ODD'L ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen such a smooth, polished Wedgie. Nice work!

Are you going to use the available skins or paint the outside walls?

Thank you for saying so.

I'm leaning towards using this as the Wedgie's paint scheme, or something similar to it.

wedgie 072.jpg

oddlrockets.jpg

jonrocket.jpg

oddl_wedgie_02.jpg

Last edited:
Had some warm weather and I got a coat of primer on the Wedgie. Then all the blemishes came out and glared at me.

Actualy only the lower corners are being buggers and needed more filling work, everything else was pretty good. It's filled and sanded, just waiting for the next coat when the weather permits it.

wedgie 073.jpg

wedgie 074.jpg

wedgie 075.jpg

Attachments

• wedgie 070.jpg
    wedgie 070.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 39
You are certainly going above and beyond on the finishing of the Wedgie!
I was using the printed skins on all my prototypes.
The paint scheme you drew up looks great, it carries over the wedge shape into the body sides.
I'm looking forward to the finished model!

Paint scheme I, II & III.

wedgie 081.jpg

Attachments

• wedgie 072.jpg
    wedgie 072.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 36
  • wedgie 080.jpg
    wedgie 080.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 38
Paint scheme I, II, III & IV.

wedgie 082.jpg

Attachments

• wedgie 072.jpg
    wedgie 072.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 43
  • wedgie 080.jpg
    wedgie 080.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 38
  • wedgie 081.jpg
    wedgie 081.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 40
I've never seen M&Ms used for a color test before.
I use Skittles myself.

What kind of glue do you use to get them to stick to sides of the Wedgie?

I've never seen M&Ms used for a color test before.
I use Skittles myself.

What kind of glue do you use to get them to stick to sides of the Wedgie?
It's not a color test. Gluing candies to the sides of things is a technique that has long been taught at Clown College. Bradycros and I graduated at the top our class. :D

Here at Clown College, we feel our sponsor, SUNOCO (Sun Oil Company) and their logo colors need to be carried over to Odd'l Rockets Wedgie. This color combination poses no problem for the Clown in the Gown and the Official Clown College Pace Car with a Star.

The type of glue used is proprietary. If this information were to be disclosed to you, the Curse of the Clowns would lean its full weight upon you for all your remaining days.

250px-Sunoco_USA_svg.png

9780822576372_150x150.jpg

Attachments

• wedgie 082.jpg
    wedgie 082.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
You may not have known -
Texaco is the official gasoline of the Odd'l Rockets line.

The correct book title should be -
"You Can Trust Your Car to the Man Who Wears The Star"

$(KGrHqJ,!hIE1fwr!usDBNhSoBoTOw~~_3[1]_WEB.jpg

Clown Star 4.jpg

You may not have known -
Texaco is the official gasoline of the Odd'l Rockets line.

The correct book title should be -
"You Can Trust Your Car to the Man Who Wears The Star"

Hmmm... that may be so-
But your gonna your have'ta trust your Wedgie to the clown that paints it.

Looks kinda christmas'y with the green and red...

wedgie 083.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!hIE1fwr!usDBNhSoBoTOw~~_3[1]_WEB.jpg

wedgie 084.jpg

For some reason, this thread is making me crave some chocolate .....

I may have to go buy some M&Ms ... just in case I need them to help me decide how to paint a rocket.

-- Roger

Krylon Sun Yellow.

Krylon White Primer.

Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler.

wedgie 088.jpg

wedgie 089.jpg

wedgie 090.jpg

wedgie 079.jpg

wedgie 070.jpg

Regrouped, crunched differant numbers of my own and got 60 degrees for the miters. Cut 60 degree angled pieces from card board and glued them onto the 30 degree jig pieces that are already in place.

Repeated sanding of the edges at 60 degrees and obtained very good results.

Isn't the answe there are 360 in a circle (or going around all the way once)

a triangle has 3 sides BUT you have 6 edges to add up. So 60 deg times 6 is 360 degs ?

Isn't the answe there are 360 in a circle (or going around all the way once)

a triangle has 3 sides BUT you have 6 edges to add up. So 60 deg times 6 is 360 degs ?

The exterior angles add up to 360. But, the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees. (I think that's the clue to the cause of the confusion ....)

In an equilateral triangle, each inside angle is 60 degrees. Since you are joining two panels at each corner, the correct inside angles for the Wedgie are 30 degrees.

Since this is actually a pyramid, the angles are a little different. You'd actually need to bevel in two directions at once. But, 60 degrees is close enough.

Anyway, as I hinted above, I think the confusion is because of how the angle is being measured.

The instructions say to sand the bevels like this:

EDIT: I just checked and discovered that the instructions for the Wedgie show the balsa laying flat instead of the sand paper, but the angle being sanded is the same - and I'd rather go to sleep now than re-do the drawing. :)

The angle between the balsa and sandpaper is 30 degrees.

Let's jump back and imagine what happens if you don't sand the bevel and try to assemble the pyramind. The panels will join each other on the inside, but there will be a large gap on the outside:

If you go to the other extreme and sand a very sharp angle with a long sloping end, the outside edges will meet, but there will be a gap on the inside:

Obviously, the correct angle is somewhere between the two extremes. But, what I want you to see is that, if there's a gap on the outside, you need to sand a sharper angle to get rid of the gap.

Looking at the way the instructions say to sand the bevel ...

... to get the sharper angle on the panel, you need to reduce the angle between the panel and the sand paper when you position the sandpaper and panel as in the above illustration.

So, it was confusing to me when bradycros said he had to increase the angle.

My conclusion is that bradycros is measuring the angle differently. If you measure the angle of the bevel with the panel lying flat, the angle is 60 degrees from vertical (90 - 30 = 60). You need to sand 60 degrees off of the panel to create the proper 30 degree angle. Another way to say it is that you need a 60 degree interior angle which is the same as a 120 degree exterior angle .

Note ... I didn't draw the angles at the correct angles just because I couldn't figure out how to do it in Photoshop. But, here's something I drew in PowerPoint that shows the angles:

I don't show the exterior angle, but you can see that it's 120 degrees (60 + 60).

And a corner should look like:

-- Roger

Last edited:
To expand picture without losing all the detail, place curser on photo, right click mouse, select open link, click arrowhead in bottom righthand corner of screen (next to 100%), select 150%. Return screen to 100% when finished viewing.

Here's my take on it:

Picture 1. A triangle inside a circle. Reference lines are drawn thru the corners of the triangle to dead center and out the opposite side for each corner making a reference line.

Picture 2. The protractor is centerd in the center of the triangle, the 0 degree and 180 degree graduations on the protractor are alined with a reference line. The protractors indacating arm reads 120 degrees.

Picture 3. The protractor is centerd in the center of the triangle, the 0 degree and 180 degree graduations of the protractor are alined with a reference line. The indacating arm of the protractor is alined with a corner of the triangle. This corner of the triangle is now cut in half. The protractors indacating arm reads 60 degrees for each half of that corner.

Picture 4. 60 degree bevels were sanded into two sides of each side wall with the aid of a jig. A total of six 60 degree bevels were made.

Picture 5. All this seems to work as the triangle (pyramid) went together quite well.

wedgie 093.jpg

wedgie 094.jpg

wedgie 091.jpg

wedgie 042.jpg

wedgie 043.jpg

Last edited:
You've flipped the protractor from the way Chris and I have measured the angle. That's the difference. I've overlayed your image with the "30 degree" angle that we're talking about.

-- Roger

wedgie%20094.jpg

You've flipped the protractor from the way Chris and I have measured the angle. That's the difference. I've overlayed your image with the "30 degree" angle that we're talking about.

-- Roger

Well, there ya go.

Got tired of play'n around with the M&M's.
It got to a scream'n 58 degrees in the shade with 55% humidity and a mild breeze this afternoon. So, I did some masking and shot some paint on the Wedgie.

wedgie 095.jpg

wedgie 096.jpg

wedgie 097.jpg

Last edited:
Strange but true. The yellow looks like a fin template for a Big Bertha.

Attachments

• wedgie 097.jpg
    wedgie 097.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 36
Strange but true. The yellow looks like a fin template for a Big Bertha.

Actually, it looks like a paper or cardstock WRAP for a Big Bertha fin, with the two halves connected at the leading edge! (at first glance, that's what I first thought it was until I made out the black part - hey, I JUST got up and haven't had any caffein yet! :rolleyes:)

It's the optics of the camera. The black pyramids are all the same size.

After three days I figured that what was already painted could stand up to some masking. I wanted to get it done because more crummy weather is due here very soon.

wedgie 101.jpg

wedgie 102.jpg

wedgie 103.jpg

Back