Estes - Scorpius (#1375) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickershock23

Reaction score
I got in on the K and S Scorpious kit when Scott had them.

Let me tell you this was a fun and Challenging project.

All the parts are well made and comes with EVERYTHING you need except a chute.

I have been working on this for a while, the fillets were tough because of the canted fins, but I finally got it all done.

I put on a couple coast of sanding primer then a coat or two of Duplicolor white..

I put the stock Estes Decals on it.. and I really did not like them. so I sat down and drew up some custom graphics..(By stickershoc23.com by the way :D ) I am REALLY happy with the results..

This is one of those that is almost TO purdy to fly..

I am thinking about the 38mm Long burn "I" motors from CTI. for her first flight.

IM000537.jpg

IM000538.jpg

IM000539.jpg

IM000540.jpg

THanks Scott for ANOTHER AWESOME kit:D

Last edited by a moderator:
What? No motors in the outboards...:surprised:

That looks cool!

What? No motors in the outboards...:surprised:

That looks cool!

29mm's will fit the outboards fine.. Maybe a couple of the CTI 29mm single grain F29 I max's they only put out 8 lbs of thrust for 2 seconds...
that and the cool crackely black thrust would be WAY cool..

you better come to springfest so we can do it Tim.. I double dog dare you..

29mm's will fit the outboards fine.. Maybe a couple of the CTI 29mm single grain F29 I max's they only put out 8 lbs of thrust for 2 seconds...

Hmmmmmm... when is that exactly?

I thought this was a gallery. did I do it wrong?

But yes please do that was the idea when i posted it.

This is what we call a "brain fart".

WHen I first encountered this thread, I did so through the "unread posts" link. Somehow I got it in my feeble mind that the post was in the HPR section.

My fault.

SOrry.

Move along, nothing to see here...except a great rocket.

This is what we call a "brain fart".

WHen I first encountered this thread, I did so through the "unread posts" link. Somehow I got it in my feeble mind that the post was in the HPR section.

My fault.

SOrry.

Move along, nothing to see here...except a great rocket.

HA HA HA remind me to smack you later... (just for fun of course)
you must be getting old like me. they say the mind goes first..

HA HA HA remind me to smack you later... (just for fun of course)
you must be getting old like me. they say the mind goes first..

My mom used to say the mind goes first as well. SHe was of the opinion mine left some time in early 64.

I believe its march 18th 19th and 20th in Jean Nevada.

talk Michelle into a vegas weekend when you get there tell her Surprise... Rocket launch.. LOL

Oh yea, that'll go over like a fart in church.... and then i'd be homeless, and maybe even divorced....

Wait, when is it again... hahaha... jusk kiddin hun.... :lol:

Hmmm, I am planning on going to Springfest AND I just happen to be building my upscale Scorpius as well. Sounds like we have the beginnings of a Scorpius drag race. I am to chicken to put some motors in the outboards though so I would be sticking to a central 38mm motor of some sort.

...Fudd

Hmmm, I am planning on going to Springfest AND I just happen to be building my upscale Scorpius as well. Sounds like we have the beginnings of a Scorpius drag race. I am to chicken to put some motors in the outboards though so I would be sticking to a central 38mm motor of some sort.

...Fudd

Fudd that would be AWESOME.

I was more ribbing Tim about the outboards. he just gives me a hardtime because he did it twice with his manta bomber..

GREAT looking build. ( and upgrade on the decals :) ) ... does need the correct geometry cone though ( PNC-50X, think Semroc has that on BT80 size )
are you going to offer those updated decals, as well as original ? for our own upscales ?

I have a 4" Scorpius in the build que, so .. ;) .

thanks for the inspiration.

~ AL

( still building, and saving a nickle here n there for other decal sets I need ) :p

GREAT looking build. ( and upgrade on the decals :) ) ... does need the correct geometry cone though ( PNC-50X, think Semroc has that on BT80 size )
are you going to offer those updated decals, as well as original ? for our own upscales ?

I have a 4" Scorpius in the build que, so .. ;) .

thanks for the inspiration.

~ AL

( still building, and saving a nickle here n there for other decal sets I need ) :p

Thanks Al,

I have had 3 people already ask about the CUSTOM decals. so it might very well be something I add to my website.

For now if you want them just ask I can make them!

Got my scratch built 3x upscale Scorpius finished and as usual Marks decals really make it pop! It turned out awesome. I ordered the "StickerShock Style" decals, gave Mark the dimensions and BAM, they fit perfectly.

Can't wait to fly it at Springfest.

...Fudd

DSCN0055.JPG

Scorpius.jpg

It's been what, 2 years since K&S offered the upscale Scorpius kits? I recently got around to painting and flying mine. Great kit, super components, makes a really impressive model.

Here I'm getting the vinyl from stickershock on. Great set, the solar panel grids are awesome.
8757881875_427bd702fc_b.jpg

All pretty and ready for a couple of small touch ups
8757882549_44934fee7b_b.jpg

Taking up the floor of my VW bus
8759008900_f45b6aa46d_b.jpg

Flight on a G79-4 (White Lightning LMS motor with the delay drilled down)
8759009456_3fcef2ef66_b.jpg

kj

Welcome to the Estes Scorpius (#1375) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Scorpius (#1375) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Scorpius: #1375
K and S: Scorpius:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Scorpius (#1375) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Scorpius Also known as:

NUMBER: #1375

Introduced: 1982
Final Year: 1985
Designer:

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 15.25"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 1.59 oz

Mfg. Description: Futuristic cruise ship for deep space exploration powered by two ion induction electrification engines. An incredible display model! (Estes 1982 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-scorpius%201375-1982%20cat.jpg
1982 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-scorpius%201375-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-scorpius%201375-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
K and S Scorpius Basic Information.

k_and_s.gif
K and S Rockets

MODEL NAME: Scorpius Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Exotic, Upscale
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Parachute
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
rocket pictures 2 2015 026.jpgrocket pictures 2 2015 024.jpgI found most of the pieces of a Scorpius kit in my box of rockets that had been in the attic since the late 80s. The decals were ruined because they were next to an iron-on for a T-shirt about the Stealth rocket, and the ink transferred. I got new decals from Excelsior. I read someone else's build on a Scorpius and liked the way they made the front of the engine intakes more round. I made a "donut" out of 1/4" balsa to do the same.

Back