L1 Certification Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Ok. I'll start this one off. Let's see what you used for your L1 certification.

Was it successful?

Would you do something different?

Back when it was allowable, I used an Applewhite 38mm Cinco with a streamer for active deployment.

I'd like to start threads for L2 and L3 as well but right now I am just L1.

lee_john.jpg

flight-3.jpg

flight-2.jpg

I used a LOC Bullet for my Level 1 Cert. I used a H123 motor for a perfect flight. Here is a picture of just before the flight in 2007 in Sterling, CT. Here is another picture of the same rocket replicating the same flight at LDRS 28.

CATO121_PETER_WITH_L1.jpg

LDRS28-080720.jpg

My first L1 cert was in April of 2003. The rocket was a PML Tethys flying on a Pro38 H153. After flying over 30 times that season, it was lost to the tree gods. :(

My L1 re-cert was with at Red Glare 8 in April of 2010. The rocket was a Wildman Drago on a Pro29 H133B. After only 3 flights, this one was lost to the hard runway landing gods. :rolleyes:

Nick L1.jpg

_MG_1480.jpg

My level 1 came with a totally scratch built 38mm minimum diameter rocket on a Aerotech H148R motor. Me & my cert flight rocket 10-17-10.jpg

My L1 was a scratch build Binder Excel clone and still flies today. I've put every load for the 29/240 case in there except for the H97. I've flown Pro38 2g and 1g loads. I think I've had at least 25 flights on it and it still looks great. Not a stitch of fiberglass on it. The L1 flight was on a Ellis SU H275.

-Dave

HG8V8522.jpg

I flew my L1 in 2009, on a Wildman Jr. called "Project Dark Star". Went up on an AT H148R.

Note that this was BEFORE Wildman came out with a different kit called a Dark Star.

Mine is a tribute to the Grateful Dead. :)

prelaunch.jpg

Igniter Install.jpg

first flight.jpg

recovery.jpg

I got my L1 with a scratch-built crayon rocket called "Waxy Smoke"

Flies great on CTI Pro29 3-grain reloads.

G.D.

L1-Cert-1.jpg L1-Cert-2.jpg L1-Cert-3.jpg

Well.....

It just so happens that I wanted to start a Crayon rocket thread for the gallery. Do you mind if I copy this post for its inauguration?

Go right ahead, it would be an honor.

G.D.

Just recently got my L1 at Battle Park with my Endeavour on a AT I284W. Used dual deploy which worked as advertised. Hope to go for L2 in January with a J350!!!

Endeavour 003.jpg

Endeavour_0001.jpg

3012616349_1a966c55b5.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Special thanks to Pat Easter and all the other kind folk at NSL 2007 for making it possible for me to attain my L1. I flew one of our 3" Space Arks on a CTI Pro38 H134SS.

SpaceArkL1flight_DSC_4786CR.jpg

Scratch built 2.5" rocket set up for dual deploy, but I haven't actually used DD yet. L1 cert flight was on an H123 (38/240). Altimeter read around 2100 feet.

The picture is from the second launch, on an H112J (38/360). It went to 2447 feet, took 3 minutes to come back down. No bigger until I get DD tested and working! :)

Hmm, I still haven't named it.

5095715549_8fa4381fa4_z.jpg

3.25" Nike Smoke made from a 3.25" mailing tube, 3 pieces of 2x6 glued together and turned on the lathe, 1/4" plywood fins and centering rings, flown on an H128 medium.

SMOKE.JPG

Oh, and then there was my other (less successful) L1 cert flight...

Thumper Jr.
I think the rocket was on the way down before the delay burned through, and the powder moved away from the delay element, to the forward end of the well. I found the unburned ejection charge still in the well, with the little circle sticker still on. Now I make sure to fill up any extra space in the well with a little wadding to keep the black powder in contact with the delay element. I encourage all those attempting L1 to learn from my mistake! Watching somebody else's rocket come in ballistic is exciting, watching your own is just sad. :fly:

4665142397_b5c7627d2e_z.jpg

My L1 was back in April 2005, with a PML AMRAAM 3 on an AT H123W.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Scratch built 2.5" rocket set up for dual deploy, but I haven't actually used DD yet. L1 cert flight was on an H123 (38/240). Altimeter read around 2100 feet.

The picture is from the second launch, on an H112J (38/360). It went to 2447 feet, took 3 minutes to come back down. No bigger until I get DD tested and working! :)

Hmm, I still haven't named it.

Man, I love those smoky motors!

I got my L1 at the NSL held by NEPRA using a PML Ariel

My computer crashed so I lost my pictures from the actual launch.

But attached is a shot of the my Ariel. This shot is from a Space Day celebration in 2003.

SPACE DAY 020.jpg

My son Micah and his friend Taylor getting their Jr L1's at LDRS in Amarillo. Micah flew an orange Binder Aspire and Taylor a PML Amraam 2 with a flame motif.

Recovered.JPG

Back