SCALE - Aerobee Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
next PMC was a 1:40th Aerobee-HI
This model was just for fun and flys reasonably well for a Plastic Brick. it does not stage or use the launcher trailer for flight. It's just a fun build Micro PMC.

Post copied with permission

MM 224a1-sm_AeroBee-Hi 40th PMC_08-08-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another of those early 1990-91 NorthCoast Rockety (Matte Steel) HP models coverted to 3-D12 clustered BP flying was the Aerobee-Hi Test. another 2.6" dia heavy tube semi-Scale of the famous NRL research sounding rocket.

This one has special meaning for me as my parents (both mom and Dad) were directly involved with this Naval Research Lab project. While this model isn't a very close scale model, it was good enough in most respects to make them both smile.
A really decent flying model on 3 D12-5 or on still air days can go with -7's:)

Post moved to extant thread

092a-sm_Aerobee-Hi test 3D_12-29-90.jpg

092c4-sm_Aerobee-Hi test_under canopy_06-11-94.jpg

This is semi-scale for the Aerobee-Hi. I built a booster too. I'm not sure if the combination would be stable, or if it would even be stable as a single stage, but I never intended to fly it anyway. The toughest styling element of the Aerobee is the very long nose cone. In the old days Estes made a rubber nose cone that was long enough, and they made a parallel wound tube thicker than their other tubes that this cone fit, called the BT30. I inherited a cone and BT30 from my brother in law and built the rocket to match. These parts probably date back almost to 1960.

IMG_2124b.jpg

This is semi-scale for the Aerobee-Hi. I built a booster too. I'm not sure if the combination would be stable, or if it would even be stable as a single stage, but I never intended to fly it anyway. The toughest styling element of the Aerobee is the very long nose cone. In the old days Estes made a rubber nose cone that was long enough, and they made a parallel wound tube thicker than their other tubes that this cone fit, called the BT30. I inherited a cone and BT30 from my brother in law and built the rocket to match. These parts probably date back almost to 1960.

In the old days, these were the parts of the original Model Missiles Incorporated Aerobee-Hi kit, the first model rocket kit ever manufactured. When MMI went out of biz, Vern Estes bought the parts -- or maybe they still owed him for making motors for them -- and sold them as BT-40. BT-30 was a slightly smaller tube that Vern started his kit biz with. His wife Gleda rolled the initial batches herself.

So you've got a slightly valuable rocket there. Original MMI kits go for $300-400 today! Yours would be a worth a lot less than that, since it is built, and wasn't built from a kit, but a lot of people would hate to hear that you flew it and lost it. :)

Is this an Estes or an MMI or something else?

Is this an Estes or an MMI or something else?

I thought the parts came from Estes, but I got them from my brother in law's stash of parts. I got them somewhere around 1966 and guessed that he got them around 4 or 5 years before that.

I thought the parts came from Estes, but I got them from my brother in law's stash of parts. I got them somewhere around 1966 and guessed that he got them around 4 or 5 years before that.

OK. I'll leave it as a scratch.

Thanks for the contributions.

A very nicely done re-issue of G. Harry Stines MMI Aerobee-Hi kit was one of the special products sold at Naram-50.
Makes a very nice flying "Days of OLD" replica of an important model (and Real Vehicle) from the Beginning of both Model and Real rocketry:)

465-a-sm_Aerobee-Hi 14th Semi(Model Missile Inc)_04-04-07.jpg

The Semroc version. Fun build has flown a couple of times on A8-5s. My guess is it would fly out of sight on a C6.

Picture is a little out of focus.

AeroBeeHi4.jpg

AeroBeeHi1.jpg

Sorry John, I should have mentioned that it is the Retro-Repro of Model Missiles Aerobee-Hi made by Semroc. An excellent kit of typically high quality.

Welcome to the Scale Aerobee Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Aerobee Sounding Rocket and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Cosmodrome: Aerobee Hi:
Estes: Aerobee 300: K-17 or #1217
MMI: Aerobee Hi: #001-B
MMI: Aerobee Hi Deluxe: #001-A
MMI: Aerobee Hi Economy: #001-C
North Coast Rocketry: Aerobee Hi-Test: K-5
Rocket R&D: Aerobee Hi:
Semroc: Aerobee Hi: KV-2
Thrustline: Aerobee 300: TACL-013

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

American sounding rocket. In late 1945 James Van Allen was assigned by John Hopkins University to survey sounding rocket requirements for upper atmosphere research. The V-2 was found to be too heavy and complex. In 1946 Van Allen decided that what was needed was a small rocket, derived from the Aerojet Wac Corporal and the Bumblebee missile developed under a US Navy program. This combination of an Aerojet booster and a Bumblebee second stage was dubbed the Aerobee. Aerobees were launched for 53 m tall launch towers to provide the necessary stability until enough speed had been gained for the fins to be effective in controlling the rocket. Launch towers were built at White Sands, Fort Churchill, Wallops Island, and aboard the research ship USN Norton Sound. The Aerobee could take 68 kg to 130 km altitude.

Last edited:
Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi Basic Information.

cosmodrome.gif
Cosmodrome Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Aerobee Hi Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Mike Kruger

Type: Scale, 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x29mm/1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 61.3"
Diameter: 2.63"
Span:
Weight: 27 oz

Mfg. Description: Balsa nose cones (2)
Two color self-adhesive decals
24" and 18" rip-stop nylon parachutes
F through H power
Through-the-wall fins
Motor retension on both stages (Cosmodrome 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-2002%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2002 Web Ad
cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-2003%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2003 Web Ad
cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-2008%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2008 Web Ad

cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-facecard.jpg
cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-facecard%202.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

cosmodrome-aerobee%20hi-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
North Coast Rocketry Aerobee Hi-Test (K-5) Basic Information.

ncr.gif
North Coast Rocketry (NCR)

MODEL NAME: Aerobee Hi-Test Also known as:

NUMBER: K-5

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 17 oz

Mfg. Description: The NCR AEROBEE HI-TEST is a scaled up version of the Model Missiles, Inc. (MMI) model rocket kit that was made famous during the late 1950's. This "grown-up" version should really light smiles on the faces of "old timers" around your flying field! (NCR 1986 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

ncr-aerobee%20hi%20test%20k5-1986%20cat%20livery.jpg
NCR 1986 Catalog
ncr-aerobee%20hi%20test%20k5-1987%20cat%20livery.jpg
NCR 1987 Catalog
ncr-aerobee%20hi%20test%20k5-1987%20cat%20cover.jpg
NCR 1987 Catalog Cover

ncr-aerobee%20hi%20test%20k5-1989%20cat%20livery.jpg
NCR 1989 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Aerobee Hi (KV-2) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

NUMBER: KV-2

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 14.0" (35.6 cm)
Diameter: 0.825" (2.1 cm)
Span: 3.2" (8.1 cm)
Weight: 0.8 oz (22.7 g)

Mfg. Description: 1958 Retro Repro (Semroc 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-aerobee%20hi%20kv2-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Model Missiles Inc. Aerobee Hi (#001-B) Basic Information.

model%20missiles%20small.gif
Model Missiles, Inc. (MMI)

NUMBER: #001-B

Introduced: 1958
Final Year: 1961
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Model Missiles Inc. Aerobee Hi Deluxe (#001-A) Basic Information.

MODEL NAME: Aerobee Hi Deluxe Also known as:

NUMBER: #001-A

Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Model Missiles Inc. Aerobee Hi Economy (#001-C) Basic Information.

MODEL NAME: Aerobee Hi Economy Also known as:

NUMBER: #001-C

Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Thrustline Aerobee 300 (TACL-013) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Aerobee 300 Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-013

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Clone
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Advertising Liveries

thrustline-aerobee%20300%20tacl013-2008%20web%20livery.jpg
Thrustline 2008 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Paint Question:

I'm just finishing a AAA Model Aviation Fuels Aerobee-Hi.

The decals are for NRL-41.

I've seen photos for several "rounds" of this rocket, but not specifically NRL-41.

Is the MMI / Semroc paint job fairly accurate? That is, the nose cone and the top bit of body tube are silver?

I've seen photos (I think of NRL-42) where the top bit of body tube is white.

The kit instructions are amusingly broad: "paint the body white, silver, or yellow".

Here are some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefan_e_jones/7219569432/in/photostream

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefan_e_jones/7219569538/in/photostream/

Thrustline also intended an Aerobee Hi 2-stager.

I was lucky enough to get the beta test model. But then 'life' took over.

The booster required a slight redesign to alter the weight, so that it woudl tumble. Glide more like... The original came in ballistic & core sampled! the CAD dwg shows the motor moved rearward.. (Rockets in CAD are soo much fun!!)

I've flown it a few times..

aerobee7.jpg

aerobee hi-Layout1.jpg

brian launch 17.JPG

brian launch 16.JPG

Estes Aerobee 300 (K-17 or #1217) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Aerobee 300 Also known as:

NUMBER: K-17 or #1217

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1978
Designer:

Length: 20"
Diameter: 1"
Span:
Weight: 0.85 oz

Mfg. Description: Easy to build scale model of a great sounding rocket. Gives top performance in flight after flight. Features parachute recovery for gentle landings, payload section for small specimens. Kit is complete with all parts and easy-to-follow instructions (but no engines). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

=====

1967 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog
1969 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog
1970 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog

Advertising Liveries

estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-1966%20cat.jpg
1966 Catalog
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-1970%20cat.jpg
1970 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-face%200.jpg
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-face%200a.jpg
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-face%201.jpg
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-face%202.jpg
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-face%203.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-instr%201.jpg
estes-aerobee%20300%20k17-instr%202.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Rocket R&D Aerobee HI Basic Information.

rocket%20rnd%20trf.gif
Rocket R&D

MODEL NAME: Aerobee HI Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 75"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

rocket%20rnd-aerobee%20hi-2013%20web%20performance.jpg
2013 Performance Hobbies Web Ad

Face Card(s)

rocket%20rnd-aerobee%20hi-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Hello all from Alaska

Selling a super rare Northcoast Rocketry BOMARC, unopened still plastic wrapped. Super rare and desirable. Taking offers over $200.00. Any interest? Pics to come soon but away at work till the first.

Another of those early 1990-91 NorthCoast Rockety (Matte Steel) HP models coverted to 3-D12 clustered BP flying was the Aerobee-Hi Test. another 2.6" dia heavy tube semi-Scale of the famous NRL research sounding rocket.

This one has special meaning for me as my parents (both mom and Dad) were directly involved with this Naval Research Lab project. While this model isn't a very close scale model, it was good enough in most respects to make them both smile.
A really decent flying model on 3 D12-5 or on still air days can go with -7's:)

Post moved to extant thread

View attachment 48137

View attachment 48140
I have 3 of them still flyable from the late 80s. The first one painted just like yours was lost on its Maiden flight. "Welcome to Mid Power "I said . It went in the clouds and never saw it appear. Then I bought another one. One of my favorites. Nice photos you took.aero  big.jpg1988 aerobee.jpg1988 aerobee.jpgaero  big.jpg

View attachment 48485
Awesome.

Model Missiles Inc. Aerobee Hi (#001-B) Basic Information.

NUMBER: #001-B

Stumbled across this in the "today's posts" list over on YORF:
https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=268384&postcount=2
Lots of useful info in that thread (based on discussing the Semroc kit). But I found in particular this interesting information on the MMI kit:
The MMI Aerobee-Hi was the first mass produced model rocket by Orville Carlisle and G. Harry Stine in 1958.

That sent me down the rabbit hole and I found that Stine himself donated both built
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/rocket-flying-model-aerobee-hi/nasm_A19930855000and unbuilt
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/rocket-flying-model-kit-aerobee-hi/nasm_A19850057000kits to the Smithsonian. Pics available for download at the above link.

I poked around erockets, and the decal sheet, fin sheet, nose cone and body tube for the Semroc kit are all available there as of today.

Back