Aerotech - Sumo (#89024) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Welcome to the Aerotech Sumo (89024) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Aerotech Sumo and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Aerotech: Sumo: #89024

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Aerotech Sumo (89024) Basic Information.

aerotech.gif
Aerotech Consumer Aerospace

Sumo

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 39"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 32 oz

Mfg. Description: For those who love to see a short, fat rocket with slow lift offs, this is it! A big, 4 inch diameter kit with impressive decals, the Sumo really stands out! (Aerotech 2007-2008 Catalog)

areotech%20-%20sumo%20-%202007%20cat%20livery.jpg
(Aerotech 2007-08 Catalog)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads
Aeropack on a Sumo

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Just thought people might find this interesting.

This Sumo is almost two years old now, with seven flights under its belt, but I still enjoy it because of its excellent reliability!

For the record, the rocket weighs 55oz with a G64-4W loaded, flys off of a 1/4" diameter, 4' long rod, and never fails to put on a good show!

I've had some flawlessly straight boosts, but in all the others, it exhibited a slight lean, with apogee right at the top, every time!

026.jpg

027.jpg

rockets 2nd launch 025.jpg

rockets 3rd launch 056.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my Sumo model.

It's made only one flight (So far ;) ) which was at NARAM-52 using an AeroTech G80-7T motor. Great flight! :)

AeroTech Sumo Finished.jpg

N52 Sumo launch on AeroTech G80-7T motor.jpg

N52 Sumo climbing.jpg

N52 Sumo about to land.jpg

Well, below is a good flight and one very bad flight (kinda fun to sequence through the frames though and relive the carnage)...

p6180278.jpg

p6180448.jpg

p6180449.jpg

p6180450.jpg

p6180451.jpg

Just thought people might find this interesting.

This Sumo is almost two years old now, with seven flights under its belt, but I still enjoy it because of its excellent reliability!

For the record, the rocket weighs 55oz with a G64-4W loaded, flys off of a 1/4" diameter, 4' long rod, and never fails to put on a good show!

I've had some flawlessly straight boosts, but in all the others, it exhibited a slight lean, with apogee right at the top, every time!

Your cat looks sooooo excited! LOL

Great looking Sumo, too.

WHAT HAPPENED? :y::eyepop:

Fun! fun! Let's see... My first reload. Put in the delay/spacer combination in backwards. Noticed it and got some real-time coaching from an L3. He told me to push it out through the fore BP hole (he apologized afterward) and reinsert it correctly. Not a good idea as it was in there very tight and it put a "pinhole" in the delay. Subsequently the amazing flame. Really, should have known better. But no big deal--live and learn everyday.

Last edited:
Fun! fun! Let's see... My first reload. Put in the delay/spacer combination in backwards. Noticed it and got some real-time coaching from an L3. He told me to push it out through the fore BP hole (he apologized afterward) and reinsert it correctly. Not a good idea as it was in there very tight and it put a "pinhole" in the delay. Subsequently the amazing flame. Really, should have known better. But no big deal--live and learn everyday.

Do you have any pictures of the aftermath?

Do you have any pictures of the aftermath?

Well, as you can imagine, it was, ummm scorched(!!!!). The top of the airframe was charred ash (fuzzy first pic after I cut off the "charcoal" and stripped off the inside burnt "confetti" with a test fit of an outside coupler that didn't work). Two of the fins were melted on the ends--those were easy though, I cut the melted part off and took a file and rounded the tips. Amazingly I was able to repair the whole thing though. I had to put an coupler on the inside of the the fin can and extend the frame (second pic). In conjunction with that, I added an outside coupler and new CR to extend the motor mount (third pic). Finished inside with u-bolt to attach shock cord is shown in the fourth pic. In the end the result was great as I flew my "Stretch Sumo" successfully for my L1 cert (fifth pic with the flame motif so apropos).

Charred.jpg

Extended.jpg

MMT.jpg

New Inside.jpg

Done.jpg

Last edited:
Was that G80 the new 137 Nsec version? From the photos the flame is actually visible. I'm impressed!

How was the 7 sec. delay: early, late, indifferent?

Was that G80 the new 137 Nsec version? From the photos the flame is actually visible. I'm impressed!

The 137 Ns G80 does indeed have a visible flame. It's a significant improvement as compared to the old one.

Yes, it was the 137 N-sec version. One can really see the blue flame.

In the case of my Sumo, the seven second delay seemed perfect. :D

Well, below is a good flight and one very bad flight (kinda fun to sequence through the frames though and relive the carnage)...

It's painful when you see it happen, but it's always fun to rewatch later. This one was particularly spectacular.

View attachment 341832View attachment 341833

My second flight. No ejection charge?? Something went wrong. My friend said it was the retainer. It blew off. It was an Estes plastic 29 ..yeah painful but fun to watch

I see the partially destroyed plastic front end of the baffle lying next to the rocket. Did the cap that holds the ejection charge in get blocked somehow? A baffle creates a slight resistance to the ejection charge gases. If your retainer wasn’t glued on well, or if the glue bond for the retainer broke on a hard landing, or the retainer cap broke on a previous hard landing, then the ejection charge would blow the motor out of the rocket instead of the parachute.

I would have guessed the steel wool corroded / compacted, overcontaining the ejection charge and damaging both the baffle and retainer instead of hanging out the laundry.

Was the MMT split?

Last edited:
Back