A Day at the Witte

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Last Friday, my club helped the Witte Museum with their Spring Break program. Unlike previous trips there which had older kids, this outing consisted of 1st and second graders. They museum was looking for a "make and fly" type of activity but I had my reservations about the age group being able to handle construction. The 4th and 5th graders last summer had enough problems.

I decided to use a bunch of pre-built rockets and let the kids decorate them after the "rocket spiel" and then we would try to fly them. Since time was a scarce commodity, I thought first in terms of the Fliskits Whatchamacllit, knowing it would work well and that it would go together quickly. The problem of the museum's "flight field" raised its ugly head, however as did the budget I was given to work with. There was not enough funding for the kits and the motors.

The more critical of the 2 issues was the field. It is not a stretch to say that it was hemmed in on all size by large buildings and large magnolias. It was actually only about the size of a large living room. I had worked with this field before and went with an old standby.

Art Applewhite graciously consented to give me license to modify and make up a bunch of his 13mm Qubit 2.0s. He actually designed that rocket with the Witte Museum in mind. Its high drag profile makes it just right for the small "field" and the price was right too. Now I actually had money for motors.!

I modified the Qubit so that Art's logo was joined on one panel with those of the museum, the Alamo Rocketeers and the NAR. I then printed up 25 of them and over the course of a few weeks, got them guilt.

The night before the event, I took the box with the rockets out to put them in my SUV and my phone rang. It was an emergency and I set the box down to deal with a pastoral situation. I forgot all about it until the next morning. By then, the rain ensured that I had ZERO rockets!!!!!:eek:

I quickly printed up 25 more and took them to work where I spent the morning folding, spindling and mutilating, getting the 25 ready just in the nick of time.

witte-2-form.jpg

witte-2-motor-mounts.jpg

The talk and the decorating part of the class went well and the kids seemed to really enjoy it. I was worried about the incessant rain. It was a lousy time to try and break the drought. I had Spikey and Lindsey from my club set up the gear just in case while the kids individualized their projects.

paint-1.jpg

paint-2.jpg

paint-3.jpg

paint-4.jpg

paint-5.jpg

Miraculously, it stopped raining long enough for us to have our little launch.

I started things off with 3 Qubits of my own, loaded with 1/4A3-3, 1/2A3-2 and A10-3s just to show the kids the difference in thrust. They behaved exactly like expected.

demo-flight.jpg

Then it was time to let the kids fly theirs. I kept an eye on pedestrian traffic and looked after the controls. Lindsey helped the kids to load the motors and Spikey got them set up at the pads. The kids were then allowed to launch there own.

They had a great time and the rains started up again right afterwards and drowned out my club launch scheduled for the next day.

flight-1.jpg

flight-2.jpg

flight-3.jpg

flight-4.jpg

flight-5.jpg

Back