LOC BB-81 phoenix kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb5wid

Reaction score
My L-3 project just arrived. I ordered the LOC BB-81 phoenix kit on Monday. LOC had to put a kit together since they did not have one ready to ship. They shipped it on Wednesday. It was scheduled to be delivered on Friday. But, due to weather in Dallas FedEx was not delivering. They just delivered it (on Superbowl Sunday). I will be reviewing the kit as I build it and document everything as I go. I plan to glass the tubes and fin. I might even make a mold to make a fiberglass nosecone
The kit is a bare-bones without recovery or instructions. The rocket will stand just over 6 ½ ft (80 Inches) when finished. It is a 5.38 diameter with a 75mm motor mount.

LOC Precision BB-81 Phoenix “Experimental Bare Bones” Kit
Parts included:
5:1 Oglive Plastic Nosecone
40 Inch X 5.38 Inch Lower Body Tube
20 Inch X 5.38 Inch Upper Body Tube
2 center rings
1 center ring with recovery mount hole
4 Upper Fins
4 Lower fins
75mm x 34 inch Motor tube
EB-5.38 Electronics Bay
Letter from LOC

Items not included:
Launch buttons/tube
Recovery system
Decals
Motor Retaining system.
glues, paint, …

In the meantime, I grabbed the old Estes instructions to get an idea on the decals, decal placement, and fin shapes.

BB-81.jpg

kind of a strange place for a level three build thread?

maybe build it in the HPR section, then post the review afterward.

JMTC

I will do that. I just wanted to put the initial specs in the review section first.

Really looks like a good value at $150 (if that is the correct price as on the LOC website)--look forward to the build.

Sounds insane, huh? It should be a very cool flight. My L3 is only 8 feet tall and 5.5 inches in diameter as well. I am hoping for a June flight for that.

Sorry I have not gotten back sooner, I have been swamped with work.

I have fiberglassed the body tubes. I used Fiberglass sock (Real fiberglass not the substitute), US Composite thin epoxy. I used 7" heatshrink instead of the vacume method, It gave a 80% smooth finish, some wrinkles I had to sand out. I will try and post pictures this weekend.

I still have to mount the MM tube, Cut additional rings to mount the recovery system, Finish sanding the fins and get them ready to glass and Make a form out of the nose cone to recreate it in Fiberglass. (I dont like the plastic one as it is difficult to paint)

As for the questions:
I have not seen a Rocksim file for this bird yet. I will probibly have to do one myself.

Yes I will be putting an "M" motor in it. (Small "M" such as an M1230 or M1300)

Primairy electronics will be the Telemetrum. I have not decided on the secondary electronics.

It has been a long while and I haven't seen anything else on this project. I did get the June flight in and it was successful. It weighed 28 pounds on the pad and went to an average of 8743 feet on the M1500 Mojave Green. If you get the NERRF 7 DVD, it is shown there under the Saturday chapter. I would like to see more on this build and see some pictures. Here are a couple of pictures of my L3 taken by Neil McGilvray. The 3rd picture was taken by my fiance.

Level 3 Liftoff.jpg

Level 3 Closeup.jpg

Level 3 Photo.jpg

See this thread has stalled; pity--because I was giving this kit the eye as a potential winter build...

Later!

--Coop

See this thread has stalled; pity--because I was giving this kit the eye as a potential winter build...

Later!

--Coop

Too bad indeed ,as i was looking forward to a build thread.:(

Paul T

I wouldn't count one of those out of the realm of possibility just yet. Am still torn between the Madcow 4" and the LOC.

My reservations on the LOC are that it's a bare-bones kit and thus will need a bunch of extras to make it flight-capable. I suppose for most people inclined to build a large scale-model this wouldn't be a problem, however, with me, it's not like I have a main chute for this just laying around or a spare electronics set up I feel like slapping together for this. Having never messed with electronics as of yet --all engine-deploy, all the time thus far-- this is kind of daunting for me. The main problem, however, is finances rather than being iffy on the electronic bit (sure I could figure that out given time and the pieces to play with). Quick mental budget for this kit is going to be $600-$700 for liftoff without trying too hard.

Of course, this is also kind of the attraction... one of those, "Well, if I can pull THIS off..." However, it's not a strong enough rationalization... (yet) to commit to this endeavor at this time.

But it's definitely entering the "want" section of the brain, which tends to promote rationalization making...

Later!

--Coop

Looking at the Loc 5.5" kit ,I think I would be more apt tp go with the Polecat kit in the same diameter.

The LOC kit just does not look right scale wise.The BT is just way too long compared to the fin placement and size and nosecone just too long of an ogive .

But hey ,I suppose it is 50 bucks less than the PoleCat @ $199.00 ,but keep in mind ,it has the propper shaped nosecone made of fiberglass ,pre-fiberglassed BT and the fin leading edges are pre-bevelled/shaped.

The Polecat kit comes with 54mm MMT versus 75mm and does not come DD ready ,although not hard to make the switch.

Either way ,I`d like to see a build of both these kits.

Paul T

I'm okay with 54mm, and after doing a bit of digging, the polecat does seem like the better kit in the same size...

Later!

--Coop

The LOC version is longer due to stability. You can cut it shorter to make it more scale like; but stability may be a concern. I wish I still had my Phoenix. I loved that rocket.

Ordered this kit from Barry last week. As if I need another unbuilt kit lying around!?! But I did already have the decal set from Stickershock that I got on one of Mark's buy-one-get-one-free deals, so hey, why not?

Well, got it yesterday... I am a LOC fan, and am happy to have this in my possession. I made sure with Barry that I got the more scale accurate "short" 5.5" nosecone. Overall this rocket is an interesting combo of sport scale and fairly high performance with the 30", 75mm motor mount.

005 (646x1280).jpg

Phoenix_v2.jpg

Attachments

• Phoenix_v2.rkt
    81.4 KB · Views: 80
Well, got it yesterday... I am a LOC fan, and am happy to have this in my possession. I made sure with Barry that I got the more scale accurate "short" 5.5" nosecone. Overall this rocket is an interesting combo of sport scale and fairly high performance with the 30", 75mm motor mount.

So Dixon..
I saw your Rocksim files. Very nice. :)

What all have you flown it on? Are you the one who ended up glassing it w/heat shrink?

How about some pictures and flight reports. You said you're able to get a "short" version of the nosecone for it? You think if one were to chop the BT down a bit and stabilize with some nose weight that it would leave you with plenty of chute space?

Tweeks
TRA#11056
Founder of www.nrvr.org (Blacksburg VA)

So Dixon..
I saw your Rocksim files. Very nice. :)

What all have you flown it on? Are you the one who ended up glassing it w/heat shrink?

How about some pictures and flight reports. You said you're able to get a "short" version of the nosecone for it? You think if one were to chop the BT down a bit and stabilize with some nose weight that it would leave you with plenty of chute space?

Tweeks
TRA#11056
Founder of www.nrvr.org (Blacksburg VA)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?37510-LOC-Precision-5-5-quot-Phoenix-Missile-Build

Flown on L's and M's--I don't really keep track.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...RFest-19-Info-and-Updates&p=607044#post607044

Back