Fliskits - Thing-a-ma-Jig (SP015) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon_rider10

Reaction score
Just for fun....

The sparkle paint has potential, people.

Mod edit: I just checked the Fliskits site and learned that the Thingamajig predated the Whatchamacallit and is the archetype. As a result, since a Thingamajig thread has been created, I am conflating the two.

100_3275.jpg

100_3277.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about the sparkle on the rocket or the sparkle on your daughters face?? :)

kewl !

She told me she smiled so big because she wanted to show off where she lost her teeth.

Hopefully this will fly for the first time tomorrow.

Just keeping up with the Names of the Really nifty fin mating system fliskits came up with for the Thingamajig, Whatchamacalit & Doohickey is hard enough. but they are just super KEWL kits.
The BT-50 size A to C powered Thing-A-Ma-Jig was my first Fliskit. and I fine piece of fly'in mod-roc it is.

463a-sm_Thing-A-Ma-Jig (Fliskit) _03-01-07.jpg

463lp01e-sm_TAMG 1st Flt B-PD 4-pic_03-24-07.jpg

463lp02c-sm_TAMJ 2nd flt C6-3 2pic_05-26-07.jpg

First flight success on an A10-3t (yeah I know, not on the list).

100_3354.JPG

100_3356.JPG

100_3358.JPG

100_3360.JPG

the third member of the Fliskit finlock models is the Micro-Maxx powered Doo-Hickey. uses the same tri finlock/fincan system as the Thingamajig & whatchamacalit but in a T4 size body.
Like the other two the model goes together like a dream. needs a little attention in filling and sanding the grain but makes a wonderful flying model that's easy and quick building, prepping and flying.

MM 340Lp02a-sm_Doo-Hickey on Pad 2nd flt_03-15-08.JPG

MM 340Lp02b_Doo-Hickey mid flt_03-15-08.JPG

You may not realize, but we're probably going to have to add "dooDad" to that too...

wait! I've said too much already!

shhhhhhhhh........

:D

Dropping a comment like that without pictures to back it up is nothing short of pure, unadulterated evil.:dark:

My Thing-a-ma-jig. Painted purple with the nose and fin edges in silver. I used a paint pen on the edges. All the fin tabs have been sanded flush.

Rockets001.jpg

NEFAR5.jpg

Last edited:
Mine. Painted purple with the nose and fin edges in silver. I used a paint pen on the edges. All the fin tabs have been sanded flush.

Which one is it? I see nothing for scale.

(I like purple and silver whatever the scale)

Here's my entry in the Jig-Tech series. It's the MMX Doo-Hickey. I finished it in new Krylon - not my favorite paint, I've discovered, but I had some cans sitting around the shop.

Although it's never flown, this rocket has proven to be tough. It's the only one in my fleet that I let my 2-year-old play with - the fin unit is that STRONG. I hope to get set up to launch MMX this spring.

Doo Hickey.jpg

Welcome to the Fliskits Thing-a-ma-Jig (SP015) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Fliskits Thing-a-ma-Jig (SP015) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Fliskits: dooDad: SP025
Fliskits: doo-Hickey: MX009
Fliskits: Thing-a-ma-Jig: SP015
Fliskits: Whatchamacallit: SP017

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Fliskits Thing-a-ma-Jig (SP015) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: Thing-a-ma-Jig Also known as:

NUMBER: SP015

Introduced: 2006
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 22.14"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span: 6.28"
Weight: 1.05 oz

Mfg. Description: The Thing-a-ma-Jig represents a leap in kit technology with regard to assembly and teaching basic skills.

Featuring a new fin technology developed by FlisKits called Jig-Tech, you assemble a "Fin Unit" from the provided laser cut fins. The fins are so designed that the fin unit will hold itself together as it dries, using common white glue.

Another feature of Jig-Tech technology is that the fins are assured of being perfectly straight every time.

Once dry, this unique fin unit is then slid into position on the body tube and glued in place.

It is possible for a beginner, using the Thing-a-ma-Jig as their first model rocket build, to assemble this kit in under an hour using white glue. (Fliskits 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-thing%20a%20ma%20jig%20sp015-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Fliskits dooDad (SP025) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: dooDad Also known as:

NUMBER: SP025

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 14.28"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span: 4.86"
Weight: 0.8 oz

Mfg. Description: PERFECT BEGINNER KIT! Features Jig Tech fins, Streamer recovery, Positive motor retention and a low price!

Taking our Jig-Tech fin idea to another level, the dooDad gives you a rocket that is super easy to build, low cost and extra strong (important when in the hands of excited beginners at the class rocket launch!)

Featuring minimum diameter (meaning that the body tube and motor tube are one in the same (eg: no engine mount)) allows for faster assembly in the class room. This also allows for a much wider variety of motors in a very small model so that you can launch in small fields with the 1/2A and A motors then send it nearly out of sight on C motors!

The laser cut basswood fins provide the easiest to assemble fin unit of any model rocket kit! Perfect for beginners to the hobby!

The use of basswood provides a much stronger fin than that found with balsawood. This helps to eliminate the problem of broken fins on launch day with your class or youth group!

Another nice feature of this kit is the use of an engine hook for positive motor retention. This is an important aspect to a beginner kit but is rarely found in minimum diameter models as there is no way to secure the hook in place. This problem is solved because of the nature of the Jig Tech fin unit. The hook is simply trapped under the fin unit and help firmly in place.

Bring the dooDad to your next launch and discover the excitement of model rocketry at its best! (Fliskits 2012 Web Ad)

Editorial Note: The following is from a personal communication from Jim Flis to the editor concerning the rationale behind the dooDad

Now, the dooDad was created to address specific teacher requests...
• Low cost (like the Whatchamacallit)
• Sturdier fins (balsa breaks too easily)
• The ability to fly to great altitude (18mm and/or minimum diameter)
So, the dooDad is, basically, the same size as the Whatchamacallit but is minimum diameter and can be flown with 1/2A, A, B, C motors (even a D21 to be honest....). The fins are basswood, for greater strength, and it is streamer recovery to aid in recovery from great altitudes. The elimination of an engine mount reduces cost as well as time to assemble (however, the basswood fins had all that cost savings (and more) back on...). (Jim Flis email to John Lee, 31 Dec 2012)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-doodad%20sp025-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Fliskits doo-Hickey (MX009) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: doo-Hickey Also known as:

NUMBER: MX009

Introduced:
Final Year:

Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Length: 7.4"
Diameter: 0.448"
Span: 2.5"
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The FlisKits doo-Hickey is a breakthrough in the world of micromaxx® technology. Implementing FlisKits Jig-Tech™ technology has enabled us to present the first ever Skill Level 1 micromaxx® kit!

At over 7" long and based on the BT-4 tube (0.448" OD), the doo-Hickey is a bit on the large size for a micromaxx® model. This is to help young and inexperienced hands when working with such small parts as is normally found in a micromaxx® kit. Small items such as the cord anchor (a small nail) and the engine block can be intimidating for the beginner and experienced alike.

However, the feature that truly makes the doo-Hickey a skill level 1 kit is the use of Jig-Tech™ fins, first developed for the Thing-a-ma-Jig kit. The figure below shows the nature of the fin, laser cut with tabs and slots, as well as how it is assembled. The Jig-Tech™ design keeps the fins from falling off while the glue dries and also assures perfectly straight fins time after time.

The photo to the right (click on the image to see a larger version) is a rare photo of the launch of Randy Milliken's doo-Hickey kit. Rare because it is so darned hard to capture the launches of these little guys on film! Randy did a fine job here.

While some help may be needed by young and/or inexperienced builders, the doo-Hickey is going to be your easiest build, by far, for a micromaxx® model that uses conventional model rocket components such as wood fins and nose cone.

This model will also perform incredibly well, reaching altitudes of over 100 feet. Easy to build, easy to prep and easy to recover.

Impress your friends, not only with our Micromaxx® kits, but kits that are attractive, high performing and fun to watch, as only FlisKits can do!

Check out our other fine Micromaxx® offerings including kits, parts and accessories as FlisKits continues to grow this segment of model rocketry!

This model is rated as a Skill Level 1 model. This is the perfect model to learn the skills and techniques to successfully build and fly FlisKits Micromaxx® model rocket kits. (Fliskits 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-doo%20hickey%20mx009-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Fliskits Whatchamacallit (SP017) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: Whatchamacallit Also known as:

NUMBER: SP017

Introduced:
Final Year:

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Length: 10.81"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span: 4.14"
Weight: 0.35 oz

Mfg. Description: FlisKits is working hard to meet the needs of educators around the country and the Whatchamacallit is a direct result of educator feedback.

Featuring the same Jig-TechTM technology as found in the Thing-a-ma-Jig kit, the Whatchamacallit addresses several other educator concerns.

First is assembly ease. The Jig-TechTM fins take care of that in a hurry, allowing assembly in about an hour with a typical classroom. The simplified engine mount and streamer recover help contribute to this as well.

Next comes cost. The smaller Whatchamacallit costs less and also makes use of the lower cost 13mm mini motors.

Then we have issues with field size. Not every school
has huge athletic fields to fly in and have to rely on small play grounds and the like. 13mm motors going as small as 1/4A size, coupled with streamer recovery makes this the perfect small field rocket!

An experienced builder can assemble the Whatchamacallit in under 15 minutes! (Fliskits 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-whatchamacallit%20sp017-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Scout%2520Rocket.JPG

Whatchamacallit that I use as a demo rocket for Camporees and Space Ex Merit Badge events.

I just finished my Thing-a-ma-jig after it had sat in primer for about a year. I decided to go with 1960s classic white, black, gray, and red, using Rustoleum gloss paints. The decals came from a generic Fliskits BT-55 set. The clear is from a spray can, Americana brand gloss acrylic, a new product I'm trying out.

I realize the Thing is designed as a beginner's rocket, but I tried to finish it using the techniques I've learned on other rockets. Of course, I filled the tube spirals and those unsightly Jig-tech holes! I really think the Jig series is a neat concept, and the fin can seems pretty much bullet-proof. I can't wait to plug in a B6-4 and see how it flies!

Thing-a-ma-jig fixed.jpg

Last edited:
That is one of the most beautiful TamJ's I've ever seen! Well done!

What was your opinion of the FlisKits decals? Any problems or issues with them? (we get little feedback on this accessory...)

Thanks, Jim. The kit was a pleasure to build.

Thinking back, I misspoke about the decals. They were from an Excelsior BT-50 set. I had my Fliskits decal sheets out but didn't use them this time. I've used them on previous projects, though. The decals are thin and pretty delicate, so I painted them with a layer of Microscale liquid decal film. With a little care, I've used them successfully. My original intent with the Thing was to decorate it with all the Fliskits logos and such, but I decided on the simpler scheme above. Maybe for that Deuce I've got my eye on...

Back