Estes - Stormcaster / Storm Caster Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosecone

Reaction score
Didn't see a gallery for this one so I thought I'd start.

For the checkerboard I used the classic Damon Era Big Bertha decal from Excelsior Rocketry, and cut it into equal lengths with a razor blade. Then I applied the seperate decals in a staggard fashion.

FEATURES: Designed to fly off the Estes C11 engine, and will also fly on Estes D-series engines.

Flies up to 900 feet (274m) depending on chosen engine.
18" parachute recovery.
White cardboard body tubes.
White plastic nose cone.
Self-adhesive decals.
Estes' full 1 year warranty.
Detailed illustrated assembly and launch instructions.

Recommended Engines: C11-3, D12-5

SPECS: Length: 30.25" (76.8cm)
Diameter: 1.64" (41.6mm)
Weight: 2.9 oz. (80.8g)

lestt1301.jpg

StormCaster 1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Here's mine, with a more stock paint scheme. I like this little rocket, it's a good flyer.

stormcaster1.JPG

stormcaster2.JPG

stormcaster3.JPG

Great little rocket , I shoved a cluster into mine..I call it the "stormcluster".

stormclustermmt.jpg

stormcluster.jpg

Here's my Stormcaster. Stock color scheme but the decal goes the other from Stymye's.

Picture #1 is the archival record of the bird, Picture #2 is me (notice the hat) clipping on the leads, and Picture #3 is the Stormcaster descending under the chute.

Thinking about flying it either this weekend or next on an E30.

My Stormcaster is center-break with baffle and has flown on everything from C11-5's to F24's.

Stormcasterfly.jpg

It's nothing fancy. I used the stock coupler with three half moons to make up a zipperless baffle and recovery mounting point.

Aaaaahhh, the StormCaster. What a great rocket, even if just kitbashed, since it has a lot of useful parts. Jay R. and I built a matching pair of them (with coordinated / contrasting color schemes), scrambling the Estes decal letters to name them "Arbitrary" and "Capricious". (This was right after the AP lawsuit was decided.) We drag raced them at NSL 2009 on E15-4W (AP motors).

IMG_8070.jpg

Last edited:
Modified the motor mount to accept "E"'s
Super simple "kit" rocket

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• 100_4536.jpg
    100_4536.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_4537.jpg
    100_4537.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_4538.jpg
    100_4538.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Love the look and size of the Stormcaster, but could'nt get around those cartoonish decals. Normally I attept to replicate exactly as the facecard represents, but this time I went for something a bit more fitting for the kits' lines. Clean, straight-forward design, and much more aggressive in appearance from stock. Love those 3FNC kits!

ADMIRAL6-23-2011002.jpg

ADMIRAL6-23-2011003.jpg

ADMIRAL6-23-2011004.jpg

Here are my Stormcaster's. I love this rocket and have built a number of them. They fly great on E20-7's and E30-7's! Paint schemes are an homage to Ed Van Halen's guitars Bumblebee and Frankenstein, though I am much more of a Jimmy Page guy....hmmm, wonder if I can create a "double neck" Stormcaster?

Bumblebee 3.jpgFrankenstein.jpg

There are a number of YouTube videos on "How to paint a guitar like EVH Frankenstrat". It is a bit of a pain as it involves 2 or 3 coats of different color paint and a lot of masking tape. But it turned out to be a fun project for my daughter and I to do together.

Made an extended motor tube into a baffle.
This rocket seems to be a good canvas for lots of ideas.

DSCF1102_Small.jpg
IMG_3352_Small.jpg

The chrome rings are Auto Pinstripe Tape. Great stuff.

Back