Estes - Yankee (#1381) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Roy. I still have mine in the wrapper, haven't started on it yet, will post pic when I get the chance.

Heres my freshly painted Yankee, I didnt use the "Yankee" logo on the blue since it was a small rocket I didnt want to clutter it up too much.

CIMG1093.JPG

CIMG1100.JPG

Last edited:
My first rocket paint job.
Pretty nice. My first paint job (see the Estes-Viking Gallery) was adequate at best. Second paint job was a bit better and as I've gotten used to rattle cans—they get better as I go along. Your paint job is way ahead of my first one. Good work.

I like the retro scheme better, here's mine.

4B4ECB52-634D-4694-88D7-215A10BEE39D-2662-000001558DA2A8BC.jpg

Here are my Yankees. The one on the left was purchased the day I rejoined the hobby back in 1999. I later lost it on a B motor. I knew better, but did it anyway. I bought the one on the right out of guilt as a replacement, but then modified during the build it to make it sleeker looking, and included a 13mm motor mount thereby limiting it to A motors. The fins were inspired by the Astron Mark. Doug .

yankee2.jpg
yankee_new2-3.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Yankee (#1381) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Yankee (#1381) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Yankee: #1381

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Yankee (#1381) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Yankee Also known as:

NUMBER: #1381

Introduced: 1982
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 11 in. (27.9 cm)
Diameter: 0.74 in. (19 mm)
Span:
Weight: 0.4 oz. (12 g)

Mfg. Description: Easy-to-build, yet performance that will rival any rocket. Capable of flights over 2,000 feet with 30" long streamer recovery. (Estes 1982 Catalog)

=====

This Estes rocket is Yankee doodle dandy! The patriotic Yankee is a super performance model with a one-of-a-kind shaped nose cone. The aerodynamic nose cone gives this patriot the extra push it needs to fly way above the average rocket its size.

The Estes Yankee is an exciting Skill Level 1 rocket kit that knows how to rip up the skies! When flown with powerful Estes engines, this ultra trim missile screams to amazing heights over 1,800 feet! After a cloud-topping flight, the Yankee returns safely with a neon orange streamer. Within minutes after landing, it's ready for another high altitude launch!

The Yankee stands 11 inches tall and features a one piece body tube, laser cut wood fins, conical shaped nose cone and colorful red and white, All-American looking self-stick decals. Just follow the suggested paint scheme and your Yankee will really stand out on the launch pad or on your shelf.

Be patriotic, get a Yankee and add it to your collection today! (Estes 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-yankee%201381-1982%20cat.jpg
1982 Catalog

estes-yankee%201381-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-yankee%201381-face%201.jpg
estes-yankee%201381-face%201b.jpg
estes-yankee%201381-face%202.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-yankee%201381-instr%201.jpg
estes-yankee%201381-instr%202.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
No pics of mine, but it was my first rocket after returning to the hobby too! I somehow managed to fly it 2 times on a C-6 and NOT lose it!:y: I have no idea how in the world I found it again.

Finished this one yesterday, and hope to fly it tomorrow. I liked the original color scheme over the new one, but I didn't have the decals for the original scheme, so this is what it is.
01f8cf059ce8678a9b363ba83b3f241648feac5c70.jpg

Saved one from the junk pile. This is another from a collection that was picked up a few months ago from a local seller.

Pic 1 - What I started with. Literally a pile of parts out of the box.
Pic 2 - Disassembly finished and parts sanded. Ready to go back together.
Pic 3 & 4 - Reassembled and ready for sealer, primer and paint.
Pic 5 - Painted, Vinyl applied and ready to fly again.

Quick resto thread if anyone is interested. https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-yankee-restoration.162712/#post-2063862

Attachments

• IMG_9023.jpg
    IMG_9023.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9028.jpg
    IMG_9028.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9048.jpg
    IMG_9048.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9119.jpg
    IMG_9119.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
MH,

That is a great looking Yankee! I love the mods you made to it! Does your payload bay add to the overall length, or did you cut it from the original tube keeping the same overall length?

MH,

That is a great looking Yankee! I love the mods you made to it! Does your payload bay add to the overall length, or did you cut it from the original tube keeping the same overall length?
Thanks!

The payload bay doesn't add to the overall length, as I cut it from the original tubing. Its size was based on the need to house a Jolly Logic AltimeterTwo inside (sans outer casing). Now, I plan on running a MicroPeak in my BT-20 rockets, so this payload bay is oversized. If I build another Yankee with modern livery, I can make the payload bay short enough so that the "Yankee" sticker on the side is properly placed and "centered" in the blue painted area. It'll also allow me to paint the rocket with the proper amount of white and blue sections (this version you see here has more blue than it should b/c of the need to have the "Yankee" sticker so far down the rocket).

Last edited:
Here's my finished retro Yankee. It's not currently capable of flight, but can easily have a few components added to make it flight-worthy. Originally intended to be a shelf-queen, it has several flaws that makes me think this will eventually become a flyer. I'm currently working on a second retro Yankee that I hope to make a shelf queen, but I need to redo the paint to fix some blemishes.

The decals are from @Back_at_it and are vinyl. They work really well, although the wrap around the middle is about 1/2 a mm too short. But that's probably because I went thick with the paint.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Absolutely STUNNING! You should be proud of that one! Great work around the fillets as well. Very smooth!

Here's my finished retro Yankee. It's not currently capable of flight, but can easily have a few components added to make it flight-worthy. Originally intended to be a shelf-queen, it has several flaws that makes me think this will eventually become a flyer. I'm currently working on a second retro Yankee that I hope to make a shelf queen, but I need to redo the paint to fix some blemishes.

The decals are from @Back_at_it and are vinyl. They work really well, although the wrap around the middle is about 1/2 a mm too short. But that's probably because I went thick with the paint.

View attachment 573577

View attachment 573578

View attachment 573582

View attachment 573583

That came out really nice. I did cut the center band to be exact. I guess I should have left some slack for thicker primer / paint.

Last edited:
What's prettier than a retro Yankee? 2 Retro Yankees!!!!! Very nice job sir! You're making museum pieces now!

Thanks!

The payload bay doesn't add to the overall length, as I cut it from the original tubing. Its size was based on the need to house a Jolly Logic AltimeterTwo inside (sans outer casing). Now, I plan on running a MicroPeak in my BT-20 rockets, so this payload bay is oversized. If I build another Yankee with modern livery, I can make the payload bay short enough so that the "Yankee" sticker on the side is properly placed and "centered" in the blue painted area. It'll also allow me to paint the rocket with the proper amount of white and blue sections (this version you see here has more blue than it should b/c of the need to have the "Yankee" sticker so far down the rocket).
I love it when you talk about jl2altimeter just bugs me more lol because I am looking for 2 jl3altimeters and of course out of stock everywhere and anybody that has them want not to part with them

Back