Estes - (Astron) Ranger (K-6 or #1206) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishtech

Reaction score
This is now called a BS(bit shorter) Big Bertha after having to remove 2 1/2" after a lawn dart flight.
This has to be my favorite rocket to launch.

10312010 027.jpg

Here is my Bertha on a D12 and an E9. Lost the upper when it took off at 45 degrees. Next build will have a 1/4" lug and a 5ft rod!!! (instead of 3/16" and 4ft)

10.05.08 (2).jpg

Here is mine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics of my scratch Bigger Bertha built for the Cesroni 6 grain 24mm white long burn. Glassed/epoxy 3/16th" balsa fins. BT Super glued saturated from the inside. The whole thing painted with Aeropoxy lay up resin from Giant Leap.

The other bird is a way cool kit from Advance Rocketry Group called Sky Probe. The probe is for testing some altimeters, and to get rid of the many smaller 29mm reloads I have. This model takes me back to Centuri Hustler days, but with a bit more punch. I think for the money this will be one of my favorite models. Foam resin nosecone and transition. Birch ply fins.

Pics of my scratch Bigger Bertha built for the Cesroni 6 grain 24mm white long burn. Glassed/epoxy 3/16th" balsa fins. BT Super glued saturated from the inside. The whole thing painted with Aeropoxy lay up resin from Giant Leap.

The other bird is a way cool kit from Advance Rocketry Group called Sky Probe. The probe is for testing some altimeters, and to get rid of the many smaller 29mm reloads I have. This model takes me back to Centuri Hustler days, but with a bit more punch. I think for the money this will be one of my favorite models. Foam resin nosecone and transition. Birch ply fins.

One more pic

Even tho this one is not specifically named "Big Bertha" I think it fits in with the spirit of the gallery. Big Bubba, indeed!

Even tho this one is not specifically named "Big Bertha" I think it fits in with the spirit of the gallery. Big Bubba, indeed!

If you look closely, after a few minutes you'll see a rocket in that photo.

======================
Alternate caption: "Can you say 'Membership Drive'?".

Last edited:

I only get bugs stuck to my rockets when I paint 'em.

Last edited:
Back in the day the Big Bertha wasn't on my radar for some reason. Closest thing was a Scratch built Ranger 3 18mm motor cluster from the early 70's.
Later a Super Big Bertha entered the new fleet and was extended to hold 43 bail-out tiny parachutists for a club fun contest.

Even later a scratch built Big Bertha's set up to take 18 to 24 mm motor with a twist-lock motor mount and a light weight Fun Contest blue model rounded out the Standard size models.
Great size and fun flying rockets.

Ranger-1-sm_3 - A8-3 Lift-off 1st Flight b&w_11-24-72.jpg

073b-p1_Extended Bertha & Clamshell_07-04-05.jpg

154b1_Big Blue Bertha LtWt_05-20-95.jpg

Here are three from my Bertha collection:
DSC00003.jpg

Ranger
DSC00194.jpg

The theme of our club launch last Feb. was "Big Bertha Drag Race". Everyone bring out your BB's and line them up! Knowing I needed to build something not only kooky but also competitive, I came up with this:
The "Pig Bertha". Flies awesome on 24mm composites.

122.jpg

Here are a couple of our Bertha's. The one that the little rock star is holding is our first (and favorite) Bertha. It and a similarly painted baby Bertha are the first two rockets we always put into the air at a launch. The other is a heavy duty Super Bertha taking to the sky on an H-somthin'-or-other. That same flight suffered a bulk head failure (due to too much black powder in ejection charge) and resulted in my avatar picture. However, she is back in commission and better than ever.

2.6 Bertha.jpg

Well, it may not be a Bertha - close though!

It's built from Quest parts and has a two engine cluster.
The paint is based on the 1969 Estes catalog picture.
It has flown well with B6-4s and C6-5s.

Big Girtha F 002_WEB[1].jpg

BB69estes[1].jpg

Well, it may not be a Bertha - close though!

It's built from Quest parts and has a two engine cluster.
The paint is based on the 1969 Estes catalog picture.
It has flown well with B6-4s and C6-5s.

Close enough!

I always liked that scheme and I have the decals for it around here someplace. I just need to get around to building a BB. I've never built one.:blush:

I added a Bertha to my collection, Puffy Letters. Flew it today, perfect flight! Decals provided by Excelsior.

EstesBigBertha_PuffyLetters.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Last edited:
If you look closely, after a few minutes you'll see a rocket in that photo.

======================
Alternate caption: "Can you say 'Membership Drive'?".

A rocket....where.....ooooh there it is

this is mine, I'm calling it 'Dee Nation'. I decided to use a 24mm mmt instead of the stock 18mm.

bertha24 001.jpg

I feel left out. I haven't had a Big Bertha since the 70's! The closest I have right now is my scratch built "My Feminine Side", which is based on the Big Betty, but with a 24mm motor mount.

fem_side1.jpg

fem_side2.jpg

fem_side3.jpg

decal3.jpg

Thank you. it did let me 'recharge' while working on my L1 bird :). my plan is to start with a d12 and work my way up to an F24...
rex

Thank you. it did let me 'recharge' while working on my L1 bird :). my plan is to start with a d12 and work my way up to an F24...
rex

Try an E6.

It's my single favorite motor in a Bertha. It's like the Energizer bunny - it just keeps going, and going, and going, and going...

I changed the appearance of my Big Bertha a little bit. I have so many I decided to make this one a little bit pointier.

**edit** Added pictures of my 2 classic painted B.B.'s and 1 current paint scheme. (and 1 naked B.B. stuck on a pole)

Big Bertha 1.jpg

DSC03232.jpg

DSC03228.jpg

DSC03105.jpg

Last edited:
Back