Crayon/Pencil/Pen Rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my first Crayon bank rocket, the Standard Cray ARM. (38mm)

scratch_crayon2.jpg

Last edited:
And the Massive Gassive (10 x 24mm)

massive1.jpg

massive2.jpg

back_dow.jpg

Last edited:
My First Crayon was a 4" dia x 36", 5 D12 clustered crayon. Later found a 2.6" 2-D12 clusted clayon. then Full size Micro powered Crayons with box.. then found the Teeny-weeny Crayon that is just barely larger then the MMX-II motor the drives it:)
All are great flying, as much fun to watch as fly.

Guess I should at least add my full size flying Pencil as well.

Dick:
Man that Crayship One is very very kewl! Ya need to bring that one to a launch sometime soon;)

Last edited:
I was Christmas shopping at my local Ben Franklin store and these were in the toy department.

2.25" in diameter, 23" long with a 1" BT-50 size hole in the bottom!;)

Crayon 1.JPG

Crayon 2.JPG

From crayons to pens...actual pens. The white one is Art Applwhite's kit and the clear one is scratch. Clear is suboptimal for small MicroMaxx rockets :(

bic_finished.jpg

scratch_doubletree6.jpg

I was given one of these, and if you lightly heat up the crayon, you can get a BT70 tube down it, after you carefully cut off the "shoulders". This is a tight fit, but gives you something to glue to, when you put in your motor mount, and I used through the wall fins. I'll have to get a picture of it, here they are at our club meeting.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32642375@N07/5245133860/
Here is a better picture
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32642375@N07/4612188483/

I was Christmas shopping at my local Ben Franklin store and these were in the toy department.

2.25" in diameter, 23" long with a 1" BT-50 size hole in the bottom!;)

Last edited:
I'd love to find some 2 1/4". That way they could easily be flown on hobby line 29 and 24mm reloads.

38mm Crayon (my first one, based on Bob Kaplow's plans launching
on a CTI Smokey Sam)

WAC Crayon w/Tiny Tim Booster (search the archives for more)

MMX Skywriter (photo credit: Chris Michielssen hcmbanjo)

I guess I need to finally break down an make that MMX Bic Pen
to go for the trifecta! ;)

38mmCrayon_SS_liftoff.jpg

WAC_Crayon_painted.jpg

Last edited:
Now that we've added all skywriting impliments, I'll add my assortment of Bic Sticks to the bunch. Art Applewhite's original Lawn darting design has been altered to allow the addition of a Plumbers tape streamer and kevlar shockline that makes finding and re-flying the Bic pens a lot easier;)
Gotta love a model rocket you can actually carry around clipped to your pocket LOL!!

View attachment MM 258c_Bic Stic Pen Revised Dwg & inst_06-15-02.pdf

MM 258a1-sm_Bic-pen OddRoc_06-15-02.jpg

MM 258a2-sm_to g1_7 Micro Bic Pens group pic_03-14-06.jpg

Last edited:
I know I'm coming late to the party, but I've been told that I should post mine as well...<g>
Hopefully these will be in the correct order:
The pic with the 3 crayons shows a 54mm tube-fin, a 54mm, and a 38mm. Next picture is Jim Flis comparing my 38mm crayon to one of his mini crayons. Yes, it's hard to see the small one. The next one is my Crayon-on-a-stick(a bottle rocket). The last is a 2-stage crayon.
I have one more, so hold on... :)

crayon-fleet.jpg

crayon-flis.jpg

crayon-stick.jpg

2-stage-crayon.jpg

Since I fly a lot of crayon rockets, it was only fitting that I did my L3 with one as well...
Flown on a CTI M3100WT to 4400 feet.

L3Crayon.jpg

L3Crayon-launch.jpg

This is my first attempt at a crayon bank rocket. It was a plastic bank so it made the build a little tougher. But it came out alright. Flew it on a CTI H123 and a H400 Vmax at NERRF 6

Matt

Test Fit.jpg

The Crayon family....

IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6287.JPG

I'm surprised I didn't get in on this thread earlier.

The free MMX Sky Writer PDF plan is available at:
https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/
Scroll down about halfway.
It's a little hard to roll the tube, but doable.
It's just over 1/4" minimum diameter and feels just like a pencil in your hand.

At a NEFAR launch I was waiting for a launcher and a new flyer asked if he could borrow my pencil to fill in his flight card.
He was surprised when I told him it was going to fly.

BrianC showed a picture of the drag race we had with the MMX SkyWriter downscales. This one is probably the highest flying MMX rocket in my fleet.

Sky_Writer_finished_WEB.jpg

The Crayon family....

IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6287.JPG

Great stuff everyone. I have several myself including a duces wild... sorry no pics right now,

Alex Where did you find the green one. I had one and crashed it and have not found a green one since.... It was my favorite

Hi,

We're Crayon fans and building our family, we started with the "Giant Crayon", expanded to the "Jumbo Crayon" which of course leaves room for the "Super Jumbo Crayon" :D

I must say, our Giant Crayon on a G76G / G64W with a 5 second delay is a reliable performer. The Jumbo Crayon enjoys a H123W and we use a MaWD or MAD to control deployment.

Here is our build thread for the Jumbo Crayon - https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2133

Regards,

Rob & Austin

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:
Funny you should ask....

When I started this project last year, I was hoping to make 6 crayons, each a different color. I had to call four Toys R Us to get the first 4, then found the 5th (green) at a Toys R Us in downstate Indiana.

I'm still looking for a 6th.. heard rumors of a purple and/or white one, but have never seen these mysterious colors (except in this gallery)

Great stuff everyone. I have several myself including a duces wild... sorry no pics right now,

Alex Where did you find the green one. I had one and crashed it and have not found a green one since.... It was my favorite

Keeping the Crayon love alive I figured I would put mine here... A Toys 'r Us as well as a Dollar Tree crayon and Flis Micro Crayon. I have a pink Toys 'r Us crayon in the build line based on demands from my daughter and also have several colors of the smaller dollar store crayons waiting to be built. My daughter is getting a Skywriter for Christmas too.

Toys 'r Us 4" Crayon Bank w/ 29mm Motor Mount
_MG_3779.JPG
_MG_4551.JPG

Dollar Store 54mm Crayon /w 24mm Motor Mount
_MG_4222.JPG
_MG_4339.JPG

FlisKits Micro Crayon w/ MMX Mount
_MG_4489.JPG

Last edited:
Back