SCALE - Phoenix (AIM-54) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
This is the 4" MadCow Phoenix ,built awhile back.Nice ,high quality kit ,1/4" Birch ply fins ,made my own retention (pretty much use AeroPack exclusively now)
Big fins ,means plenty and plenty of sanding to achieve nice knife edges on the fins and a whole lot of sealer to get them glass smooth.
Made my own decals and used MonoKote for stripes.

Wish i would have used a lighter shade of gray ,oh well :(

Flies great !

Paul

phpFmA3mOAM.jpg

phpuaS0xzAM.jpg

php6yX3qiAM.jpg

phpa8lNLxAM.jpg

phpEGnOPiAM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I whiter shade of pale ... ?err grey...

good job on the phoenix !

I whiter shade of pale ... ?err grey...

good job on the phoenix !

Funny. When I opened this earlier today I was thinking the exact same thing cause I watched "The Committments" last night.

BT-55 card stock Deuce Phoenix complete with card stock baffle. Works like a charm.

Phoenix1.jpg

This is the Estes kit, built about 11 years old. I've flown it on D12's but also on E30's. It really goes on the E30.

IMG_2117b.jpg

Built the Estes offering of the Phoenix about a billion years ago--back when Moby Dick was a minnow, cars had carburetors, and Stephen King was trying to make ends meet--and have been considering either the Madcow 4" or LOC 5.5" version as a winter project. I remember being so proud of this bird as a kid... and it's still one of the most aesthetically pleasing military missiles, in my opinion. Strongly suspect I may have photos to add to this thread in the near future...

Later!

--Coop

Built the Estes offering of the Phoenix about a billion years ago--back when Moby Dick was a minnow, cars had carburetors, and Stephen King was trying to make ends meet--and have been considering either the Madcow 4" or LOC 5.5" version as a winter project. I remember being so proud of this bird as a kid... and it's still one of the most aesthetically pleasing military missiles, in my opinion. Strongly suspect I may have photos to add to this thread in the near future...

Later!

--Coop

Mine is the Madcow offering ,very nice,well made ,sturdy kit !

And yes I agree ,it`s a very sexy missile (as far as missles go ...of course )

Paul t

I like the idea of the monokote you used for the stripes. I've seen excellent results with this, but have never worked with it myownself. It's something like a shrink-wrap, is my understanding--yes? What kind of surface prepping has to be done with this stuff?

Later!

--Coop

I like the idea of the monokote you used for the stripes. I've seen excellent results with this, but have never worked with it myownself. It's something like a shrink-wrap, is my understanding--yes? What kind of surface prepping has to be done with this stuff?

Later!

--Coop

Monokote is great stuff ! It`s a thin,self adhesive backed vinyl product,just cut,peel and stick.The best surface a clean,glossy one.It comes in 5" x 36 " strips

Paul T

Later!

--Coop

I had the same impression but learned that monokote (what you described as the shrink wrap) is not the same as "trim monokote) which is what Sodmeister describes. I learned the hard way after buying a bunch of the former from a LHS going out of business. The latter has worked well, though.

I had the same impression but learned that monokote (what you described as the shrink wrap) is not the same as "trim monokote) which is what Sodmeister describes. I learned the hard way after buying a bunch of the former from a LHS going out of business. The latter has worked well, though.

Regular monokote can work well too, especially coating fins... but you have to set it with an iron to activate the adhesive and shrink it down tight.

You can get a trim iron pretty cheap or pick up a used clothes iron at a yard sale cheap (and paint it so it's not used on clothing by mistake, because any adhesive gets on the surface will transfer to clothes and ruin them.

Later! OL JR :)

Aaah... maybe it's the heat-activated adhesive which was throwing my noggin' for a loop. Dig that. This is something I will have to look into further because as I said, I like the results I've seen from the stuff.

The 4" Phoenix looks like a nice bird--anyone here build the 5.5"?

Later!

--Coop

Aaah... maybe it's the heat-activated adhesive which was throwing my noggin' for a loop. Dig that. This is something I will have to look into further because as I said, I like the results I've seen from the stuff.

The 4" Phoenix looks like a nice bird--anyone here build the 5.5"?

Later!

--Coop

I want to do the 5.5 one......wanna do a group build thread? I have been eye-ballin that thing for over a year now. Lets do it!!!

I want to do the 5.5 one......wanna do a group build thread? I have been eye-ballin that thing for over a year now. Lets do it!!!

That 5.5" LOC kit painted right and done up with a Stickershick decal set would be very sweet indeed! (don't look at me though--too many projects already including a 4" Madcow Phoenix).

That 5.5" LOC kit painted right and done up with a Stickershick decal set would be very sweet indeed! (don't look at me though--too many projects already including a 4" Madcow Phoenix).

aaawww, come on Tim, It would be JUST ONE MORE!!! lol. I think I am going to pull the trigger on this one. I was hoping to get a few others involved, and try to beat up Barry for a "group discount" Any othe takers out there????

Jason

Awww.... what the hey. But I can't get it until Jan. This month's kicked on electric, rent, and Christmas. Should be able to get some more part-time hours next month.

Later!

--Coop

Awww.... what the hey. But I can't get it until Jan. This month's kicked on electric, rent, and Christmas. Should be able to get some more part-time hours next month.

Later!

--Coop

January works better for me as well. Keep in touch.

Welcome to the SCALE Phoenix (AIM-54) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Phoenix missile (AIM-54) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Phoenix: #1380
Madcow: Phoenix Rocket: K-136
Rocket R&D: Phoenix (3.9"):

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The AIM-54 Phoenix is a radar-guided, long-range air-to-air missile (AAM), carried in clusters of up to six missiles on F-14 Tomcats, its only launch platform. The Phoenix was the United States' only long-range air-to-air missile. The weapons system based on Phoenix was the world's first to allow simultaneous guidance of missiles against multiple targets. Both the missile and the aircraft was used by the United States Navy and are now retired, the AIM-54 Phoenix in 2004 and the F-14 in 2006. They were replaced by shorter-range AIM-120 AMRAAMs, employed on the F/A-18 Hornet and F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

Last edited:
Estes Phoenix (#1380) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Phoenix Also known as:

NUMBER: #1380

Introduced: 1982
Final Year: 2004
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 30"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 6.6 oz

Mfg. Description: Big semi-scale model of the famous Phoenix air-to-air supersonic missile. Impressive in the air and on display. Single "D" powered engine provides a slow, realistic lift-off and flights over 600 feet. (Estes 1982 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-phoenix%201380-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1983 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-1985%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1985 Catalog

estes-phoenix%201380-1991%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1991 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1993 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1994 Catalog

estes-phoenix%201380-1995%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1995 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-1998%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1998 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-2001%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2001 Catalog

estes-phoenix%201380-2002%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2002 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-2003%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2003 Catalog
estes-phoenix%201380-2004%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2004 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-phoenix%201380-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-phoenix%201380-instr%201.jpg
estes-phoenix%201380-instr%202.jpg
estes-phoenix%201380-instr%203.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Madcow Phoenix Rocket (K-136) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow ROcketry

MODEL NAME: Phoenix Rocket Also known as:

NUMBER: K-136

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length: 40.5"
Diameter: 4.0"
Span:
Weight: 60 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

madcow-phoenix%20rocket%20k136-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Madcow 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

madcow-phoenix%20rocket%20k136-facecard%201.jpg
madcow-phoenix%20rocket%20k136-facecard%202.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-phoenix%20rocket%20k136-instr%201.jpg
madcow-phoenix%20rocket%20k136-instr%202.jpg

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Facecard and instructions

2013-04-13-Facecards-0002-2.jpg

Launching at Lucerne sometime in late 1998

Phoenix-Lucerne-12-1998-1.jpg

Rocket R&D Phoenix (3.9") Basic Information.

rocket%20rnd%20trf.gif
Rocket R&D

MODEL NAME: Phoenix 3.9" Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length: 46"
Diameter: 3.9"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

rocket%20rnd-phoenix%203.9-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
This was my L1 cert rocket, now retired due to a cracked fin fillet. It had a dozen or so great flights. The H178DM and H148R were my favorite for this rocket.

phoenix1.jpg

WP_002756.jpg
My Phoenix, built somewhere around 1990. It suffered fairly significant danage to the body tube on its last flight (Oct 2014) and was subsequently broken down into parts. I was able, however, to save pretty much everything except the tube and motor mount. I will rebuild this from the remaining original part and a new tube and mount. It will rise again -like a Phoenix!

I had an Estes "Challenge Series" Phoenix kit kicking around for about 15yrs....never opened. I finally decided to build it this past spring. Great kit and a real looker on the pad.

phoenix.jpg

I built an original Estes kit in 1991 when I was stationed at Minot AFB, ND. It was also the last time I launched a model rocket... Something that I hope to change in the very near future. :wink: It's one and only flight resulted in an engine CATO that blew out the side of the BT from about 20 feet above the launch pad! It also ejected the nozzle straight down and the impact dented the blast deflector! :eek: We actually caught it on video (VHS), but that was a long time, and many, many moves ago, so it's long gone now. I'm very, very tempted to build another one though.

My original Estes Semi-Scale Phoenix kit was built back in Sept. of 1989. It was an interesting build with the motor mount recesses so far inside the BT-80 body. An OK flying model but I never really liked it's weathercocking tendency.

When I down Scaled my Micro Maxx powered T3 (.375") body Micro Phoenix I went more for actual scale using the standard grey body color combo. The micro is a much better flyer then the larger Estes kit. Straight as an Arrow without the larger kit weathercocking.

036-sm_Phoenix Semi-Scale_09-15-89.jpg

386a1a_MM Phoenix (T3) 6.933 Scale_04-18-12.jpg

THOY (Tiffany Hobbies of Ypsilanti) Phoenix missile clone.
0428190725.jpg

Lost a few weeks ago when it windcocked and drifted away.:(
Parts already received and bagged for a rebuild.
EDIT: Correction, this is the Estes 2.6" Phoenix clone

THIS is the THOY 4" clone:
0129201235.jpg
And a BT-60 scratcher on the side.

Last edited:
Anyone happen to have fin dimensions and/or patterns for the Estes 1380? Working on a clone, and couldn’t locate info on Jimz site.

Back