rocketry fundamentals. This models has been tracked to well over 2000 ft using a B8-0 engine. Streamer recovery system provides a soft landing so that the Micron can be flown many times. Comes to you in easy to build kit form. (Centuri 1967 Catalog)

=====

The perfect rocket for the beginner in model rocketry. Its basic stable design will aid your understanding of rocketry fundamentals. This models has been tracked to well over 2000 ft using a B8-6 engine. Streamer recovery system provides a soft landing so that the Micron can be flown many times. Comes to you in easy to build kit form. (Centuri 1968 Catalog)

=====

Perfect for the beginner in Model Rocketry. Its basic stable design will aid your understanding of rocketry fundamentals. The Micron can fly up to 2000 ft. and will return with a colorful streamer for a safe landing. Fly it again and again. Comes in easy to build kit form with decals. Great! (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

A popular beginner kit, this single-stage beauty streaks to as high as 2000 feet, returning on its bright streamer for a soft landing. A stable design helps you understand basic rocket design. Easy-to-build, complete with decals, Micron will be in your collection for a long time to come. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

Featuring printed balsa fins and a plastic nose cone, the MICRON can be assembled in minutes. Will fly up to 2,000' and return on a colorful streamer for a soft-safe landing. Fly it again and again. Complete kit includes decals. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-micron-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1964 Catalog
centuri-micron-1965%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1965 Catalog
centuri-micron-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1967 Catalog

centuri-micron-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-micron-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog
centuri-micron-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-micron-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-micron-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog
centuri-micron-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

centuri-micron-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Micron (KV-8) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Micron

KV-8

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 9.2" (23.4 cm)
Diameter: 0.759" (1.9 cm)
Span: 2.6" (6.6 cm)
Weight: 0.4 oz (11.3 g)

Mfg. Description: 1963 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-micron-2007%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2007 Web Ad
semroc-micron-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

semroc-micron-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Heres my Semroc "Micron" DKV-8

Attachments

• Micron.JPG
    Micron.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Micron1.JPG
    Micron1.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 92
Sweet! I'm going the same route, but with a metallic nose cone. That big 'ol checkerboard wrap just screams "old school" and I like that. I like it a lot.

Nice job. Cool rocket.

I found the lug got in the way of the wrap (as spec'd in the instructions), so I shortened and lowered it. How did you cope with it?

Last edited:
Sweet! I'm going the same route, but with a metallic nose cone. That big 'ol checkerboard wrap just screams "old school" and I like that. I like it a lot.

Nice job. Cool rocket.

I found the lug got in the way of the wrap (as spec'd in the instructions), so I shortened and lowered it. How did you cope with it?
I didnt catch the decal thing untill I put them on this morn. I cut 1 White square out and it went on OK.

I couldn't locate mine in the shop, but here are a couple of vintage shots to show that I do own one and it has flown. It originally had a red/white/blue paint job that I did with the remnants of metallic paint from two other projects, but I wasn't happy with the way it turned out. I repainted it with the orange, white and black and added a wrap decal from Excelsior. I like it this way MUCH better.:wink:

SemrocMicronatVOA.jpg

SemrocMicronrecovery.jpg

I couldn't locate mine in the shop, but here are a couple of vintage shots to show that I do own one and it has flown. It originally had a red/white/blue paint job that I did with the remnants of metallic paint from two other projects, but I wasn't happy with the way it turned out. I repainted it with the orange, white and black and added a wrap decal from Excelsior. I like it this way MUCH better.:wink:

Very Nice.
The Orange REALLY SHOWS in that first picture..almost glowing.

Another nifty little Semroc/Centuri Micron. I really like all of the different paint schemes in this thread—they're all very well done.

I couldn't help but go stock (except for the Micron decal) on this one. I dig the 1964 motif. Bunches. Easy and fun build. Quite satisfying, really.
Micron.jpg

This Micron kit came as a free bonus in a Semroc order last year. Thanks, Semroc!

Mine looks much like the previous post's. I did convert it to 13mm power. I really wished that I had left off the motor hook, though, because it's hard to get my big fingers in there to release it. The paints are Rustoleum with a Future clear coat. Open Rocket gives me 600' on an A3-4.

Micron 2.jpg

This was the first rocket kit I ever bought back in 1975, so it has a bit of sentimental value to me... I decided to do it in the kit panel scheme rather than the classic catalog scheme. The actual kit (left) I left unopenned. The rocket I built was a SEMROC clone kit. This way I can display them together.
We had this rocket back then too. It was a fun rocket to fly. Used a C6-7 and with the Altimeter it did show it went up too about 2000 ft. If it wasn't for the streamers we probably would have lost it.A calm day it came back down about 100 feet away. It did go out of view for a few seconds. Nice to see you have original kit. Hold on to it. :)
Micron%2BKit.jpg
Micron%2BCompleted.jpg

This Micron kit came as a free bonus in a Semroc order last year. Thanks, Semroc!

Mine looks much like the previous post's. I did convert it to 13mm power. I really wished that I had left off the motor hook, though, because it's hard to get my big fingers in there to release it. The paints are Rustoleum with a Future clear coat. Open Rocket gives me 600' on an A3-4.

View attachment 106574
Good Ol Micron, nice job on it with Checker board. I would like to see this in a 24 or 29mm version or a 38mm. Or I will do a custom build like I did my Arcon HI. Micron was a fun bird to fly. We hit 2000 feet with the 1972 version with C motors. Here is a photo of my Custom Built 29mm Arcon Hi

Attachments

• IM003029.JPG
    IM003029.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 14
Good Ol Micron, nice job on it with Checker board. I would like to see this in a 24 or 29mm version or a 38mm. Or I will do a custom build like I did my Arcon HI. Micron was a fun bird to fly. We hit 2000 feet with the 1972 version with C motors. Here is a photo of my Custom Built 29mm Arcon Hi

Attachments

• IM003029.JPG
    IM003029.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 10

Micron%2BKit.jpg
Micron%2BCompleted.jpg

Its great that Semroc has Retro kits. I have a few over the years.

Back