L1 Certification Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of my L1. It's scratch built 2.2" diameter, Flew on an AT H210 redline . Video of flight on website.

Second shot is the new dual Deploy version.

Eric Foster

!cid_tie_8CDEF9B74AA996F_894_7C12 - Copy.jpg

100_1759.jpg

My Level 1 cert. was done on a madCow Super DX3 on a CTI 123 skidmark.

It was an arrow straight flight and landed 100 feet from the pad.

Great rocket.

Paul T

phpf8rWUlAM.jpg

php8veibjAM.jpg

I got my L1 in July 2011 at Serpentine, Victoria Australia.

Standard Loc Hi-Tech on a H123W-M.

Took two attempts as the rocket suffered a two inch zipper on the first try due to over-zealous use of black powder and the unforgiving nature of Kevlar.

I cut the zippered section off and swapped out the Kevlar for tubular nylon and relaunched a month later and all was well.

hitech l1.jpg

hitech l1 launch.jpg

hitech l1 zipper.jpg

1/4 scale PML Patriot on a H123.

Patriot-1.jpg

Here is a picture of my L1. It's scratch built 2.2" diameter, Flew on an AT H210 redline . Video of flight on website.

Second shot is the new dual Deploy version.

Eric Foster
That's a good looking rocket. Love the fins.

Here is my simple minimum diameter scratch build for my L1 Cert. 38mm BlueTube, Pinnacle nose cone and Acme fin can from Giant Leap, and Fruity Chute. Flew on an AT H123, and ended the day with a big smile...

417.jpg

I don't have any launch photos, just a crudely shot video of the flight. This is my Javelin XL, a 433% upscale of the #0815 Estes Javelin Mini Brute rocket. I flew it on May 19, 2011 for my NAR Level 1 certification. I used an H165R reload, my first ever Redline. The flight was made at an end of school year launch put on by the Physics teacher of a local prep school for his students, to which I had been invited. I used the "M" (10 sec.) delay without modification which was dead-on perfect for this motor in this rocket. Altitude was estimated to be around 2100 feet, with apogee deployment and recovery on a 36" Top flight 'chute. I had about a 0.3 mile walk to retrieve it.

DSCF0507-1.JPG

DSCF0569.JPG

[YOUTUBE]cWM8_tPpO5E[/YOUTUBE]

Got my L1 on my Minie-Magg and a H123... no good pics of the launch, however (sorry)

B490CA5E-07EB-44FF-98C8-056E4C452B4E.jpg

Later!

--Coop

Got my Level 1 Cert on a Binder Design Excel 38 using a Cesaroni H152. This flight went fairly smoothly thanks to help from the other guys up at the launch.

My first attempt was made on a somewhat modified (a little bit longer due to some botched building) LOC Norad Pro Max using an Aerotech H238T. Nose came out (shortly after burnout, I think) nose went one way, chute tore loose and drifted off and the main body came back down on the asphalt, snapping a fin off. Has since been repaired, waiting another go around.

The only pictures I have of either flight are a launch pad and smoke.

John

100_1388a.jpg

100_1390a.jpg

My L1 (twice) was a scratch built. Bass Pro fishing rod shipping tube, lumber yard plywood fins, wooden nose cone turned by a friend. 38mm I-357.

image-745273641.jpg

Here is my LOC IV level one cert:
LOC4A.jpg

I had fun with the paint job

Here is the flight at the Black Rock Desert:
MyLevel1Certification.jpg

If you look at the first photo you'll see that I painted "L1 CERT" on it. At the time I thought I was being clever. But when I went to fly it the second time, I had to convince the RSO that I was already certified. Not a big deal I guess, but after I zippered the tube, and rebuilt, I gave it a totally different paint job.

I got my L1 a couple of weeks ago on a scratchbuilt 4" with an H128.
Here is the rocket on the ground:
attachment.php

Here it is in the air:
[YOUTUBE]iZudhe6SeYE[/YOUTUBE]

Got mine 5-5-12 with a scratch built Ralphco / Fantasia Nike Smoke (Crayon)
First attempt went up, and came down with nose off, but chute stuck in tube, almost no damage to the hefty cardboard tube from the 2000ft freefall. 2nd attempt, with less bulky chute, went to 2000ft and was recovered easy! Both flights on CTI Pro38 2 grain H225's with 11 second delay.

Last edited:
I achieved my L1 using a custom scratch built 2.6" rocket on a 29 mm H128 in June of 2011. I built the tube using 2" pvc pipe as the mandrel (3 layers of 110 lb cardstock), turned the balsa nose cone on my lathe, and used 1/4" plywood from the shop for fins. The 30" parachute was sown by my lovely wife using ripstop nylon with 1/16" nylon shroud lines over the top. I built a baffle so as not to have to use protection for the parachute. The first picture is of the loading for the L1 flight. The second is liftoff at a later launch on a G engine.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Happened across this thread while searching for something else...I'll be glad to share.

06/16/2012 MMMSC launch Berwick, ME
Madcow Frenzy 4" paper and plywood
CTI H225 White Thunder
Altitude: 1130
Successful L1 certification!
Public Thanks to Darrin Marriner for the sign off!

The Frenzy on the pad:
TheFrenzyonthepadbeforethelevel-1attempt.jpg

After a no start due to my inadequate clipping of the lighter wire we corrected that issue and up she went:
Wehaveclearedthetower.jpg

Perfectly straight (as far as i could tell). Nice slow launch to 1130 - the chute came out at the top and i have never been happier to see a parachute open!

A short walk to the landing zone and this is what we have:
OnterrafirmaSuccess.jpg

Cha-ching! L1 in the bag with the only hitch of a clip un-clipping on the lighter.

What would i do differently? For the flight, nothing - It was exactly to plan. Building the rocket I'd have measured out the shock cord so the airframes were not banging together, beveled the leading and trailing of the fins and would have tried to dress up the fillets a little better, but eh whatever. As-is they whistled pretty good so that was kind of cool.

If you want to see the rest of the shots from the day you can check them here:
https://photobucket.com/jsargevtrocket

Here is my Level 1 certification success. It was done on a LOC Tweed B on a AT H128W at the monthly SSS rocketry launch. Everything went well and only had to walk less than 50 feet to retrieve the rocket.

89f0fcd5.jpg

7d3f01c5.jpg

2ccce55d.jpg

Level 1 @ LDRS XXX- Giant Leap Thunderbolt on a CTI I470 White Thunder.

[video=youtube;tR-k74YmoJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-k74YmoJ0&feature=plcp[/video]

IMG_0399.jpg

Last edited:
My L1 never got posted here! Here's me after the flight (No flight pictures, depressingly :() Rocket is an Estes Partizon I named "Plan-B", because I had planned on getting my L1 on a Leviathan, but it floated off into the woods before I ever got the chance.

Motor was a CTI H133 Blue-Streak motor drilled to 9 seconds of delay. Easily went to 3000 feet or so... Wishing I had an altimeter in this flight, as I am sure it is still the highest/fastest rocket I have ever flown.

IMG_0824.jpg

My L1 Cert was with a Mad Cow Phoenix. Plenty of fins on this one!

The first picture was the night before the L1 flight on an H148R, I had taken my LOC IV along as backup. Thankfully it wasn't needed. The 2nd picture is it going up a few months later on an H178DM. I have a few more H178DM loads for the coming weekend launch. :)

My L2 Cert was with a LOC Bruiser. I used a CTI 6XL J453W motor and it went straight and true!!!

phoenix1.jpg

Rocket2.jpg

cert.JPG

L4.jpg

I guess I'll post mine.

4in scratch I named "Steve" on an H163 WT.
Cool little motor. I got about 1600 with a perfect deployment and landing. Couldn't have asked for a better cert flight.
IMG_2579.jpg
[YOUTUBE]i0KPeW1Cnws[/YOUTUBE]
Got some onboard along with my flight-line cam.

Alex

I guess I'll post mine.

4in scratch I named "Steve" on an H163 WT.
Cool little motor. I got about 1600 with a perfect deployment and landing. Couldn't have asked for a better cert flight.
View attachment 96783
[YOUTUBE]i0KPeW1Cnws[/YOUTUBE]
Got some onboard along with my flight-line cam.

Alex

Congratulations on the cert.

That salt looks fantastic. I've got to get over there for a launch one of these days.

Last edited:
5/26/12 Mile High Mayhem
Blackhawk 38 on I212SS DD 6000'
Level 2 on same rocket same day on J425BS DD 12,844' (no pictures)

155.JPG156.JPGLabeled.jpg

Last edited:
Mad Cow Torrent - July 28th, 2012 on an H125 C.
I had a camera inside the rocket because I didn't want to risk a mishap caused by a camera strapped to the side. Unfortunately, the camera shut off when the ejection charge fired.
I plan to Level 2 on the same rocket soon.
Eruption.jpg

Mad Cow Torrent - July 28th, 2012 on an H125 C.
I had a camera inside the rocket because I didn't want to risk a mishap caused by a camera strapped to the side. Unfortunately, the camera shut off when the ejection charge fired.
I plan to Level 2 on the same rocket soon.
View attachment 97229

Nice! I see Eddie Van Halen did your paint job? ;)

Back