Olive Drab Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dude

Reaction score
This is something of an open ended question, but I was wondering if anyone had a preferred OD paint in the rattle can variety.
I'm finishing up a TLP Lance and haven't found anything locally that really fits the bill. I'm leaning toward something along the lines of 34094 or 34079 (per federal standard 595) but am open to other suggestions.
https://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34094
https://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34079

In my internet travels, I've found one supplier for military paints so far, but hate to pay more in shipping than the actual paint itself.
https://www.rapcoparts.com/spraypaint.html
Reference samples from same supplier:
https://www.rapcoparts.com/padenew.html

I've had good results in the past using Krylon's "Camouflage" series Olive Drab. Last time I got it at Wal-Mart, but it's been a couple of years.

I second the Krylon Cammo OD. I used it on My Pershing 1. To answer your question, it's more to the green side. Closely matches the Army OD used in the 50's and 60's. I actually work as a painter for a DOD aerospace contractor so I'm quite familar with the FSD color system. As a note the 34 in 34xxx has nothing to do with the color but the sheen. Color ID is the last three numbers. 14 and 16 are gloss, 24 and 26 are semi gloss, 34, 36 and 37 are matt. The Krylon finish falls in the 34 sheen range. I'll check it against the FSD color chips we have at work tonight and post the number (or closest visual match I can find). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Troy-thanks, that would be awesome. At one time I worked for a DOD subcontractor in the engineering realm so I'm mildly familiar with the FSD colors, though nowhere near your knowledge. That's probably the reason why I can't get the 34094 out of my head (we were using 383 CARC) along with 24052.

Last edited:
The green "camo" krylon from W-Mart looks identical to Military Olive Drab. Check out my pics on HPR section, of my LOC ViperIV. I went with the military missle theme and it looks great...better than I expected.

Attachments

• February 27 20011 075.jpg
    February 27 20011 075.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 68
  • February 27 20011 077.jpg
    February 27 20011 077.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 36
Tony-thanks, that would be awesome. At one time I worked for a DOD subcontractor in the engineering realm so I'm mildly familiar with the FSD colors, though nowhere near your knowledge. That's probably the reason why I can't get the 34094 out of my head (we were using 383 CARC) along with 24052.

Not a problem. I did a visual check against our color charts. The Krylon Cammo OD comes in between 34151 and 34097 so your focus on 34094 was probably dead on ;) . Funny thing is most of what we shoot now is greys. I think I've shot green twice in three years. Be sure to post some pics as soon as your rolling. Best of luck.

The green "camo" krylon from W-Mart looks identical to Military Olive Drab. Check out my pics on HPR section, of my LOC ViperIV. I went with the military missle theme and it looks great...better than I expected.

Way cool. reminds me of the 2.75" ground assault rockets we used in the Army. Got any flight pics?

Troy-Thanks for looking into that...I think we have a winner. Also thank you to skyspike for posting the pics to your Viper IV, nice to see the finished product. Off to the hardware store...just need some better weather to paint in though.

The green "camo" krylon from W-Mart looks identical to Military Olive Drab.
There is no one military olive drab. In the US military, OD has changed over the years, with different numbering schemes, different sheens, different shades, and different service branches. On top of that, an error or two crept into the federal standards that were later corrected. And that's not including other countries! It can be a real can of worms if you are trying to pin it down to certain years. There is a lot of information and misinformation on the subject to be found on the Internet, and some even perpetrated by manufacturers. For example, the "23070" made by Gillespie and sold by Rapco is a fictional FS number made up by Gillespie.

How do I know this? My son and I are restoring a 1952 Willys M38 jeep and have been researching the subject, mostly relying on the information of those who have already researched it. It's been fun and frustrating at the same time. Nobody commercially supplies the 2430 OD paint that is correct for that year, which, according to some sources, is a semi-gloss version of lusterless 319 with a concurrent change in the numbering scheme, although Gillespie's "23070" is apparently pretty darn close. Ay-yi-yi!

I've had good results in the past using Krylon's "Camouflage" series Olive Drab. Last time I got it at Wal-Mart, but it's been a couple of years.

Agreed, use it all the time. Works great, and easy to touch up.

I just painted a Fliskits Bullseye with Krylon camouflage from Wal-Mart and it turned out nice and smooth as well.

There is no one military olive drab. In the US military, OD has changed over the years, with different numbering schemes, different sheens, different shades, and different service branches. On top of that, an error or two crept into the federal standards that were later corrected. And that's not including other countries! It can be a real can of worms if you are trying to pin it down to certain years. There is a lot of information and misinformation on the subject to be found on the Internet, and some even perpetrated by manufacturers. For example, the "23070" made by Gillespie and sold by Rapco is a fictional FS number made up by Gillespie.

How do I know this? My son and I are restoring a 1952 Willys M38 jeep and have been researching the subject, mostly relying on the information of those who have already researched it. It's been fun and frustrating at the same time. Nobody commercially supplies the 2430 OD paint that is correct for that year, which, according to some sources, is a semi-gloss version of lusterless 319 with a concurrent change in the numbering scheme, although Gillespie's "23070" is apparently pretty darn close. Ay-yi-yi!

For what it's worth, the Deft paint co. mixes most of the FSD paints currently used by the military and asscociated contractors. It's all MIL-PRF-85285 so color is guaranteed. It's mostly high solids urethane. They can be aquired here https://www.chesapeakebaycoatings.com/

Beachwood Canvas works
39 Lake Avenue PO box127
Island Heights,New Jersey
but have not got anything from them for 2 years ( hope their still open)
looks like they are : https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/

they had many military paint in rattle cans
I use:
WWII Lusterless Flat
No#319 Olive Drab Paint
(1941 & 43 ES-1 Color chart)

Last edited:
One last thought, Testors Model Master line of paints are mixed and labeled to FSD colors. Not the best paint but not bad. FWIW

Thanks to everyone who replied. It probably took longer to debate what I wanted and find the paint, than it took to build the darn the thing. I did end up buying the Krylon Camo OD, but that was a little darker than what I was looking for on a test piece. Next up was a small can of Testor's, but that was a little on the tan side. I found Testor's Model Master paint last night at my LHS (probably should have looked there in the first place) which as stantonjtroy mentioned, is mixed to FS colors. The winner was FS #34102.
I've used Testor's paints sparingly as I somehow always seem to have trouble with it, but this went on amazingly well (over primer). The finished product is a solid, but muted shade. Pics to follow later once I get the stenciling done. Thanks again to everyone...

Back