Tripoli membership long expired

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVegh

Reaction score
I just checked out the Tripoli website looking for info on how long you have to renew your membership once its expired. I could not find anywhere that its says you have x number of months or years to renew your membership.

Does anyone know if you can still renew even if your membership has lapsed long ago? If so do they recycle membership numbers or is there a chance that my old number is still mine and would my certifications still be recognized?

Thanks

I just checked out the Tripoli website looking for info on how long you have to renew your membership once its expired. I could not find anywhere that its says you have x number of months or years to renew your membership.

Does anyone know if you can still renew even if your membership has lapsed long ago? If so do they recycle membership numbers or is there a chance that my old number is still mine and would my certifications still be recognized?

Thanks
How long?...and did your NAR stay current?

I was out of the hobby during my relocation for a career change...at several years.
I was able to renew my old Tripoli number, but had to recertify.

If you don't stay current, you loose your certifications.

If you had NAR certs, and stayed current, maybe they will get you reciprocity in Tripoli.

Thanks for the reply MaxQ, Well... 15 years is how long, I know, thats a long time.:eek:

I am new to NAR and have not certified with them yet. So I suppose I will be certifying again. Thats not a problem, infact I still have my L1 rocket from back then and RMS hardware from 18 to 54 mm.

I was more interested in whether or not I could renew with TRA. It is encouraging to hear that you were able to even after a period of years.

Thanks again

If a moderator sees this could you move it to a more appropriate section.

Thanks

If you rejoin Tripoli, you should get your old number back. You will have to re-certify.

After your year of membership you have another year to renew at your attained level. Let it lapse and you start over as I am;)

I actually renewed last March but never made it out to certify. It will be until May before I can renew but that's ok, I like the Idaho desert in May...it's still green, usually :p

Thanks for the reply MaxQ, Well... 15 years is how long, I know, thats a long time.:eek:

I am new to NAR and have not certified with them yet. So I suppose I will be certifying again. Thats not a problem, infact I still have my L1 rocket from back then and RMS hardware from 18 to 54 mm.

I was more interested in whether or not I could renew with TRA. It is encouraging to hear that you were able to even after a period of years.

Thanks again

You can renew with TRA and even I believe you can get your # back if you remember it.

As far as the Certs, you will have to re-certify each level since it has been over 1 year and you let your membership lapse and were not staying current with NAR.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I still have my old TRA membership card so I do know my number.

I think it would be really neat to recert on same rocket that I used to L1 on 17 years ago. It would be really cool to do it on the same motor but I might have a hard time finding a Vulcan H100 :D. I guess an H128 will do fine.

You could use a Pro29 H90. That'd probably be the closest in thrust and effect.

I do want to point out something that a surprising number of people have gotten wrong (not in this thread, but thru the years).

When your membership expires, your HPR CERTIFICATION ALSO EXPIRES!!!

What the “one year grace” thing is about, is that you have up to one year to renew after membership expiration, without having to re-certify HPR from scratch.

If your membership is expired, so is everything associated with that membership, so you are not HPR certified, either.

Thru the years there have been some people who actually thought they could get away with being a member for one year, letting it expire, then continue to fly HPR almost another full year before “having” to rejoin again. Then they planned to let the renewal lapse again and try to squeeze another 2 years of HPR flying out of one year of legal membership. And actually a lot of them have gotten away with it.

I thought I’d point this out, again, since so many people continue to assume (wishful thinking) that they can fly HPR for up to a year after their membership expires. They ought to try driving their cars for up to one year after their driver’s license expires, and find out what the police and auto insurance company thinks about that....

The above assumes a person was a member of only one organization (NAR or Tripoli) and let that membership expire without joining the other organization where their HPR cert may have been transferred.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Thanks George, my assumption was that I would have to recertify. I also assumed that I would have to rejoin and would not be allowed to renew but it seems that others have been able to renew even after years away from the organization. This was really the info I was trying to find out.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks George, my assumption was that I would have to recertify. I also assumed that I would have to rejoin and would not be allowed to renew but it seems that others have been able to renew even after years away from the organization. This was really the info I was trying to find out.

You can indeed renew, and should be able to retain your old number.

Fill out the renewal form, send it in, include the old number, and Deb will take care of it. As others have said, you'll have to recertify, but it sounds like that shouldn't be an issue for you.

-Kevin

Thanks for all of the replies.

I still have my old TRA membership card so I do know my number.

I think it would be really neat to recert on same rocket that I used to L1 on 17 years ago. It would be really cool to do it on the same motor but I might have a hard time finding a Vulcan H100 :D. I guess an H128 will do fine.

Ah yes...the old smokey sam.
I put aVulcan H100 in a lightweight Loc IV to certify L1...I'm lucky to have found it.

Ah yes...the old smokey sam.
I put aVulcan H100 in a lightweight Loc IV to certify L1...I'm lucky to have found it.

Like many other components/relics of my early high power days I still have the spent casing from my original L1 flight.

VULCAN SYSTEMS, INC.
P.O. Box 6099 Colorado Springs, CO 80934
MOTOR TYPE: H100-10-SS MANUFACTURED: 11/93

:cool:;):D:eyepop::):wink::jaw::surprised:

Maybe my wife is right. I am a packrat.:D

Well my IRS refund finally hit my account so naturally the first thing I did was renew my Tripoli membership. :wink: I rewed via paypal about ten minutes ago it was very quick and easy.

Like many other components/relics of my early high power days I still have the spent casing from my original L1 flight.

VULCAN SYSTEMS, INC.
P.O. Box 6099 Colorado Springs, CO 80934
MOTOR TYPE: H100-10-SS MANUFACTURED: 11/93

:cool:;):D:eyepop::):wink::jaw::surprised:

Maybe my wife is right. I am a packrat.:D

Seems people like to hang onto the used single use motors as rememberances if nothing. Like the G55 cases and the I132 case stashed away..

Nostalgia...:wink:

I just received my membership package from Tripoli. It feels good to be back!

Seems people like to hang onto the used single use motors as rememberances if nothing. Like the G55 cases and the I132 case stashed away..

Nostalgia...:wink:

Nostalgia,, I thougth it was just plain bad luck to throw them away... looks like i can shed some garage weight...

Back