Estes - Wizard (#1292) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my Wizard!
Somebody was selling them on Ebay for a good buy it now price, I picked up four kits and built two.

E Wizard 23.jpg E Wizard 24.jpg

well, not double-wide, more like double-length. This is two Wizard body tubes joined together with the little coupler that is used to slide the engine mount ring into position. I should have made an ejection baffle with it. I added a little weight to the nose based on the cardboard cutout test. This has some battle damage, not from flight but from rough handling by the troops, ie the Cub Scout Pack. These fins have been reattached a few times. It looked good when I first built it as the stock kit. The next year we got another kit, so I decided to add on the extra tube for this Wizard Mark Deux. Old classic paint scheme, new fancy-pants paint scheme, this is a fun flier either way, haven't lost it yet. These are always a big hit with the Cub Scout Pack every year.

wizard.jpg

"You're a Wizard, Harry!"

This is a mostly run-of-the-mill Estes Wizard. The only major differences are a Kevlar/elastic hybrid shock cord, modified nose cone to partially house a Jolly Logic AltimeterTwo altimeter and a thust ring that's much further up the rocket to make use of my removable baffle system.

DSC_0003 resized.jpg

Here's my retro or vintage Estes Wizard. It's a shelf queen, although a pretty badly painted one. It's not flightworthy, but can easily be made so in about 60 minutes. I'm still learning how to do the perfect paint job with rattle cans; I still have a long way to go.

A very special thanks to @Patternflyer for the decals!

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Hey MH! Of course I’m a bit biased, but I think it came out fantastic!!! To use your own words, it’ll never be “perfect”, but you definitely surpassed “good enough”. I’d be proud to have that one on my shelf. Great job!!!!

Hey MH! Of course I’m a bit biased, but I think it came out fantastic!!! To use your own words, it’ll never be “perfect”, but you definitely surpassed “good enough”. I’d be proud to have that one on my shelf. Great job!!!!
Thank you for the kind words! I definitely learned a lot with this build and I'll apply those "lessons" to me retro Yankee build soon.

Back