Estes - Nike-X (K-70 or #1270) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
This is the QModeling upscale version of the Estes Nike-X rocket.I finished this kit last Christmas and flew it once on an AT S/U "E" engine....flies very well on an E ,as this rocket kit is not all that heavy for it`s size and the fact that no epoxy was used in the build (I know ,hard to believe comming from me ;) )
The kit went together without any problems ,very high quality parts used throughout and the waterslide decals were great ,as no setting solutions were needed.

These are great kits to build and very well made.I just bought the upscale ANDROMEDA during their X-Mas sale...great deal and only $5.00 shipping to CANADA :y:.....I mean 5 bucks ,you can`t go wrong ! I plan to add a few more to my collection.

Paul

php9WPBTGAM.jpg

phpKWNq0MAM.jpg

phpm1J5lwAM.jpg

phpEpyc0rAM.jpg

phpt8WBMUAM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, I was about to ask you if you did one. Your rockets have such excellant detail. Now excuse me I'm going to go bang my head against the wall now. (My NikeX) lol.

I built a Q-Modeling Nike-X to fly at NARAM-49.

It had a great flight on and AeroTech E15-4W motor. Plenty of flame and smoke. :D

Please note: The Estes Nike-X (and, therefore, the Q-Modeling upscale) are not scale models of a real missile. "Nike-X" was the name given to the development program for a follow-on missile to the Nike-Hercules. This missile was later named "Nike-Zeus".

N49 Bob with Mega Nike-X.jpg

Guys!
The Nike-X kits are NOT a scale model in any respect. While they do slightly resemble the Nike-Zeus , that was the very beginning prototype of the long range part of the Nike-X, Sentinal System project. That Missile defense system later contained the Spartan and Sprint missiles. This kit only vagely resembles the Nike-Zeus & Spartan we do them both disservice by calling this kit "Scale". These kit models no more deserve to be considered scale models then the SR-71 kit.

If We're going to use this Gallery's to show our kit builds or scratch builds for that matter; If it is not as a measurable representation of a REAL vehicle then lets refer to them as they should be as "semi-scale" or scale like... better yet just with the kit name.

Here's my Nike-X... a fairly neat looking model but it's NOT a scale anything.

475a-sm_Nike-X  Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg

475Lp03c-sm_Nike-X B6-4 Liftoff_05-24-08.JPG

Guys!
The Nike-X kits are NOT a scale model in any respect. While they do slightly resemble the Nike-Zeus , that was the very beginning prototype of the long range part of the Nike-X, Sentinal System project. That Missile defense system later contained the Spartan and Sprint missiles. This kit only vagely resembles the Nike-Zeus & Spartan we do them both disservice by calling this kit "Scale". These kit models no more deserve to be considered scale models then the SR-71 kit.

If We're going to use this Gallery's to show our kit builds or scratch builds for that matter; If it is not as a measurable representation of a REAL vehicle then lets refer to them as they should be as "semi-scale" or scale like... better yet just with the kit name.

Here's my Nike-X... a fairly neat looking model but it's NOT a scale anything.

I agree.I was even thinking putting it as "QModeling" as I would like to give them their due as a kit manufacturer.

Paul

This is the QModeling upscale...
Please note: The Estes Nike-X (and, therefore, the Q-Modeling upscale) are not scale models of a real missile.
Please REMOVE the reference to SCALE from this kit!
Guys!
The Nike-X kits are NOT a scale model in any respect.
Hmmm, whom are you speaking to?
The only use of the word "scale" in the term your claiming is in the thread title.
No one has called their particular model "scale of anything" in any of the postings.
So perhaps the use of the term "guys", referring to more than one person, has been misused here in this respect.

For what its worth, I am the guy to blame for putting scale in the thread title. I am NOT a scale authority and assumed that this was just one more of a whole lot of Nike scale rockets. I have since been informed otherwise and plan to change it.

Before that happens, I am trying to work out an alternate indexing scheme that will maintain the original goal of this section to show a wide variety of variations on a theme and also give the manufacturers of re-scales, clones, etc proper credit. In addition to not being a scale authority, I am not a programmer either and will need time to work things out.

I do expect this to happen soon. I started my first vacation in 4 years today. I was taking 5 days of to get ready for a contest. Now it seems a good deal of that time will be spent indexing. I'm not complaining; I love this place and am glad to do it but you better understand that I am not going to completely waste what vacation I have either.

For what its worth, I am the guy to blame for putting scale in the thread title. I am NOT a scale authority and assumed that this was just one more of a whole lot of Nike scale rockets. I have since been informed otherwise and plan to change it.

Before that happens, I am trying to work out an alternate indexing scheme that will maintain the original goal of this section to show a wide variety of variations on a theme and also give the manufacturers of re-scales, clones, etc proper credit. In addition to not being a scale authority, I am not a programmer either and will need time to work things out.

I do expect this to happen soon. I started my first vacation in 4 years today. I was taking 5 days of to get ready for a contest. Now it seems a good deal of that time will be spent indexing. I'm not complaining; I love this place and am glad to do it but you better understand that I am not going to completely waste what vacation I have either.

I've been out in the garage fighting rotor airfoils and just came back in. An emergency at the church has come up and I need to head out there. I just took another look at my quoted post above and it strikes me as much whinier than I intended. I do indeed love this place and want to get things right. Its going to take me a little time to do so AND I don't want to give up too much of the precious vacation time either.

Please bear with me. I hope to get the re-indexing started this evening when I get back from the church...and probably after fighting the rotors some more. Heck, I may even slip supper in there someplace!:wink:

I've been out in the garage fighting rotor airfoils and just came back in. An emergency at the church has come up and I need to head out there. I just took another look at my quoted post above and it strikes me as much whinier than I intended. I do indeed love this place and want to get things right. Its going to take me a little time to do so AND I don't want to give up too much of the precious vacation time either.

Please bear with me. I hope to get the re-indexing started this evening when I get back from the church...and probably after fighting the rotors some more. Heck, I may even slip supper in there someplace!:wink:

Emergency at the church?

I thought you were on vacation?

Emergency at the church?

I thought you were on vacation?

Yup on both counts. That's the life in a small church where there is no associate. I told people yesterday that I wanted them to call me for emergecies of this type. It would be different if I was out of town but that was not in the budget this year.

PS. I got your email and I'm wrestling with adding another set of decals to the mix but need to get some measurements.

Yup on both counts. That's the life in a small church where there is no associate. I told people yesterday that I wanted them to call me for emergecies of this type. It would be different if I was out of town but that was not in the budget this year.

PS. I got your email and I'm wrestling with adding another set of decals to the mix but need to get some measurements.

No rush, I'm babysitting my grand daughter this week and with a big a$$ snow storm on the way I may have her all week.

The last snow storm the mail man didn't deliver. "neither rain nor sleet...but if it snows..."

I built a Q-Modeling Nike-X to fly at NARAM-49.

It had a great flight on and AeroTech E15-4W motor. Plenty of flame and smoke. :D

Please note: The Estes Nike-X (and, therefore, the Q-Modeling upscale) are not scale models of a real missile. "Nike-X" was the name given to the development program for a follow-on missile to the Nike-Hercules. This missile was later named "Nike-Zeus".

Hey Bob! Thanks for pointing out that this is not a scale model in an informative and respectful way instead of talking down to and lecturing everybody like they were misbehaving 5 year olds :D.

Hey Bob! Thanks for pointing out that this is not a scale model in an informative and respectful way instead of talking down to and lecturing everybody like they were misbehaving 5 year olds :D.

AMEN!!! Now let's commence with telling sodmeister how awesome his Nike-X is.

You definitely have an eye for detail. The red stripes look great, and the fins look much better painted black instead of the decals like the original Estes had.

[Here's my Nike-X... a fairly neat looking model but it's NOT a scale anything.[/QUOTE]So, in that case, on a scale of 1-10, your Nike gets a BIG FAT ZERO!!!!! :puke:

AMEN!!! Now let's commence with telling sodmeister how awesome his Nike-X is.

You definitely have an eye for detail. The red stripes look great, and the fins look much better painted black instead of the decals like the original Estes had.

Thanks ,but after this fiasco,I think I better stick with TLP kits and scratch built missiles :rofl:

Paul

Ditto!
The Nike X looks great!

Last edited:
The Q-modeling kits are Estes upscales,, so don't blame Q modeling if somethings not true scale.
A good example is their Wac Corporal,,it's not scale, it's based on the estes kit with the fin bevels.

the real thing did not have fin bevels, although almost everybody has modeled it that way (even including beveling jigs in their kits ).

The confusion came from some photos where the fins appear beveled , but it is actually the way the fins were sanded/buffed and the lighting in the photos.Look at ANY build and the fins are always incorrectly sanded to an angled bevel.

in reality they have a smooth airfoil

( I believe even Peter Alway will back this up).

oh yeah..ofcourse..nice model there Sodmeister !

Last edited:
This is the QModeling upscale version of the Estes Nike-X rocket.I finished this kit last Christmas and flew it once on an AT S/U "E" engine....flies very well on an E ,as this rocket kit is not all that heavy for it`s size and the fact that no epoxy was used in the build (I know ,hard to believe comming from me ;) )
The kit went together without any problems ,very high quality parts used throughout and the waterslide decals were great ,as no setting solutions were needed.

If you want scale data on the Zeus, go to White Sands, they have one in their storage yard. It's a beauty to behold, yours too, Paul!

Tsolo Dann

Thankyou gentlemen ,but thanks should go to Qmodeling ,as the kit and decals were great to work with ,I just added a few red stripes ,B/W checkerboard Monokote and paint.
I can hardly wait to start the up-scale Andromeda.....but not until much later.

Cheers

Paul

The Q-modeling kits are Estes upscales,, so don't blame Q modeling if somethings not true scale...

the real thing did not have fin bevels, although almost everybody has modeled it that way (even including beveling jigs in their kits ).

...in reality they have a smooth airfoil

( I believe even Peter Alway will back this up).
If you'd been paying attention to the thread you would've realized:

a) it could never be "true scale" as there is no real Nike-X missile.
b) there is no "real thing" as there is no real Nike-X missile.
c) there is no "in reality" as there is no real Nike-X missile.
d) I doubt "Alway will back this up" as there is no real Nike-X missile.

and finally, there is no real Nike-X missile.

Now let's all get back on topic and marvel at the beautiful detailing and finish that these fine modelers have done to their kits.
Nice job "guys", yes all of you.;)

Now let's all get back on topic and marvel at the beautiful detailing and finish that these fine modelers have done to their kits.

I suggest you read the section on the Nike-X program in James N. Gibson's excellent book "Nuclear Weapons of the United States: An Illustrated History."

But, yes, everybody is to be congratulated on their excellent modeling skills. Those birds are looking fantastic! :clap:

I suggest you read the section on the Nike-X program in James N. Gibson's excellent book "Nuclear Weapons of the United States: An Illustrated History."
Do you have any actually pictures of the "program" in flight?"
What was the paint scheme on the "program"?
Did the "program" have a warhead?

I believe we're talking about a missile and/or rocket.
No one said anything about a "program" with the same name.

The Nike-X "program" developed the Nike-Zeus misslie; it has never developed the Nike-X missile.

I suggest you re-read this section again within this excellent forum by TRF.:D

easy bulldog..My post was referring to the Wac Corporal...not the nike x

easy bulldog..My post was referring to the Wac Corporal...not the nike x
Woof, woof!
Dude, but we are all "talking" about the Nike-X, when was the thread hijacked?...

{On second thought, let me re-word that 'cause we can argue that this thread was "hijacked" very early on by many of us - yes me included}

...when did it become about the Wac Corporal?
You can see where the confusion comes from....yes?

Here's my oddly familier black-on-white rocket. It's a Semroc clone of an Estes kit. It was my go-to rocket as a yout. Mark at Stickershock23 did the vinyl. He did an ever so slight downsize of his stickers from BT-60 to BT-55. They look great but some of the detail got lost on the downsize.

NEFAR4.jpg

Here is my scratch built Nike X. Airframe is 4" LOC tube and stands 72" high. Total weight without motor is 5 lbs. 1st flight coming up in July.Nike-X 010.jpg

Back