Estes - Nike-X (K-70 or #1270) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Estes Nike-X (K-70 or #1270) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Nike-X (K-70 or #1270) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Nike-X: K-70 or #1270
QModeling: NIKEX:
Thrustline: Nike-X: TACL-002

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Nike-X (K-70 or #1270) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Nike-X Also known as:

NUMBER: K-70 or #1270

Introduced: 1975
Final Year: 1984
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Type: Pseudo Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 23.4"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.3 oz

Mfg. Description: Scale-like single stage model of U.S. Army's 4th generation, two stage surface-to-air interceptor missile. Nike style design with US Army decor. Great performance for really impressive flights. Easy to assemble. Realistic roll pattern decals, quick release engine mount, die cut fins and big 18" parachute. (Estes 1975 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-nike%20x%20k70-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog
estes-nike%20x%20k70-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog
estes-nike%20x%20k70-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1980 Catalog

estes-nike%20x%20k70-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog
estes-nike%20x%20k70-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Catalog
estes-nike%20x%20k70-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1983 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-nike%20x%20k70-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
QModeling NIKEX Basic Information.

qmodeling.gif
QModeling

MODEL NAME: NIKEX Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Scale, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 45.875”
Diameter: 2.6"
Span: 10.09”
Weight: 13.3 oz

Mfg. Description: The NIKEX is one of QModeling's top quality sports class model rocket kits. The NIKEX is a large scale recreation of the awesome Estes™ NIKE-X. The original Nike-X boomed the skies in the 1970's.

QModeling has created a MEGA BT-80 version of this classic that enables the use of E or F size (24mm) rocket motors for spectacular launches. The NIKEX is a 1.96:1 MEGA scale of the original NIKE-X making it over 45 inches tall. Combined with QModeling's high quality laser cut parts and renowned easy step-by-step instructions your own NIKEX could be thundering into the sky in no time.

QModeling's NIKEX comes with a unique retractable Engine Hook eliminating the annoying problem of not being able to display your powerful bird on a flat surface without a stand. The kit includes QModeling's BT-80-Ogive Nose Cone produced from their high quality nose cone liquid plastic process. Making a substantial investment in an aluminum large mold to produce a BT-80 size nose cone is another example of QModeling's quest to offer the highest quality kits on the market.

Like the other MRS kits, QModeling's has broken the deployment barrier by offering a wad-less high performance Recovery System based on a partnership with Top Flight Recovery. It consists of a 30” Octagon, Thin Mil, Ripstop Nylon Parachute with sewn in 24” Nylon shroud lines, Nomex® 9” x 9” Heat Shield Parachute Protector, 9’ Kevlar® Shock Cord, and a Snap Swivel. Now there is no need to search out any after market recovery system components, because QModeling builds top quality into all aspects of their kits. (QModeling 2006 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

qmodeling-nikex-2006%20web%20livery.jpg
QModeling 2006 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

qmodeling-nikex-instr.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
Andy Greene

TRF Applicable Threads
other Q-Modeling Nike X ??

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here's my 2nd Estes Nike-X. This one I purchased on Ebay a few years ago. My first Nike-X I built probably in 1981 (I do not remember precisely) and it had an accident when launched first time. I put it too close to the deflector plate so that the back end of the rocket suffered a lot from the exhaust, which even burned a hole into the deflector plate, subsequently toasting also the plastic tri pod (an Estes Port-a-Pad). Well, I payed my dues in those early days. :(

The Nike-X was my favourite at that time especially because it took quite some time until I found one in a local hobby store. They carried too many Big Berthas, Odysseys, Antares, Alphas (which I already had), so the Nike-X seemed to be very rare. I never saw a Nike-Ajax either in the stores (although both models were belonging to the initial release of rockets in 1978 by Mattel here in Germany).

Now, I also have a QModeling Nike-X which is "work in progress". Hope to finish it this year. Not sure, if I will launch it as I read some horror stories on the web and I don't really want to have a "Deja-Vu" at its maiden voyage :eek:

Also, launching it would be illegal as even a simple D12-3 is not allowed to ignite without a special license (which I don't have) :bangbang:

Anyway, have fun!

Holger

My Nike-X 1.jpg

Last edited:
Thrustline Nike-X (TACL-002) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Nike-X Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-002

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Scale, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

thrustline-nike%20x%20tacl002-2008%20web%20livery.jpg
Thrustline 2008 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
My to-do list is way too long, but the new Estes Nike-X being advertised a lot by SierraFox from Italy, the nice sounding rocket paint scheme and this thread got me motivated to at least design an upscale variant of it -- and maybe build it between more complex HPR projects.

I have a plug for a 5.4:1 50 mm LV-Haack nosecone that fits the Klima tubes nicely, and since I prefer more slender rockets, I made the body tube longer, it's now a 50x385 mm tube (DxL) on top of a 50x500 mm for the sustainer. The tiny fins on top stay where they are relative to the top, the two bottom sets relative to the bottom.

Since no rocket that has Nike in its name should be left without a booster, I added a Terrier booster. I think a 60 mm diameter tube and very slightly enlarged fins (10 % bigger than in the original Terrier) for stability look good on this one.

openrocket.png

If I don't add electronics the sustainer should be able to fly on a single D9, and the booster would get 2x D9-0. With the whole rocket being 1680 mm tall (5' 6"), this is simply not impressive enough, so I think I should go for sturdier construction, electronics and dual deployment in the sustainer, and more like 4x D9 in the booster and 2x D9 in the sustainer.

What do you think?

Oliver

View attachment Terrier-Nike-X.ork

My scratch build doodle and parts list...Nike-X.jpg ...an up-scaled semi-scale model of a fantasy scale missile.

47.05" tall
2.56" dia body tube
10.09" main fin span
29mm motor

I'll sim it and see how it works out.

Another "X". I probably built my first one in 1981. This is a 2021 "Grey Edition". 24mm engine capable.

Attachments

• PXL_20210908_175405992.jpg
    PXL_20210908_175405992.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 15
Back