Estes - (Astron) Alpha (K-25 or #1225) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the white tube extending out of the aft end of the BT-50. Did you extend the mount rearward on that one? Beautiful paint and decal job, by the way.

I noticed the white tube extending out of the aft end of the BT-50. Did you extend the mount rearward on that one? Beautiful paint and decal job, by the way.

Thanks! I did extend the MM tube rearward. The finish isn't as good as it looks in the pic. Lowering the resolution hides many sins. :)

here's my customized Alpha-III and micro Alpha in the Old colors.

The better 2/3rds very first rocket was an Alpha-II from 04-26-79. She worked her little fingers to the bone filling and sanding the fins and Nosecone of this model. Did an excellant job of priming and painting in pink and Candy Ruby red over gold...The thing was a Beauty to behold.
We and the Kids took a bunch out to an open field we used at the time. I believe she flew this first flight ever on an Estes B6-4 motor, with a stock 12" chute with a 3/4" spill hole.
Took off on a beautiful straight and true flightpath. Popped the chute just at Apogee. Almost immediately I knew we were in trouble... It just Hung there in mid-air then started going UP... Yep she'd flown right into a MONSTER thermal. We watched in vain as the model climbed up and up going out of sight in the high clouds. It was 27year before she build another rocket.

083-sm_Alpha III custom_10-12-90.jpg

336a-sm_MM Alpha (BT-5 paper wrap)_09-01-07.jpg

951a-sm_Mary's Alpha (1st model)_04-26-79.jpg

951b_Mary's Alpha-II & Flt (2pic)_04-26-79.jpg

Last edited:
1:100 scale?!:y:
Now that's really tiny, even for you.:wink:
I'm guessing you meant 1:1 scale.

Actully not; I build 1:100 and 1:144th scale even 1:200 scale micro models often. But thanks for the heads up your correct that one should have been 1:1 DOH, I've corrected the photo.

Actully not; I build 1:100 and 1:144th scale even 1:200 scale micro models often.
Well heck, I've even built a 1:100 Saturn V.:D
My comment was not a generalization of the 1:100 scale sizes
but specifically about the 1:100 scale version of the Alpha model -
which would be "tiny even for you".;)

Some Halloween Alphas.
I received an Alpha 3 as an extra in an order I place. Since it was already black
and orange, I add some skull and crossbones stickers and called it the Scaredy
Alpha. :shock:

Next is a Super Alpha in costume. I call it the Reaper. :shock::jaw::shock:
Too bad I've got to sand it all down and start over. When I put the clear coat
on.....ORANGE PEEL :mad:

Post copied to gallery with permission

Scaredy_alpha (Large).jpg

Scaredy_Alpha_launch (Large).jpg

Reaper (Large).jpg

Reaper_launch (Large).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
here is mine, recently built from a ca. 1969 kit and painted as per the instructions(did not come with decals)

astron alpha 001.jpg

My Estes Alpha converted for Coldpower rocket engines.

Alpha_CP.jpg

I have been working the "Return to Flight" program on my mothball fleet as it comes out of storage. Here is my old Alpha w/ a new coat of paint based on the 1977 Estes catalog photo.

Alpha.jpg

This is the new Maxi Alpha 3 version designed to take "D" and "E" engines.

I painted the main body tube yesterday. This morning I glued the rest of the rocket together and applied the remaining decals.

maxi_alpha_3_1903.jpg

It's a very nice kit but the BT-80 tubes are awful, almost thin as paper! :mad:

Except for clearcoating, I finished this one last night. It's actually an Estes Super Alpha kit, but I finished it in this livery as an homage to the first model rocket I built and flew as a youngster. The original had a plastic nose and fin can, but this one is all balsa. LOTS of sanding done here :) :

259528_1801252199180_1476063797_31675326_2835528_o.jpg

Mine is slightly modified, having an extra fin, and the markings are definitely not standard. :)

babylon0_5.jpg

Take a real good close look at his rocket. Then you will know :wink:

My M.A.3 with a color revamp. Wanted 3 blue fins, but the wind was viscious yesterday, so painting was limited.

Skybolt--MaxiAlpha36-12-2011001.jpg

Skybolt--MaxiAlpha36-12-2011007.jpg

I modified the motor retention so I could fly it on the pro24 6G case. I havent flown it with the Pro24 yet, but soon!

maxialpha3.JPG

Another "Super"....

SuperAlpha6-19-2011001.jpg

Not at all happy with the results..(my lack of patience), ..now requires another kit and a do-over:D

Not at all happy with the results..(my lack of patience), ..now requires another kit and a do-over:D

Looks OK In the photo.

I don't build my rockets to pass critical inspection with a magnifying glass. They are usually viewed from a distance, either setting on the pad, during launch, or under chute. And the ones that you fly get dinged up over time anyway.

I wanted an Alpha so I cloned one a few years back. Also, I use to paint my rockets in bright neon colors so I would not lose them in the tall grass. Works with orange until the fall season. Tough to find in a pile of leaves or a pumpkin patch!

Alpha 001.JPG

I finally had the chance to fly my new Estes Maxi Alpha 3. It happened at a launch put on by the Los Angeles, CA, NAR section SCRA.

It was a nice sunny day with just a light, constant breeze.

An Estes D12-3 powered the Maxi Alpha 3 for it's first flight which was excellent. :D

SCRA 06-25-11-01 Estes Maxi Alpha 3 awaiting launch.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-03 Liftoff of Estes Maxi Alpha 3 using D12-3 motor.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-04 Estes Maxi Alpha 3 clears the treeline.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-05 Estes Maxi Alpha 3 climbs against a blue sky.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-07 Estes Maxi Alpha 3 still climbing under D12-3 power.jpg

Since I am leading our Scout Pack Rocket Day in a few weeks, I built up an Alpha for a demonstration piece for our build day. I'm posting it since I'm somewhat proud, it's the first model I've spent time building in 20 years or so. lol As a demonstrator I stuck true to the package details for the most part.

i-tRbfzzC-XL.jpg

Here are several variations on the theme.

First is a stock Alpha from the current bulk kit. Next, an Alpha III with the body tube replaced by some Semroc ST-9 after a crash. Next is an Alpha III with an Alpha IV nose cone. Next, a clone of an Alpha II (including the internal differences). Finally a Semroc Start (S/N 0012) which is clearly a very close relative that's just a touch bigger and heavier.

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

which is stock except for use of a wadding-not-required Semroc BT-60 baffle. It goes to a little over 1000 feet on an Aerotech D10-7. This is from the balsa nose cone first run of the kit.

IMG_0704.jpg

Back