My next project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfish

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
2011.jpg

Tony

Nose cone mold, alum? tube, possibly K12 kevlar equivelent cloth (maybe 18 oz cloth?) Looks ready to fly! Good luck keep posted...

What a beautiful casing you got there!

I see a casing with fins rocket coming up!

Anything to put it in scale? 54mm? 75mm? 98mm??

98mm min dia (98/15360)
Body tubes..24" & 36" (from a 60" wide piece) 6 layers of 5.85oz fiberglass https://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=81&

Epoxy..Raka 900 and 621 https://www.raka.com/epoxy.html (thinned with denatured alcohol)

one layer plus 1.5" of 2 mil mylar (TAP) over motor case. Only tape mylar at corners and not in the field.

2 layers of peel ply over glass https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/vb7025.php

I was going to video tape the layup by my camcorder is on the fritz. I hope to get another camera in a couple of days.

98T.jpg

Note: I'm not saying that this is the "only way" or even the right way of doing things. I'm just showing you how I do it.

Tony

Last edited:
Here's a video of how I layup my body tubes. They come out at 221 grams per foot.

[YOUTUBE]q3wtcNTd9wg[/YOUTUBE]

Tony

Last edited:
After letting it sit overnight.

Removing the tube.

[YOUTUBE]ULktB6THEZU[/YOUTUBE]

Tony

Last edited:
Tony,

Very nice, thank you for sharing. What is the thickness of the finished tube? Is this compatible with a commercial nose cone?

Just wondering how many layers of 5.7oz CF would yield a tube with the proper OD to match a commercial cone.

The wall thickness is .064 with a 3.885 ID, 4.013 OD

I tried a 3.9" plastic nose cone on it and it's a tad loose. It would need some masking tape if used that way. The OD's are really nice.

I hope to have a "laying up the nose cone" video tomorrow some time.

Tony

Here's a video on laying up a coupler from a mandrel. The next video will be on how to make a coupler from a piece of body tube.

[YOUTUBE]2aumKTUIlZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Tony

Quick question regarding doing the fiberglass wrap. When you fiberglass a cardboard tube how do you keep the fiberglass on the edges? I know some people use fiberglass socks and tie the ends off to keep them tight on the edges but I just have fiberglass cloth. On my last glassing job (made my coupler a tad small did two wraps to make it larger) I had a tough time keeping the edges down.

Thanks in advanced

Matt

Matt, Here's a couple of things you can try. Cuttting the glass wider then you need..so that the ends are hanging off the tube. You could make the tube longer then you need and then cut off the ends of the tube that are not so good. I think the peel ply would also keep that problem in check. I have a buddy who used to use his wifes old stockings as the last layer of a layup. He would slide them on and then pull on the ends to smooth things out. Sort of like your fiberglass sock would.

Here is a video on making a coupler from a piece of body tube.

[YOUTUBE]wbyt8r9l7fo[/YOUTUBE]

I've started on making a video on how to make a nose cone mold.

Tony

Here's a video on how to make a nose cone mold.

[YOUTUBE]CRlWkMmMKl8[/YOUTUBE]

The next one will be on how to glass a cardboard tube.

Tony

This thread has gone into my Favorites. :)

Thanks for all of the videos. They are fantastic. I want to echo something that was said in the Saturday Night Chat on RP. Before these videos, I never really considered doing my own tubes. After seeing these, I'm thinking "Hey, I could do that!" Thanks!

This is great. Not so much because none of us knew how to do glassing, layups, etc. But the fact that you have taken the time to setup the video camera and sorta put yourself out there and make this available to everyone is just fantastic. These are excellent reference videos especially for those just getting into glassing. Good job.

Where are you purchasing peel ply, and what are its specs. I am looking around for some and i thought it would just be "peel ply", but i am finding different weights.

Thanks
Peter

Back