Estes E-Launch controller compatibility?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayarrG7

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a controller that has some potential for larger rockets in the future, yet starting out on a budget.
Estes markets the E-Launch controller as a must for their E class engines.
Will the controller work with the lower class engines I plan to start with?
Are there other controllers that are price competitive?
My only local source is Hobby Lobby which in my area stocks Estes products, but usually has 40% off coupons available.
Thanks for helping.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only difference is it has longer cables. However, if you intend to ever move into Aerotech rocketry, you might want to look into a more powerful launch system to save money down the road. If not, it is a good deal. Welcome to the forum!

The Estes E-motor launch controller has longer leads, in compliance with the longer set-back that an E motor requires over A-C motors. That's the "must" part of it. Otherwise it is a 6 volt launcher, just like their Electron Beam controller for low power launching. There are better choices out there, including the Pratt Hobbies FullBoost controller, a 12 volt version of a fully self-contained hand held launch controller, the Pratt Hobbies Go Box and the AeroTech Interlock launch controller. The latter two require a connection to an external 12 volt battery which you supply.

I made my own Emotor controller by replacing the wire with a longer one found at Radio Shack.

If you think you will eventually be moving up to more complex forms of low-power rocketry, or even to mid-power, you may want to skip the Estes controllers and move straight to one of these other recommendations.

Don't get me wrong, for low-power blackpowder motors and Estes-style igniters, the basic Estes battery-powered launch controller works fine. (The 'big brother' for E motors also works fine.) They will handle many years of basic (single motor) low-power operations. When the batteries are fresh these controllers will usually handle a two or three motor cluster.

However-

If you plan to have a busy launch day you should bring one or two changes of batteries for those Estes controllers. If you plan to launch a lot of clusters, or a large cluster with gobs of motors, you will want an electric power source with a lot more amps. If you plan to launch much mid-power stuff, you will definitely want the longer lead wires (for safe set-back distance, as well as getting a better view) which kinda also pushes you toward a better electric power supply (better than a handful of AA batteries).

To improve the levels of electric power at the launch pad you may also want to have a relay system; this uses lower power levels through the lead wires and uses an electrical relay at the launcher itself to switch the electric power for actual ignition, and usually provides better results on clusters (and pretty much everything else too). The Estes launch controllers do not offer this feature.

There are hardware products out there that can easily double as electric power supplies. If you have a riding mower you could borrow the 12V battery from it. If you have one of those portable power supplies for jump-starting cars, it includes a 12V battery with plenty of power. A lot of guys have converted gel cells and electric tool batteries from other uses.

I hope some part of that answers your qstn---

The Estes E controller has longer and THICKER wires and it actually delivers more current to the igniter(s) than the shorter regular controller. It can fire 2 or 3 Estes igniters in a cluster.

The 4 AA alkaline batteries will not be enough for an Aerotech copperhead igniter, but they will fire the Quest Q2 and Q2G2 igniters. The standard incandescent lamp will ignite the Q2G2 igniters during continuity check, so BEWARE.

The next generation of E Electron Beam Controller from Estes is undergoing testing right now and it uses an LED for continutiy lamp and is safe for Quest Q2G2 igniters.

Those of you who read the YORF would know this, because the folks from Estes are on there almost daily. You might want to take a peek over there.

Pratt Hobbies Go box! It's a nice set up.

Another option is the Aerotech Interlock controller, but it's a little more expensive.

Braden

Those of you who read the YORF would know this, because the folks from Estes are on there almost daily. You might want to take a peek over there.
I go there and participate in the forum daily, too, but I haven't seen anything about a new Estes E launch controller. I don't read absolutely every thread, though (just like here), so if it's buried deep in some nondescript or unrelated discussion then I may just have missed it. I would think (or at least hope) that even you could understand the stunningly obvious fact that unless it is mentioned in the thread title itself, then uncovering a nugget like that is mostly a matter of serendipity. Even very active members like me don't obsessively pore over every post in every thread. Therefore, missing a hint dropped somewhere inside a large and busy bulletin board is not a sign of moral failure.

We missed it, Mark.

Estes was offering the latest version of their normal launch controller to be tested in the real world by rocketeers. Naturally, Estes was providing these controllers free of charge to a certain number of guinea pigs. It took all of about five minutes to get that number of volunteers and more.

These new controllers are said to be compatible with the Q2G2 igniters. The continuity lamp has been replaced by an LED.

See what happens when you don't check in over there for a day to two?

Correction to my earlier post: They used slang and said "E-beam controller" insted of "E controller" or "Electron Beam". So I misread it. They are testing the LED in the regular Electron beam controller.

Of course, it it works in that, it will work in the E Controller....

Back