Buck Rogers Thunderfighter Starfighter build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
I came across the Centuri Buck Rogers Starfighter build thread this past W/E and I decided it was U-G-L-Y. So I did a little research for a paper Thunderfighter and found a fantastic model on a German site. I enlarged it a little(150%) and started building it. I plan to borrow as much as I can and use this paper model to make a flying model rocket. Depending on the size and weight, it will be either a LPR or MPR twin motors.

German paper model site

https://www.paperaviation.de/

Matt Gillard did a great job of cloning the Thunderfighter in EMRR

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/design_twin_jet_tr5_fighter.shtml

Based on his work and the German paper model I found, I intend to build the ultimate Thunderfighter Starfighter.
The Thunderfighter was suppose to be the original Viper for the
TOS Battlestar Galactica.
See it here in the PaperModelers thread.

https://www.papermodelers.com/forum...attlestar-galactica-star-thunder-fighter.html

I like the MKII version and I'll incorporate the modifications for stability.
Please feel free to give any input toward this build.

Thunderfighter001 002.JPG

Thunderfighter001 003.JPG

starfighter%20MK%202.jpg

Last edited:
I came across the Centuri Buck Rogers Starfighter build thread this past W/E and I decided it was U-G-L-Y. So I did a little research for a paper Thunderfighter and found a fantastic model on a German site. I enlarged it a little(150%) and started building it. I plan to borrow as much as I can and use this paper model to make a flying model rocket. Depending on the size and weight, it will be either a LPR or MPR twin motors.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews..._fighter.shtml

Based on his work and the German paper model I found, I intend to build the ultimate Thunderfighter Starfighter.
The Thunderrfighter was suppose to be the original Viper for the
TOS Battlestar Galactica.
See it here in the PaperModelers thread.

https://www.papermodelers.com/forum...attlestar-galactica-star-thunder-fighter.html

I like the MKII version and I'll incorporate the modifications for stability.
Please feel free to give any input toward this build.

That model was used once in the series that I know of, in the episode "Happy Birthday Buck" as Cornell Traeger's prototype starfighter he was captured in on an alien planet 20 years earlier. Evidently it was supposed to be a prototype for the starfighters used in "Buck Rogers". As to it's film history, wouldn't surprise me that Glen Larson would have recycled some film model prototypes from BSG for the Buck Rogers series... just makes good sense!

Thanks for the information and it looks like an interesting build! Later! OL JR :)

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews..._fighter.shtml

Thanks.

At the time, i did not know it was a buck rogers model that i was copying.
was a bit worried about having the two motors so far apart but wso far it has flown without fault, although it does twist and roll on the way up.
will be following this thread with some interest.
Ray King built a better one than me that used 24mm motors.

Thanks.

At the time, i did not know it was a buck rogers model that i was copying.
was a bit worried about having the two motors so far apart but wso far it has flown without fault, although it does twist and roll on the way up.
will be following this thread with some interest.
Ray King built a better one than me that used 24mm motors.

Matt,
I was hoping you would chime in. I could use a little more info than what is on EMRR. Got any more build pic's?

Daniel

Question about the stability...

With those forward canards SO far forward, how's the stability look on this thing??

Even the Centuri BR Starfighter had an extra fiber 'fin' on the aft 'engine nacelles' sticking straight up to improve the stability... They probably figured that the two ~45 degree lower fins paired with the two delta 'winglets' might not provide enough stability, especially in a 'pitch down' condition in flight where the two underslung fins might not be getting enough 'clean air' for stability?? The two additional fins were 'on top' and 90 degrees to the winglets. Adding a pair of large swept forward canards would REALLY look to screw up the works stability-wise, IMHO...

Just thinkin' out loud... :) OL JR :)

Matt,
I was hoping you would chime in. I could use a little more info than what is on EMRR. Got any more build pic's?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

sorry, that's about it, the EMRR review has all the pictures.

A few pointers on my quite undetailed rocket.

There's not much finage on the up down axis, apart from one set of fins that are about 15 degrees pitched down.

The central board was attached below the centre line of the two Body tubes,
this was because i reckoned the curved canopy on top of the board would create lift under thrust and pull the rocket over, with the board being lowered and the set of lower fins, i figured the two would cancel each other out, which given how straight it flew turned out to be correct.

i added alot of clay into the two nosecones to help with stability, forward fins and two motors out back were not helping cg/cp relations, this robbed alot of altitude, as expected.

Matt,

Did you detach the tailcones(Bell housings) to fly your Thunderfighter?
If so, I'm planning to use the tailcones as the rocket motors motor mount, which should lower(?) the CG on the body meaning less nose weight.

OL JR,

I may not be use the canards, but I do want to use the vertical stabilizers(fin/rudders) to give that aircraft look. I always thought it should have a fin/rudder if it were to fly in an atmosphere.

Matt,

Did you detach the tailcones(Bell housings) to fly your Thunderfighter?
If so, I'm planning to use the tailcones as the rocket motors motor mount, which should lower(?) the CG on the body meaning less nose weight.

Yes, i made them removable, i had thought about using them as the motor mount, but that lowers the CG too much, which would mean even more nose weight. (CG needs to be ahead of CP).

More parts, more pic's.
I completed the second motor/engine nozzle and both wings last night,
coincedently, while watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
I have both nose cones and the cockpit to complete.

Thunderfighter 003.JPG

Thunderfighter 004.JPG

Looking really nice.
Went to a launch today and as i was loading up the car i thought about the starfighter and packed mine to go fly. unfortunately i crack a fin in the car:(
i'll repair and fly it at a MRC launch next sunday.
Can't wait to see your rocket finished and with that a important launch photo.

A little more of my build.
I ran into a minor problem because of the lack of detailed instructions.
I overcame and persevered!

Thunderfighter 004.JPG

Thunderfighter 005.JPG

Thunderfighter 006.JPG

I have bee working on the nose cones using the #110 paper. I'm having a hard time rolling the paper to that narrow of a cone. I've tried using photo paper with the same results. It is the cutouts for the laser guns that are making it hard to stay conical.
I'm gonna take a break for a while and look for some different material to make the nose cones, short of using PNC.

I have bee working on the nose cones using the #110 paper. I'm having a hard time rolling the paper to that narrow of a cone. I've tried using photo paper with the same results. It is the cutouts for the laser guns that are making it hard to stay conical.
I'm gonna take a break for a while and look for some different material to make the nose cones, short of using PNC.
Something else you can do is roll the cones first, and then add the laser cannons.

I did all that and more.
I finally gave up and just went with what I had on the #110 cardstock.
It looks like crap close up, but who cares.
Anyway, it's finished. I need to attach a few fiddley bits and make the fin/rudders as soon as I get them.

Thunderfighter 004.JPG

That looks really good, but be careful of the first rule of rocketry:

If you increase the beauty, finish, individuality, rarity of a rocket, the chances of a CATO, lawn dart, tree landing increases but the same amount.

Last edited:
It looks great to me now. I see you plan to make it look even greater. That's the only reason why I am being patient and waiting to ask you about letting me put it in the gallery.

i was too busy watching erin gray in her spandex to notice any rockets on buck rogers!

i was too busy watching erin gray in her spandex to notice any rockets on buck rogers!

WHAT!!!!!

you were more interested in girls than rockets, the rest of us rockets geeks shun you.:blush:

thank you erin gray you provided memories you cant even begin to understand!

Hi Dan,

Think your rocket is looking good, just sent you pics of mine so you can see how much better yours is!

Thank you Matt.

I'm impressed with your Thunderfighter especially since all you had was a picture to guide you.

Thank you for the pic's.

Daniel

It looks GREAT to me!
I've got a copy of that paper model from the same German site in my 'STASH".This wil be an interesting post for me to also keep an eye on, as I was wondering the same thing... WILL IT FLY!?
HEY- and any paper model that someone puts on the web for free, and actually assembled...is great model! The majority f them just end up in someones 'STASH', (major guilty!), and never get built. Most of the artist/designers love getting pics of their built models. ;)

btw- Where did you see the old Buck Rogers series? That was one of my fav's as kid! (even had a bunch of the toys, and I still remember drooling over the model rockets at the hobby store that Mom always said "NO" to me getting). :D

Eric:)

PS... Regarding my thoughts on Erin Grey..back then? Who wants to catch a case of GIRL COOTIES!!??!!

Last edited:
Back