Fruity Chutes testing new Pull Down Apex (toroidal) design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eengelgau

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - as promised in another thread post last weekend I tested a prototype for a new design that some would call a Rocket Rage clone. The common industry term for this type of chute is a pull down apex. This simply means that the top crown of the chute is via extra shroud lines pulled down inside the canopy via an additional tether. It forms a shape called a toroid that is cut in half - think doughnuts ;).

After reading the thread about the Rocket Rage chutes and how much folks missed these, I decided now was the time to put this to the test and really find out how well this design performs. It's also been on my back burner for some time to make, plus there a really cool design. This first prototype is based closely on our elliptical design with some small tweaking in the crown area to allow it to flair and be pulled down. My wife was kind enough to sew in in a few days and by Wednesday I have the "first draft". This has the same 20% spill hole opening (4% area). But due to fudging the patter a bit too much the pull-down part was too deep. So I chopped off some (7.5") making the opening more like 25% (6% area) and reattached the top shroud line and everything was looking good, the shape was nice and tight with no wrinkled areas. The spill hole is a bit large, but otherwise it looked great.

Now for the test.

-----

For my test rocket I have my ultimate short fat rocket called Mag Max. It is only 4' tall but 7.5" in diameter. It's based in a chopped off Pole Cat Patriot, and I mean really chopped down! To make it stable it needs 3lbs of lead in the nose. Loaded this rocket is over 17lbs on the pad - perfect for chute testing because it weighs a boat load and stays low so I can see the whole flight. I have a MAWD in it and use a Tender Descender tether for dual deployment (why not!).

Friday I pre-prepped the rocket and loaded up the chute into a 5.5"D x 7"L deployment bag (fits very easy). When using tethered dual deploy you must use a bag for your main. Saturday I complete me assembly and built a J540R motor. I weighed the beast - 17.2lbs - perfect! I made out a flight card, checked it in and lugged it our to the HP pads.

Here are the pics of the flight and chute in action:

UFC-72-02_800.jpg

Here is Mag Max taking off the pad (all photos courtesy Martin Hall). It was a gorgeous day, very little wind. The rocket went about 2K feet. The nose cone popped off at apogee as expected and a small 18" drogue came out tethered to the main d-bag and the airframe. The rocket descended at about 60fps to 500' where the tether released.

UFC-72-05.jpg

This shows the main still in the bag extending the shroud lines. Moments later the main popped open and the rocket abruptly slowed down.

UFC-72-11.jpg

Here is a great shot of the prototype showing details of the chute and the inner shroud lines, and pull down tether. The canopy looks really nice considering the pattern was a bit of a WAG.

UFC-72-12.jpg

Here is a side view showing the low profile characteristic of these chutes. It's this abrupt shape on top that increases the chutes efficiency.

The rocket landed a short ways away.

---------

So the big question is - what is the Cd of the chute? All I need is two variables - the exact descent weight of the rocket and the projected area of the chute. Before cleaning I weighed the rocket again and it weighed 15.53lbs - so that is the descent weight. The projected area after factoring out the spill hole is 27.14 sq'. The altitude at launch is about 300' or so, I'll consider that the same as sea level.

Results - the Cd is an astounding 2.13 - :surprised:

I ran a similar test last year using my 84" stars and stripes chute and the 72" toroidal design outperformed the 84" chute.

---------

Next steps:

I have a new pattern generator ready that generates the sections mathematically creating an ideal shape. This design will be similar overall but have a more refined canopy shape that uses about 9% less fabric than our current ellipsoid design. The spill hole is 2% of the area increasing the efficiency even more.

I expect to test a new design next month. I'll test a 60" chute in my Talon 4 on a K700 should go 6500'. I have a HCX and MAWD to get two data sets to compare. If it performs as expected I should have a Cd that is just a bit higher. This will be considered V1 of the production design. After verification we'll sort out pricing of the chutes (they take more time to make). However the performance is higher and you can pack higher performance into a smaller space.

I expect we'll start to offer these around April / June time frame. They will only be available from 60" - 198" sizes.

Anyone interested in purchasing our new chute please use the Contact Us form on Fruity Chutes - https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/index.php?main_page=contact_us.

Be sure to mention you are interested in the up-coming toroidal chute (official product name announcement coming at later time). I'll notify you directly once the product is ready for release... We will take pre-orders about a month in advance for a discount TBA.

Feel free to let your friends know as well it's coming.

Feed back welcome!

Last edited:
So ready to get my order in. Glad the testing went great and looking forward to the results of future flights.

Nice testing! You'll find (just like Rocket Rage chutes) that you don't need as many gores. I tested from 16 gores on a 96" toroid down to 6 gores. I settled on just a few more than 6. The performance only varied from 16 gores to 6 gores by 1 ft/s. Time can be money, and sewing 6 gores is faster than 16, and attaching less shroud lines is faster. You'll save a lot in material by being able to optimize the shape so it uses the fabric *very* efficiently.

Did you happen to get the density altitude and a descent rate graph? What what the Cd and A(area of canopy, not projected area)?

Edward

Gene,

A side question... Was the d-bag held by the tether inside the airframe until release? If so, did your tether sit behind the fore bulkplate, or was it in the airframe along with/adjacent to the d-bag open end?

-Tim

Hi Ed,

I settled on just a few more than 6

In order to offer the highest quality product possible we won't compromise the design by using fewer gores. We have a well established market already expecting product of comparable quality and strength. As our chutes get larger the additional gores result in a more refined shape, as well as the additional connection points increase the overall strength commensurate with the increased load handeling capability.

Basing Cd of canopy area is irrelevant. We will rate this chute like our ellipsoid designs which is based on projected area.

I'm not saying compromise the design. Before I stated that the difference between 16 gores (many) and 6 gores (few) was 1 ft/s. What I settled upon was only 1/8 ft/second slower than 16 gores.

In this small market people are looking for value. A 16 gore chute that costs 25% more and only performs 1 ft/s better isn't a better value than one with 8 gores that is 1/8 ft/second slower and costs 25% less. I think you'd have much better sales if you value engineer your products. Most people are not concerned about 1/8 ft/s but are concerned at a 25% cost increase.

Edward

Gene,

A side question... Was the d-bag held by the tether inside the airframe until release? If so, did your tether sit behind the fore bulkplate, or was it in the airframe along with/adjacent to the d-bag open end?

-Tim

In this case the tether was directly linked along side the deployment bag, between the main eye-bolt (on the forward bulk-head) and the top-loop on the d-bag. There is a lot of room inside a 7.5" AF!. But it stayed in the airframe. To keep the tether blowing apart from damaging the airframe I used a small Nomex sheath over the tether which we make for exactly this purpose. Here is our webpage with the products used, both the tether and Nomex sheaths:

https://www.fruitychutes.com/buyachute/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9.

It is a simple setup...

Ok, sign me up, how do I buy one?

Availability is not for a few more months, more testing needs to be done. But thanks for your support!

So let's start a list of folks interested...

Anyone interested in purchasing our new chute please use the Contact Us form on Fruity Chutes - https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/index.php?main_page=contact_us.

Be sure to mention you are interested in the up-coming toroidal chute (official product name announcement coming at later time). I'll notify you directly once the product is ready for release... We will take pre-orders about a month in advance for a discount TBA.

Feel free to let your friends know as well it's coming.

In this case the tether was directly linked along side the deployment bag, between the main eye-bolt (on the forward bulk-head) and the top-loop on the d-bag. There is a lot of room inside a 7.5" AF!. But it stayed in the airframe. To keep the tether blowing apart from damaging the airframe I used a small Nomex sheath over the tether which we make for exactly this purpose. Here is our webpage with the products used, both the tether and Nomex sheaths:

https://www.fruitychutes.com/buyachute/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9.

It is a simple setup...

Great! Thanks! I never thought to bag the tether.

I assume the MAWD was located within the fin can then?

It really comes down to performance of the chute. The Rocket Rage chutes were ideal because it was a smaller chute with a larger CD value. Which meant you could pack into a smaller space....

JD

It really comes down to performance of the chute. The Rocket Rage chutes were ideal because it was a smaller chute with a larger CD value. Which meant you could pack into a smaller space....JD

Hi - Exactly - that will be the case here. Per given chute size the load capability will be greater, but the packing volume will be comparable. As I get more data I'll better quantify the performance advantage.

Hi - Yes, lunar.org put's on the launch and it's east of Stockton CA about 25 mi. Very scenic place to launch for sure :)

Yes, I love Snow Ranch! I'm a LUNAR member and go to all the launches there. I was there last Saturday, but I don't remember seeing your rocket. Sorry I missed it!

Yes, I love Snow Ranch! I'm a LUNAR member and go to all the launches there. I was there last Saturday, but I don't remember seeing your rocket. Sorry I missed it!

Hi - I launched about 1:30PM I'm estimating. I had the really short fat rocket launched on a vivid AT redline motor.

The ranch is the best - really pretty and always a great day.

-G

Hi - I launched about 1:30PM I'm estimating. I had the really short fat rocket launched on a vivid AT redline motor.

The ranch is the best - really pretty and always a great day.

-G

I was there until 4. I don't know why I didn't see yours. Now I feel left out!

And I love the Ranch too. I always have a great time there!

I was there until 4. I don't know why I didn't see yours. Now I feel left out!

And I love the Ranch too. I always have a great time there!
I don't know how you missed it, Jim. The Mag Max is hyuuuuuge! From a distance it looked an awful lot like a upscaled Thumper Jr. Black body, green trim.

Do you remember when the two mentorless TARC teams stalled the mid-power pad for an hour or so? It was during that time that there was an announcement about the Mag Max demoing a new recovery technology. I remember seeing the launch somewhat later once the mid-power pad logjam was cleared and the HPR pads started boosting.

I don't know how you missed it, Jim. The Mag Max is hyuuuuuge! From a distance it looked an awful lot like a upscaled Thumper Jr. Black body, green trim.

Do you remember when the two mentorless TARC teams stalled the mid-power pad for an hour or so? It was during that time that there was an announcement about the Mag Max demoing a new recovery technology. I remember seeing the launch somewhat later once the mid-power pad logjam was cleared and the HPR pads started boosting.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Two chutes, one hole. I thought Wes took some photos of that flight, but I guess he didn't.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Two chutes, one hole. I thought Wes took some photos of that flight, but I guess he didn't.

Hi - So not two chutes - one chute that looked a lot like a colorful doughnut. The second chute was a little 18" drogue tetherd to the top of the chute.

Awesome looking chute Gene! Looking like these perform really well too!

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Keep us posted on the details!

Any updates or further results on test flights. I would be interested in seeing where the cds numbers are coming in at.

Hi all, thanks for asking... I can't make the Mar SR launch due to another commitment. I'm going to try and make the TCC launch Mar 19th (www.tripolicentralcalifornia.com) but I'm not certain I'll fly the current 72".

For sure I want to do another test at the April SR. For that I plan to have a new 60" chute made that should allow me to get a Cd under higher descent speed. It would have approximately the same performance as our 72" elliptical chute. I should then have enough performance data to predict the Cd across the product line. Then I can release the product on a limited basis.

Any updates or results from test flights. I am very excited about getting to a chance to upgrade my chute inventory.:D

Any updates or results from test flights. I am very excited about getting to a chance to upgrade my chute inventory.:D

Hi Jaz, everyone, I've had a lot of questions about when we'll have the new chute ready... We've gotten super busy lately since the new season is coming up quickly - were swamped with work. So I have not been able to do more testing. I'll be making a 60" and doing another test at Dairy Air at TCC in May (near Fresno CA).

I did loan out the chute to some buddies that were supposed to get me more data but the lower part of the rocket caught fire! The chute was fine and I got this spectacular photo:

IMG_1263_640.JPG

If you look closely you will see the fin can is on fire and ready to seperate!

Anyway we'll be announcing the release in June at the NAR NSL Launch at ROC Stock.

Back