ODD'L ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradycros

Reaction score
WEDGIE​

FLYING

THREE SIDED PYRAMID​
brought to you by www.oddlrockets.com

I contacted Hans "Chris" Michielssen, owner of odd'l rockets, better known to us here at TRF as hcmbanjo. I asked if he would like a build thread done on his Wedgie. He replied that he'd prefer that a person with questionable building skills and character not represent his product(s). Furthermore, he implied that if I persisted in this matter I would receive a wedgie I would not soon forget.

Boy, that Chris... what kidder :rofl:
That's just crazy talk...

1.jpg

Last edited:
The assemblys come in their own seperate bag. I belive that's a sign of an organized mind.

Odd'l rockets are available thru www.jonrocket.com

Attachments

• oddl_wedgie_02.jpg
    oddl_wedgie_02.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 84
  • oddl_wedgie_03.jpg
    oddl_wedgie_03.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 87
The instructions are well writen and eazy to follow. I rearanged the order of the instruction booklet so the Assembly View and parts list page could be placed right next to the step I was working on.

When step one called for parts A,B & C, you'll find that the parts in the illustration are not labled A,B & C. However, all the needed information is in the instruction booklet, shuffling the pages around gets the information in one place for eazy verification.

wedgie 010.jpg

When step one called for parts A,B & C, you'll find that the parts in the illustration are not labled A,B & C. However, all the needed information is in the instruction booklet, shuffling the pages around gets the information in one place for eazy verification.

I thought I was doing pretty well on the instructions.
Even Estes and Quest don't refer back to the part numbers in each step and step illustrations.

But then again, they sell a few more kits than I do.

I thought I was doing pretty well on the instructions.

Even Estes and Quest don't refer back to the part numbers in each step and step illustrations.

But then again, they sell a few more kits than I do.

There's Chris and that crazy talk again... what a guy...

In the Grand Scheme of Wedgie building, it really doesn't make an ioata of differance if the illustration has A,B or C on it. Just an observation that the step calls for Parts A,B & C. Since there's olny one motor mount, you'd have to be a real knuckle dragger to confuse the parts with any thing else.

The instructions and illustrations work just fine, exceptions would be the bonafide knuckle draging bone heads that wonder what the glue tastes like.

Last edited:
Boy that thingie, wedgie, looks complikatid. Most of them there parts ain't even round. Rockets are round. Pies are squared.

Glue tastes just like that bread stuff without all that baking flavor in it.

G.D.

5/16" was marked off the Forward engine tube and 1/4" on the Rear engine tube. A piece of paper was wraped around each tube, lining up the edge of the paper with the measurement tic mark and alineing the edge of the paper with its self. Using the paper as a straight edge, a line was extended around the tube to aid with the alinement and setting of the centering triangles in the next step.

The paper thingie works well and could be incorperated into the instructions as a building tip kinda thingie.

Last edited:
The fit of the motor tube into the centering triangle was fine until I sanded some of the chared wood off from the lazer cutting.
To get a snug fit back I used a tooth pick to applied a thin layer of white glue to the motor tube where the measurement had already been made and the line was already drawn. The same was done to the inside edge of the centering triangle. The parts were set aside seprately to dry.

wedgie 011.jpg

With the O.D. of the motor tubes and the I.D. of the centering triangles built up with white glue, the friction fit is snug again. The bottom of the centering triangles are alined with the lines that were drawn on the motor tubes.

All that's needed is a drop of water placed into the joints with a tooth pick and the white glue is reactivated, setting the centering triangle in place. Fillets can be applied at any time now.

Please Visit:
www.oddlrockets.com
www.jonrocket.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com

before 'ol Hans decides to give me that atomic wedgie, that I won't soon forget. :eek:

wedgie 026.jpg

Last edited:
Alright now... enough of that...

Gotta get some recovery gear in this Wedgie.

The instructions direct you to cut a 3/16" notch in both centering rings, enough for the lunch lug to pass thru the notch. A hobby saw was used to make the notch. I suppose a stout pair of sissors would acomplish the task faster.

A finger board (nail file) was used to clean up the paper boogers left from cutting. Finger boards are available at Wal Mart. You might ask your self;

"If I were a package of finger boards at Wal Mart , were would I be hiding?"

Not a problem... follow the game trail left by women as they've made their way to the Finger Nail Paint bush. The elusive finger boards will be hiding in a burrow right next to the Finger Nail Paint bush. Firmly grab what ya need and exit quickly. You do not want to be exposed for any length or period of time in this hazardous no mans land.

Next, a few layers of paper need to be removed from the ring to make shallow notch, enough to allow the elastic shock cord to fit between the I.D. of the ring and the O.D. of the motor tube. The instructions don't call for it but I added a small notch on the bottom of the ring so the elastic could pass between the two rings freely.

All the cuts and notches were soaked with thin CA to prevent delamination and filed smooth with the finger board that was obtained by fearlessly wading into a dangerous situation, risking both life and limb.

Visit www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

wedgie 020.jpg

wedgie 015.jpg

wedgie 016.jpg

wedgie 019.jpg

wedgie 021.jpg

Last edited:
Since it was a rocketry related activity, I wonder if The NAR insurance would have coverd me if I was maimed?

I think it is nice to be able to find 1/2 oz bottles of paint in various colours :) w/o driving 40 mi to the hobby shop...
rex

White glue was dribbled on the last 1" of the elastic, then folded over onto its self to 1/2". Another dribble of glue and another fold was made, ending up at 1/4". A straight pin was pushed thru the folds to hold it together while the glue dried. I did this to give the end of the shock cord a better appearance then a granny knot with the tag end sticking out. My fingers were continusely wiped off on a damp dish towel so the glue on the shock cord wouldn't get that dirty look.

The I.D. of the motor tubes were soaked with thin CA by using a Q-tip.

Why?

To cut the wear and tear on the tube way down.

Check out Odd'l rockets at www.jonrocket.com

wedgie 025.jpg

Last edited:
This brings the motor mount sub assembly to a conclusion, please return your chair and tray to the full upright and locked position.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to build along with www.oddlrockets.com available at www.jonrocket.com

wedgie 023.jpg

Last edited:
Next up is the Main Body Assembly.

wedgie 004.jpg

Attachments

• oddl_wedgie_02.jpg
    oddl_wedgie_02.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 52
I strayed from the instructions a bit. I taped the two pieces together.

wedgie 005.jpg

Back