L1 Certification Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter shows off my scratch build made with 4 inch Loc nose and airframe. I originally never planned to be certified (Yea Right!) so I only put a 29 mm MMT in it. Anyway, it flew beautifully on an Aerotech H128. Flame and name decals by Stickershock23.

Adria n Adria.jpg

View attachment L1 launch 1.bmp

Last edited:
My daughter shows off my scratch build made with 4 inch Loc nose and airframe. I originally never planned to be certified (Yea Right!) so I only put a 29 mm MMT in it. Anyway, it flew beautifully on an Aerotech H128. Flame and name decals by Stickershock23.

Very nice! You know, I don't have a rocket with flames on it. I'll have to do something about it...

Got my level 1 with a PML Amraam 4 on an I-161.

amraam2.jpg

My L1 was with a modified Aerotech Strong Arm, flying on a Kosdon H155(Awesome motor)

Build thread that Braden did here

Launch is in Braden's video 0:49 is where it starts.

[YOUTUBE]Oef1QsMNbtg[/YOUTUBE]

Flies great!

My L1 happened with DARS (Dallas Area Rocket Society) at their former McGreggor (TX) site (adjacent to the Space-X motor test facility). It was a BSD 38 Special on a CTI H-143 Smokey-Sam. The winds aloft were up a little bit - it drifted about a mile-and-a-half before it landed - luckily, the VP of the club at the time had a 4-wheel ATV that he used for rocket retrieval, and "fetched" the rocket for us. Thanks, Royce!

Still flying with DARS, and still wish I could get another BSD 38 Special!

Me on away pad 6-28-08-web.jpg

Mini 38 spcl Lev 1 attempt 6-28-08-web.jpg

Mini-BSD 38 spcl 6-28-08 Lev 1 attempt-web.jpg

rocket wiggled coming off pad and caused chute to eject early but rocket held together through all of it so i got the cert.
DSCN2181.JPG
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dEJOQqP_jik/S97W5CSueeI/AAAAAAAAAFc/209I8CiILnk/s320/DSC00377.jpg
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvDUDMvesA[/YOUTUBE]

Today! 2/12/11

HOTROC launch at Asa Texas. Scratch built on a Cesaroni H90 classic.

Took two flights. First one I packed the chute too tight and she fell with the nosecone hanging out about 6" from 1800 feet or so. No damage. I love Quantum tube (please don't turn this into a quantum tube debate thread).

Removed the dirt plug from the body tube, cleaned her up, new motor and success.

Didn't get her completely painted in time, but at least she didn't fly naked.

L1 Gallery post.jpg

Last edited:
Today! 1/12/11

HOTROC launch at Asa Texas. Scratch built on a Cesaroni H90 classic.

Took two flights. First one I packed the chute too tight and she fell with the nosecone hanging out about 6" from 1800 feet or so. No damage. I love Quantum tube (please don't turn this into a quantum tube debate thread).

Removed the dirt plug from the body tube, cleaned her up, new motor and success.

Didn't get her completely painted in time, but at least she didn't fly naked.

Cogratulations.

It seems most of the Texas clubs had a good day. Ours had the most participants ever.

Congrats! I should be getting mine in a few months- Need a good populized launch to brodcast it at! xD

Today! 1/12/11...at Asa

Daggum it.I knew I should gone, but after the week I had at work, sleeping in was more recuperative! :cry:

Congrats! Didja salvage parts from Telstar for this un? :headbang:

Bring it 'round to Frisco next week so we can pat you on the back and say "Well done, son!"

Just got my L1 yesterday. Perfect flight!

Oops 2 is a spin off of Larry Brand's H-Pod. 3" diameter, 27" long, 7x 54mm tube fins.

First flight was on a G79-8ss which roared off the pad, but had a bit of bonus delay. After recovering that unharmed (thank you zipperless) I reloaded it with a H143-6ss and had another perfect flight to a predicted 2000'. Long walk though on a 36' chute.

Thank you Scott Turnbull for supervising the process.

Build thread here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=172347#

IMGP9912.jpg

IMGP9952.jpg

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP9960.jpg

IMGP9966.jpg

Last edited:
My L1 was a scratch build out of 2" mailing tubes. The nose cone was also made out of the same tubing. It's flown more than a few times on H128's and H165's. It's due for an I200. It's sims to over 4000' so should be fun. Flight pic is of my actual L1 Cert Flight in 2009. However, I somehow forgot to send in my paperwork and have to re-cert. Darn.

IMG_2119r.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

LOC/Precision LOC IV on an H180W, modified with a zipperless baffle. June 2007....

jaygould__MG_4322.jpg

Jeffs L1 chute 1.JPG

artl1f.jpg

NAR L1 Recertification - 38 mm Delta Flying Saucer with a "Full Beard" on an Aerotech H123W at the Alamo Rocketeers Monthly Launch in China, Grove, Texas on May 8, 2010

Art Applewhite
NAR 80632, L2
TRA 9409, L2

I got my Level 1 certification on a PML Matrix on May 16, 2010 at the CRMRC field in St. Albans, Vermont. I used a Cesaroni 4-grain 29mm H118 Classic motor with 5 second delay and a 36" chute.

If you like installing fins, this is the rocket for you as there are a total of 12 (6 canard, 3 upper, and 3 lower). I added an vvionics bay with a Perfect Flight MiniAlt/WD altimeter but elected to use motor eject for this flight. (Keep it simple for certification attempts!) The flight to about 1300 feet was great and recovery was only 400 feet downwind. I really enjoyed building this rocket. This is the first time I used West System 105/205 epoxy and fillers and I love the versatility and strength of it.

PML Matrix.jpg

PML Matrix 2.jpg

PML Matrix - getting ready.jpg

PML Matrix loaded and cocked.jpg

PML Matrix landed.jpg

I got my Level 1 certification on a PML Matrix on May 16, 2010 at the CRMRC field in St. Albans, Vermont. I used a Cesaroni 4-grain 29mm H118 Classic motor with 5 second delay and a 36" chute.

If you like installing fins, this is the rocket for you as there are a total of 12 (6 canard, 3 upper, and 3 lower). I added an vvionics bay with a Perfect Flight MiniAlt/WD altimeter but elected to use motor eject for this flight. (Keep it simple for certification attempts!) The flight to about 1300 feet was great and recovery was only 400 feet downwind. I really enjoyed building this rocket. This is the first time I used West System 105/205 epoxy and fillers and I love the versatility and strength of it.

That is a great looking rocket!

I got my L1 certification last weekend at the SSS Spring Blast. Built a LOC Nuke Pro max and launched it on a G-64W Saturday. It was a little wobbly off the rod, and took a thousand feet to get the 36" chute out, :y: but only suffered a few scratches from being drug in the wind. Waited until Sunday morning for the cert launch on an H-123W. Once again the wind was a factor, but the chute opened near apogee around 3000 ft. Half a mile down wind I recovered "Duke Nukem" intact. My wife Sharon got a pretty good video of the launch,click on the pic:

Here is a before picture of the rocket and me:
028-Copy.jpg

Many thanks to Guy Smith for his help with this project. He not only advised me on my build, but also lent me a casing for my cert launch. We used his launch pad and system for the launch:
025-Copy.jpg

Also got my decals from Stickershock23, "DUKE NUKEM" and I'm all outta gum:
016.jpg

Last edited:
congratulations on a successfull cert...now open your wallet :). the ' Duke Quakum' looks nice too.

Wayne, nice to meet you over the weekend. Did we get the Hi-Flier to go up straight on it's initial launch?

I saw the Duke go up on G-64 before I left. He did wiggle a bit off the rod, that's for sure but straightened right out. I'm sure it's because it wasn't enough oomph off the rod with all that wind. I'm guessing it was about 200' before the chute completely unfurled. It was a real nail biter. I cheered out loud as I was climbing into the truck.

Rick told me the Cert flight was gorgeous. Congratulations.

Here's the few pics I got. I think the two flight pics are of your 2nd Aspire or the one that CATO'd. Don't forget to contact Estes about that E9 grenade. This is Christine's email. She's top notch. [email protected]

Lemme tell ya, Boys....This cat has some skills. His rockets are gorgeous.

IMG_1863r.JPG

IMG_1833r.JPG

IMG_1834r.JPG

Thanks for the compliment Tom. Obviously you didn't see the first mess I made painting that rocket. :eyepop:
The maiden voyage of Lauri's Hi-flier was perfect, and Sharon's Wizard flew straight despite the crooked fins. Really the only failed launch was the Aspire CATO on the rod. I did contact Christine and worked out a deal for an Estes "Eliminator" to replace my Aspire. I also will receive two packs of D-12-7's since they can't ship E's without the hasmat fee. They are even replacing the launch rod that broke with a Maxi-rod!
The "Dukes" first flight was certainly a nail biter, and Jack warned me that if the wind was up I should have used a G-78W, but you know how it goes, I was eager to get the first launch done and it was pretty close to the ground before the chute finally came out. I think I jumped and yelled at the same time when it popped out!

got my L1 cert with a short version of a LOC HyperLOC 300 (flown without av and payload bays) I actually failed on my first attempt, used a AT I112j wind cocked quite a bit, nose cone detached on deployment. Next attempt was a couple weeks later. Had a successful flight on an AT I245G, though it was a bit of a hike to recover.:) It was naked at the time, it is actually finished now for my first DD attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcSu9leaNHs

302.jpg301.jpg300.jpg

Scratch built. First tube finned rocket I ever built. Level one on a Cesaroni H175 Smoky Sam.

Back