As an old timer in this hobby, I have a special place in my heart for the Estes Astron Sprite. It was my second ever model rocket, and despite its diminutive size, I really liked the way it was designed and the innovative way in which it recovered. Rather than deploy a device at apogee, it executed a weight shift, moving the CG rearward of the CP, making the rocket unstable and causing it to tumble back down. The tumbling motion produced a good deal of drag, which was enough to slow the descent to a safe rate.
Fast forward 35 years; I am now a BAR. While searching online, I come across the FlisKits web site. It had a multitude of interesting kits for sale, but one of them immediately caught my eye. It bore more than a passing resemblance to my beloved Sprite, but it was smaller, downsized to fly on a 13mm mini motor. I simply had to have it, and after building it I proceeded to fly the heck out of it. Somehow I managed not to lose it either, and even now it continues to be my most-flown rocket.
Although it was very cool, the Sprite was quite a small rocket, and the Tumble Weed is substantially smaller that even that classic. In fact, it is comparable in size to some of FlisKits' MTTM (MicroMaxx) kits. And so it came to pass that 3 years ago, a light bulb (figuratively) flashed on over my head. I had an idea! With parts purchased from FlisKits, I created a sliding motor mount for it that would allow it to fly on a MicroMaxx motor. I didn't want to make the conversion permanent, so I designed the mount to be completely removable for occasions when I wanted to launch the TW on 13mm motors. I also wanted to see if I could have it continue to recover via weight shift-induced tumbling. One other thing I wanted to do was to have the mount anchored to the rocket in some way so that if the hook failed to catch the mount as it slid rearward after the ejection charge fired, it would still remain with the rocket and not be lost.