Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Red Max View Post
    Do you have any actually pictures of the "program" in flight?"
    What was the paint scheme on the "program"?
    Did the "program" have a warhead?

-Scott

NAR# 32070

Quote Originally Posted by Stymye View Post
    easy bulldog..My post was referring to the Wac Corporal...not the nike x
    Woof, woof!
    Dude, but we are all "talking" about the Nike-X, when was the thread hijacked?...

{On second thought, let me re-word that 'cause we can argue that this thread was "hijacked" very early on by many of us - yes me included}

...when did it become about the Wac Corporal?
    You can see where the confusion comes from....yes?

Here's my oddly familier black-on-white rocket. It's a Semroc clone of an Estes kit. It was my go-to rocket as a yout. Mark at Stickershock23 did the vinyl. He did an ever so slight downsize of his stickers from BT-60 to BT-55. They look great but some of the detail got lost on the downsize.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEFAR4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	41648  
    Last edited by JAL3; 21st February 2011 at 01:32 AM.
    I ain't brushed my teeth in 23 years and I ain't about to start now. - My brother-in-law.

Not kidding.

Nike X

Here is my scratch built Nike X. Airframe is 4" LOC tube and stands 72" high. Total weight without motor is 5 lbs. 1st flight coming up in July.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nike-X 010.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	51555

Quote Originally Posted by bill2654 View Post
    Here is my scratch built Nike X. Airframe is 4" LOC tube and stands 72" high. Total weight without motor is 5 lbs. 1st flight coming up in July.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nike-X 010.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	51555
    Now THAT`S a nice rocket !

Paul T
    ROCKETRY DELINQUENT ,I put my soul in what I do.

I built a rocket, and on the seventh day ,I rested

CTI.....a better way to fly

My Nike-X

Here's my 2nd Estes Nike-X. This one I purchased on Ebay a few years ago. My first Nike-X I built probably in 1981 (I do not remember precisely) and it had an accident when launched first time. I put it too close to the deflector plate so that the back end of the rocket suffered a lot from the exhaust, which even burned a hole into the deflector plate, subsequently toasting also the plastic tri pod (an Estes Port-a-Pad). Well, I payed my dues in those early days.

The Nike-X was my favourite at that time especially because it took quite some time until I found one in a local hobby store. They carried too many Big Berthas, Odysseys, Antares, Alphas (which I already had), so the Nike-X seemed to be very rare. I never saw a Nike-Ajax either in the stores (although both models were belonging to the initial release of rockets in 1978 by Mattel here in Germany).

Now, I also have a QModeling Nike-X which is "work in progress". Hope to finish it this year. Not sure, if I will launch it as I read some horror stories on the web and I don't really want to have a "Deja-Vu" at its maiden voyage

Also, launching it would be illegal as even a simple D12-3 is not allowed to ignite without a special license (which I don't have)

Anyway, have fun!

Holger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Nike-X 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	71990  
    Last edited by HolgiD; 17th February 2012 at 01:22 PM.

My to-do list is way too long, but the new Estes Nike-X being advertised a lot by SierraFox from Italy, the nice sounding rocket paint scheme and this thread got me motivated to at least design an upscale variant of it -- and maybe build it between more complex HPR projects.

I have a plug for a 5.4:1 50 mm LV-Haack nosecone that fits the Klima tubes nicely, and since I prefer more slender rockets, I made the body tube longer, it's now a 50x385 mm tube (DxL) on top of a 50x500 mm for the sustainer. The tiny fins on top stay where they are relative to the top, the two bottom sets relative to the bottom.

Since no rocket that has Nike in its name should be left without a booster, I added a Terrier booster. I think a 60 mm diameter tube and very slightly enlarged fins (10 % bigger than in the original Terrier) for stability look good on this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	openrocket.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	339030

If I don't add electronics the sustainer should be able to fly on a single D9, and the booster would get 2x D9-0. With the whole rocket being 1680 mm tall (5' 6"), this is simply not impressive enough, so I think I should go for sturdier construction, electronics and dual deployment in the sustainer, and more like 4x D9 in the booster and 2x D9 in the sustainer.

What do you think?

Oliver

Terrier-Nike-X.ork

So, are there any upscale Nike-X's out there anymore? It appears that QModeling is no more?

Jon