Estes - Photon Disruptor (#1282) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ron

Reaction score
Here my Estes Photon Disruptor. It's not my greatest work but here it is in all its fingerprinted glory. Sorry but I couldn't find a proper rocket holding device so i had to finger it. :D

CIMG1063.jpg

CIMG1066.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. Stock build a few months ago; left out the motor mount. No flights yet.

Paint: Dupli Color Polar/Artic White
Dupli Color Engine Enamel with ceramic Chevrolet Orange
Clear: Pledge Future Floor Finish

EDIT: First flight on 07-07-2012 with Estes C6-3, pretty straight didn't drift too far, zero damage.

PA040927.jpg

Photon Disruptor Lift Off 01.JPG

Photon Disruptor Lift Off 02.JPG

Last edited:
Just finished my Disruptor and weighed it....came out to 4.8 oz how on earth will that fly on a B engine???

the decal with engines on it says A8-3 no way!

here is mine with a crappy phone camera

disruptor.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished my Disruptor and weighed it....came out to 4.8 oz how on earth will that fly on a B engine???

the decal with engines on it says A8-3 no way!

Such another cool estes rocket.Funny this gallery gem should come up !!

Mine should come in at around 5-6 pounds ;)

More on that later.

Paul t

Such another cool estes rocket.Funny this gallery gem should come up !!

Mine should come in at around 5-6 pounds ;)

More on that later.

Paul t

Mine weigh's about 12lbs., but as my wife always says, "It's not about you". :roll:

Mine weigh's about 12lbs., but as my wife always says, "It's not about you". :roll:

12 POUNDS ???

I`m using 4" BT and 3" for the aft section & 1/4" ply fins.

How big was yours ? (Hmmmmm....that doesn`t sound right :eek: )

Paul T

Welcome to the Estes Photon Disruptor (#1282) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Photon Disruptor (#1282) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Photon Disruptor: #1282
Estes: Photon Disruptor: #3025
Estes: Photon Disruptor II: #2052

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Photon Disruptor (#1282) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Photon Disruptor Also known as:

NUMBER: #1282

Introduced: 1976
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1`
Length: 18.25"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 1.4 oz

Mfg. Description: Equip your star fleet with this sophisticated scale missile from the 23rd century. Designed primarily as a mass conversion weapon to overload the defensive screens of an enemy vessel, the actual Photon Disruptor may also be programed as an interceptor missile, a proximity space mine, or a space distress signal. Exact size, speed, range and destruct radius of this vehicle are classified. Photon Disruptor uses impulse power unit and guidance system for launch from planetary surface. Kit features operational status detailing decor and comes with 12" parachute. Assembly and operation are easy with plastic nose cone, die-cut balsa parts and quick release engine mount. (Estes 1976 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-photon%20disruptor%201282-1976%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1976 Catalog
estes-photon%20disruptor%201282-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog
estes-photon%20disruptor%201282-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1979 Catalog

estes-photon%20disruptor%201282-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-photon%20disruptor%201282-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Photon Disruptor (#3025) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Photon Probe Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Stages: 1
Length: 24.5 in. (62.2 cm)
Diameter: 1.33 in. (34 mm)
Span:
Weight: 2.4 oz. (68 g)

Mfg. Description: The Photon Disruptor is yet another great rocket from days gone by. Another great addition to our "Classic Series" line, the Photon Disruptor is a must-have for all serious rocketeers! Estes is once again proud to re-introduce you to another Classic! (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-photon%20disruptor%203025-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog
estes-photon%20disruptor%203025-2011%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2011 Catalog
estes-photon%20disruptor%203025-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Estes 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-photon%20disruptor%203025-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-photon%20disruptor%203025-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Photon Disruptor II (#2052) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Photon Disruptor II Also known as:

NUMBER: #2052

Introduced: 1991
Final Year: 1992
Designer:

Stages: 1
Length: 24.563"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.42 oz

Mfg. Description: Scale model of a 21st century Star Fleet defense missile. Our model may be launched to altitudes of 750 feet (229m). (Estes 1991 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-photon%20disruptor%20ii%202052-1991%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1991 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-photon%20disruptor%20ii%202052-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-photon%20disruptor%20ii%202052-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
This one is definitely a favorite from my youthful days in the eighties, I grabbed one right away when Estes brought it back. That upscale version rocks, wow! And yeah, this one gets only C engines for sure.

2012-05-20_00-07-29_116.jpg2012-05-20_00-07-12_530.jpg

This one is definitely a favorite from my youthful days in the eighties, I grabbed one right away when Estes brought it back. That upscale version rocks, wow! And yeah, this one gets only C engines for sure.

View attachment 84700View attachment 84701

Make SURE they're Estes C's. I flew mine on a Quest C6-5. GACK!

EstesPhotonDisruptorpre-flight.jpg

EstesPhotonDisruptorlift-off.jpg

EstesPhotonDisruptorrecovery.jpg

EstesPhotonDisruptornoseconeburial.jpg

Not sure just why, but the damage was confined to the nose cone. It looked like the classic rainbow post-hole, but the ejection charge must have fired as soon as the nose cone impacted, blowing the body tube back. Between the frozen ground and the cornstalks, the cone is a mess, but the rest of the rocket is fine.

Here is my upscale project I just finished.It`s has a 4" main BT and 3" aft BT and stands 74" tall.

Cheers

Paul T

Attachments

• phpHHhjK5PM.jpg
    phpHHhjK5PM.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 66
  • phpnFZkDkPM.jpg
    phpnFZkDkPM.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 85
  • phprBrFLlPM.jpg
    phprBrFLlPM.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 81
  • phpXPvKzVPM.jpg
    phpXPvKzVPM.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 74
I obtained one of these in the recent Estes "box o kits" sale...pretty neat build! The white/red or orange header card paint scheme was a little boring (especially sitting next to a bunch of scale models that are basically white/black/silver)...then Sunday I saw a little Dodge Dakota pickup in the Wally World parking lot that was red w/ yellow tire rims...I thought "cool!". I had already been planning to use some chrome Trim Monokote on the fins, so it all came together...can't wait to launch! The weather has forced our club to cancel every launch since January!!!!

DSC_5190MR.jpg

Here's mine. I'm really happy with how the decals went on. No, I didn't follow the catalog paint scheme... I like it this way better.

estes-photon-disruptor.jpg

here is a pic of mine at our last launch, being launched by my daughter & my mom. It was a D10-7 motor & this rocket has 16 flights so far.
uvs140706-008.jpg

This is my 20+ year old Photon Disruptor. I found it in my folks' shed while going through some old stuff of mine, along with the other rockets pictured. The rocket was built but never flown - its paint was very nasty, as if I was trying to spray paint in the freezing cold. I spent a couple hours sanding that down, then cleaned it up a bit and sprayed it to match the standard scheme. I replaced the shock cord and used a set of decals from Excelsior Rocketry. So after 20 years of sitting in a sad state, it was saved from the junk heap and is looking proud.

Not sure why the forum rotates my pics from portrait to landscape?

20150408_204515.jpg

20150507_105205.jpg

First flight of my Photon Disruptor was yesterday, on a C6-5 motor. It launched straight and true, but drifted a little bit on the downward trip.
IMG_3365b.jpgIMG_3366b.jpgIMG_3367b.jpgIMG_3369b.jpgIMG_3371b.jpg

Specs on this one? Very nice build.

Thanks!

73" tall, 4" upper tube, 3" lower tube, 3/16" plywood fins glassed with 3/4 oz., 54mm motor mount. Only the "T" fins are through the wall, the small ones are surface mount, as I didn't intend to break any speed records with this one.

I'll post a Rocksim file when they get the attachments working again.

Edit: Thanks to Rocket Reviews, here's the Rocksim file: 4inch_photon_disruptor_54_for_GHS.rkt

Last edited:
Back