Madcow - DX3 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Madcow (4" Fiberglass) Super DX3 (K-159) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: 4" Fiberglass Super DX3 Also known as:

NUMBER: K-159

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x54mm or 1x75mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 66.5"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 6 lbs

Mfg. Description: Features:
ALL FIBERGLASS KIT
High Power Rocket
Pre-Slotted Fiberglass Airframe
Fiberglass Nose Cone
G10 Fins and Centering Rings
Rail Buttons
Altimeter Bay Upgrade includes extra bulkplates and hardware (Madcow 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-super%20dx3%20(4fg)%20k159-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-super%20dx3%20(4fg)%20k159-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Madcow (4" Fiberglass) DX3 XL (K-166) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: 4" Fiberglass DX3 XL Also known as:

NUMBER: K-166

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x75mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 94"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 14 lbs

Mfg. Description: Features:
ALL FIBERGLASS KIT
High Performance Rocket
6:1 Filament Wound Nose Cone
Metal Tip Nose Cone
Pre-Slotted Fiberglass Airframe
G10 Fins and Centering Rings
Dual Deploy w/12" Long A-Bay
Rail Buttons
All hardware including Forged Eyebolts (Madcow 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-super%20dx3%20xl%20(4fg)%20k166-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-super%20dx3%20xl%20(4fg)%20k166-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Mark,
Dd you use duel altimiters in your DX3, I'm thinking about doing duel altimiters I'm mine but not sure yet.

I built a Super DX3 about a year ago. it was an AWESOME kit. i didn't think 3 fins and a nose cone could get any better.. but I guess I was wrong..

After a little altimeter problem at MWP I zippered the HECK out of mine. I contacted Mike at Madcow and told him I would need a few parts to fix her up.
He said Why fix that one I got something BETTER.

I asked him "Better than the Super DX3?"

"Yep how about an ALL filament wound Fiberglass 4" super DX3?"

"I'm in... ship it"

Well fist off ALL the parts were just straight up AWESOME. so smooth great fit, And everything I needed to build a KILLER rocket.

I hooked it up with a Featherweight Raven and Perfectflite MAWD, plus it got "Blast Caps" from Gary Tortora.. then it got ALL K and S HArness and recovery including flame proof blankets, Sewn harness lines and Chute.. lastly it gets an aeropack 54mm retainer.. YEP IT's 54mm Standard.. this baby is going to ROCK!

Then it got a coat of Primer, a light sanding and a coat of Duplicolor White.

Then a custom paint mask by me and it got several coats of metallic Orange. REALLY METALLIC (the pics don't do it justice) after that it got custom striping and vinyl decals in Orange Sequin Holographic and chrome..

Honestly this is the BEST rocket I have EVER built. strong tough, Looks AWESOME great paint.. out and out my best ever..

I can't wait to put it up on a K454 Skid as soon as we thaw out.

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

DSC00947.jpg
Nice work love the decals

My 4" diameter cardboard tube Super DX3

Duplicolor enamel paint
Stickershock decals

pdx3k.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing finish Nathan!!... A lot less sanding on this one, until the first few landings at Moffett. Rustoleum 2x for black and florescent Orange.
IMG_1783.jpgDDliftOff-Moffett0817.jpg

A minor correction to the index posts at the top of the thread - the DX3 XL variant does not use the term "Super" in the Madcow web catalog, nor on the instructions, nor on the box (I have one in the build queue). That's a little inconsistent with the fact that the other 4" DX3 versions *do* use the "Super" designation.

A minor correction to the index posts at the top of the thread - the DX3 XL variant does not use the term "Super" in the Madcow web catalog, nor on the instructions, nor on the box (I have one in the build queue). That's a little inconsistent with the fact that the other 4" DX3 versions *do* use the "Super" designation.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have it corrected now in the gallery and TRI

20160416_110504.jpgSuper DX 3 Payloader is DONE. I'm going to use this for my Level 2 bird, probably next month. RRC 3 for deployment, EggFinder in the nose, and Fruity recovery. Time to study for the test! :) HVLP applied DupliColor automotive lacquer and a nice deep sparkly finish! StickerShock vinyl.

13015463_860904800703078_3262017433624562258_n.jpg
13001075_860905604036331_7720497381872148221_n.jpg
13051736_860911067369118_6791476498145368808_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my 2.6" Madcow Super DX3. This was painted with Purple Firemist Restoration Shop Lacquer with 4 coats of clear lacquer, wet sanded and polished.

28445987732_fb5c1cf7b1_o.jpg

28268303120_a125f321cd_o.jpg

28268302020_d17fb8013f_o.jpg

28268300990_91d8c86f0f_o.jpg

28268301310_511d4048e5_o.jpg

27568878473_9ba44890a2_o.jpg

28268300630_a90e407f60_o.jpg"

28268300390_8785ff0b90_o.jpg

You sir, have an amazing painting capability! That looks awesome! I've never had ANYTHING come out looking HALF that nice!!

Do you do commission's to paint other peoples rockets?! That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Thanks! No I just paint rockets for fun, not for money. It takes me too much time to do a paint job like that to make a business out of it.

FYI, the coin that I used in those photos is an 1884 silver dollar.

I built a Super DX3 about a year ago. it was an AWESOME kit. i didn't think 3 fins and a nose cone could get any better.. but I guess I was wrong..

After a little altimeter problem at MWP I zippered the HECK out of mine. I contacted Mike at Madcow and told him I would need a few parts to fix her up.
He said Why fix that one I got something BETTER.

I asked him "Better than the Super DX3?"

"Yep how about an ALL filament wound Fiberglass 4" super DX3?"

"I'm in... ship it"

Well fist off ALL the parts were just straight up AWESOME. so smooth great fit, And everything I needed to build a KILLER rocket.

I hooked it up with a Featherweight Raven and Perfectflite MAWD, plus it got "Blast Caps" from Gary Tortora.. then it got ALL K and S HArness and recovery including flame proof blankets, Sewn harness lines and Chute.. lastly it gets an aeropack 54mm retainer.. YEP IT's 54mm Standard.. this baby is going to ROCK!

Then it got a coat of Primer, a light sanding and a coat of Duplicolor White.

Then a custom paint mask by me and it got several coats of metallic Orange. REALLY METALLIC (the pics don't do it justice) after that it got custom striping and vinyl decals in Orange Sequin Holographic and chrome..

Honestly this is the BEST rocket I have EVER built. strong tough, Looks AWESOME great paint.. out and out my best ever..

I can't wait to put it up on a K454 Skid as soon as we thaw out.

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

Outstanding paint job...i bet it looks blinding when the sun hits it?

I finally finished my 4" FG DX3-XL. I changed up the sticker location and added a dragon.

View attachment 335680
What a great job! Quick question, your DX3 looks about a foot or so longer than the kit I purchased. Did you add another tube? If so, can you explain what you ordered from them so I could do the same? Lastly, did you have to add weight in the nose?

What a great job! Quick question, your DX3 looks about a foot or so longer than the kit I purchased. Did you add another tube? If so, can you explain what you ordered from them so I could do the same? Lastly, did you have to add weight in the nose?

Door passages are typically 80" and the stock DX3-XL is 91". Also, when I take the picture measurements and scale them up it matches the stock unit. Looks about right. I responded since Swissyhawk has not been on the site for 10 months. Great rocket...have fun!

Door passages are typically 80" and the stock DX3-XL is 91". Also, when I take the picture measurements and scale them up it matches the stock unit. Looks about right. I responded since Swissyhawk has not been on the site for 10 months. Great rocket...have fun!
Thanks! I guess that this is a different kit than the Super DX3?

Sorry for jumping into the wrong thread.i was looking for paint schemes for the Super DX3 and the photo of his brought me here.

You did nothing wrong. This thread is for all variations of the DX3....big....small...glass...cardboard. See post 26.

You did nothing wrong. This thread is for all variations of the DX3....big....small...glass...cardboard. See post 26.
Cool... I was thinking of adding a 12" section of tube to lengthen my DX3 do you think that would be a bad idea?

Back