Stormcaster launch report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Even though the Estes Stormcaster could be a LPR, it is a 24mm and I fly it on composite motors mostly. Which is why I posted this here.

The previous launch was on a F24-7W. It was a great flight but the shock cord broke. It had the original 24" Estes rubber cord and 36" of additional 1/4" elastic cord added. The BT landed close, but the location of the chute and nose cone was determined when someone with binocular saw it hit the metal dome on top of a silo a half mile away. The flock of birds leaving the silo was also a clue. Anyway, had a nice conversation with the farmer and found the chute and nose cone just outside the barnyard. Good thing, I'm not sure I could have cleaned all the fertilizer off of it a cow had stepped on it in the barnyard, if I would have even found it.

Replaced the shock cord with 12' of none elastic cord and launched it again yesterday on a F39-9T. Talk about SCREAM! That lite rocket (5 oz w/o motor) just hauls with that motor! Sims to 430 mph and 2,000 ft. and it sure looked every bit as fast and high as that.

It took forever to come down. The 18" chute is too big, should have a 12", or maybe 15". Fortunately it was a very calm day and it landed 400 ft from the pad.

Here's a pic on the pad. There was no way I could time a shot with the rocket leaving the pad on the F39, just too quick.

BTW the white mark at the top is where some paint flaked off from the previous landing.

DSCN0080.jpg

I love my Stromcaster. Clean, simple desing, but flies soo well!

Mainly the BP D12-5 or 7. i beleive I did an Esomething in it, but jsut way too high!! (and too much walking!!)

A 15" with a large spill hiole is what I beleive I have on mine..

The Stormcaster is one of the best fliers I've ever seen. Goes way up there on a D12. Guess I I should be glad my 24mm rms won't fit in the MM. I might not see it again! I can't imagine how fast it would scream on an F39:eek:

The Stormcaster is one of the best fliers I've ever seen. Goes way up there on a D12. Guess I I should be glad my 24mm rms won't fit in the MM. I might not see it again! I can't imagine how fast it would scream on an F39:eek:

Your 24/40 RMS will fit in the MM.:) You just have to take a small file and file down the forward part of the motor hook until it is flush with the motor stop. That's all I did.

When you do that, and I know you will do that, I would also recommend a little motor retention insurance. I wrap a small piece of copper wire around the motor to keep the motor hook in place.

CasingRetention.jpg

This might not keep you from losing the casing with the rocket, but at least you won't loose just the casing when it spits at a thousand feet or two.

Sorry, I should have explained better. I've filed down the motor hooks my rockets and gotten the RMS to fit all my 24mm rockets except my Stormcaster. The motor mount is just too small. It's a tight fit for D12's and the RMS casing just can't squeeze in. Just would up on the wrong side of the tolerances, I guess. I'd love to fly it on something like an F12.

You did a great job on yours, this is one of my favorite rockets, even if it's just a 3FNC.:)

Understood. Too bad about the small tube. You could put another motor mount in it , but I'm not sure I would bother. I think a better alternative is getting another Stormcaster kit.

I saw one of these at the Hobby Lobby last weekend and should have picked it up with my 40% off coupon. Seems I've seen a few fly with E and F's and they seem to hold up well.

This kit has TTW fins doesn't it? Don't remember when I was checking it out in the store.

I like the way you wire lock the casing to the hook.

I like the Stormcaster, I have been working on one for awhile. I am making it dual deploy with a perfectflite altimeter. I want to launch it on an F21. I am going to remove the motor ejection and use the altimeter for the ejections.

OK, you guys have talked me into getting one. Michaels has them ... and a 50% off coupon this week.

After coupon and taxes...$8.13! Can you even buy the parts seperately for that?

I've squirreled away a number of the Estes Patriot kits in this manner. Why not throw a few more Stormcasters on the shelf?

I modified my Stormcaster a bit. I did not really like the swept-back fins, so I cut the end off, and turned it around to add to the root edge to make kind of a clipped delta.

I also have been experimenting with the new Rustoleum Lacquer paints -- just red, white, and black available so far. I think the other "color" I saw was clear. The nose on this model was red, but I repainted with Testors Silver, since a lacquer base can painted over with many enamels.

This is a pretty nice kit for the money -- much less expensive than other equivalently sized Estes models.

Cool mods! I like the delta fins. Great paint too! Kind of military/research.

The only thing I did was laminate the fins with printer paper. Saved on filling and sanding while strengthening the fins. I don't know if it was really needed, but it flew fine on that F39.

You are going to try it with a 24/40 case?

I modified my Stormcaster a bit. I did not really like the swept-back fins, so I cut the end off, and turned it around to add to the root edge to make kind of a clipped delta.

I'll second that ..... I like the delta fins too! Looks great.

I didn't get a chance to get to Michael's with a coupon this past weekend but I have some more coupons for this coming weekend to try again. I haven't seen the Stormcaster at Hobby Lobby, only at Michael's.

Cool mods! I like the delta fins. Great paint too! Kind of military/research.

The only thing I did was laminate the fins with printer paper. Saved on filling and sanding while strengthening the fins. I don't know if it was really needed, but it flew fine on that F39.

You are going to try it with a 24/40 case?

Thanks for the compliments. Wow, I feel guilty -- I modified this build to use 18mm. :eek:

I was a little concerned about losing it on a D. But, I could use my new 18mm reload casing in it, I suppose ...

That's unfortunate. They really fly well on D12's, and absolutely scream on F24s and 39s.

I wouldn't call that unfortunate, it's the perfect excuse to go out and buy another Stormcaster kit.
True...

Not that you ever need an excuse to buy another rocket kit :D

Thanks for the compliments. Wow, I feel guilty -- I modified this build to use 18mm. :eek:

I was a little concerned about losing it on a D. But, I could use my new 18mm reload casing in it, I suppose ...

You won't regret it. 18mm reloads go great in any Estes rocket. I have a field that will allow me to fly average low power rockets with D reloads. Try out a Patriot or Big Bertha on a D13.

I've got two 24/40 casings, and have over 50 flights with them over the years. I do love using them to fly larger Estes-sized rockets on Es and Fs.

I bought my 18/20 casing after modifying an old Estes Outlander for 24mm, and then realizing it would have been a lot easier to just leave it stock, and use the 18mm D reloads in it. I am really anxious to give it a try.

You are absolutely correct about the D13s. But I submit to you, the 24mm composites are even better.

Here's my build thread on how I modified an Estes Patriot to fly with any 24/40 load.

Yup, that's true. But my field isn't big enough to take loads that big. If I got larger rockets though, then that will work. I really wanted to get a Canadian Arrow, but they're OOP now.

I hear you about the field size. There's one I fly at that I wouldn't use those loaded unless it is a very calm day. I've only seen one day like that in the last 5 years.

I hear you about the field size. There's one I fly at that I wouldn't use those loaded unless it is a very calm day. I've only seen one day like that in the last 5 years.

Yeah. I can fly comfortably to about 1000 feet on a slightly breezy day, as in about 5-7 mph winds. When its absolutely calm, I'm willing to push it to 1800 feet.

I just finished mine. I mucked up the clear and got a run as usual. I seem to have a problem with patience when it comes to finishing. A little wet sanding in one spot and it'll be solid. Deviations from instruction are 20lb laminate fins, modified for E motors, zipperless design using the coupler as a baffle and Kevlar to elastic for shock cord mount. It's a touch heavy with paint at 4.3oz compared to the 2.9 on the package. I also went ahead and cut out the large pre-marked spillhole in the 18" chute. Can't wait to fly it this weekend. I think it's going to be a D12 Dual at dawn with JEFF_in_AZ and his Blue Ninja.:eek:

stormcaster2.jpg

Last edited:
The Stormcaster was my first 24mm rocket. It began as a stock rocket but gained some mid-fins later giving it a very interesting horizontal corkscrew flight profile! Still later it was shortened, had the fins clipped, and some bt-60 tubefins were added. It's been neglected for a while now but I think it's time "Old Ugly" had some fire in it's tail. Ted

Back