PERSHING 1A build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordy ,I think I will incorporate that paint work into the nosecone.

You really want me to mask all those stripes.....don`t you :eyeroll:

Ok...ok.....I`ll do it.

Paul

I could print you out some decal stripes. Just email me the sizes you need.

Now that's an easy solution.;)

I could print you out some decal stripes. Just email me the sizes you need.

Now that's an easy solution.;)

Oh ,that would be too easy Gordy.To tell you the truth.....and I`m serious ,I rather enjoy the masking process ,sure beats sanding.I also have the Monokote way out.

Besides ,you don`t have time,cause you need to make me a BIG Nike Hercules :wink:

Merry Christmas Gordon !

Paul

Oh ,that would be too easy Gordy.To tell you the truth.....and I`m serious ,I rather enjoy the masking process ,sure beats sanding.I also have the Monokote way out.

Besides ,you don`t have time,cause you need to make me a BIG Nike Hercules :wink:

Merry Christmas Gordon !

Paul

The parts are coming for the Nike Herc.

Very nice! This might even inspire me to build my 7.5" Pershing that I have the parts for, but have been procrastinating building. I even have a K550 for it. I like the stripped red nose cone paint scheme also.

Very nice! This might even inspire me to build my 7.5" Pershing that I have the parts for, but have been procrastinating building. I even have a K550 for it. I like the stripped red nose cone paint scheme also.

I am going to incorporate that scheme on the finished rocket.You really must do that project ,would be killer !!

Paul

should be very impressive.

I just realised I posted my Honest John model In a Pershing thread ...why didn't someone say something ? :confused2:...lol

should be very impressive.

I just realised I posted my Honest John model In a Pershing thread ...why didn't someone say something ? :confused2:...lol

I was just thinking old age and that you forgot where you were :confused:

But it fit in with talking about different color schemes.

Paul

WOW - what else can I say? Sodmeister rules!

Thanks chum, but average skills involved......

My photographic skills however.....SUCK ;)

OBTW- doing some painting on this thing today.....finally.Gonna take awhile, plenty of masking to be done (I went for a more complicated paint scheme.....surprise...surprise )

Paul

My photography skills surpass my rocketry skills. The only problem with some of your pics is focus. Make certain you focus on the object. Regardless, I have enjoyed seeing everything you post.

My photography skills surpass my rocketry skills. The only problem with some of your pics is focus. Make certain you focus on the object. Regardless, I have enjoyed seeing everything you post.

I gots to buy a real camera ,SLR or something.I just got this one (Nikon COOLPIX) using my flyer rewards, it`s OK ,but I want something better...CANON ?? I have an older Canon EOS Rebel ,but it`s film...although that thing takes great pics.

Paul

I recently had occasion to compare the Nikon COOLPIX, equivalent Canon and the Panasonic LX5 (and its $100 more expensive Leica cousin.) The Leica lens on the Leica and Panasonic were noticibly sharper than the Nikon and slightly sharper than the Canon.

I gots to buy a real camera ,SLR or something.I just got this one (Nikon COOLPIX) using my flyer rewards, it`s OK ,but I want something better...CANON ?? I have an older Canon EOS Rebel ,but it`s film...although that thing takes great pics.

Paul

I recently had occasion to compare the Nikon COOLPIX, equivalent Canon and the Panasonic LX5 (and its $100 more expensive Leica cousin.) The Leica lens on the Leica and Panasonic were noticibly sharper than the Nikon and slightly sharper than the Canon.

I agree with Leica optics ,some of the best around...no doubt about that !

Time so save some money and shop around.

paul

Oh now it's a camera forum - ha. All in fun. Don't anybody mess with Paul. I got his back

Alright then ,got some painting done the last few days....finally.Although it`s freezing outside (-3 F) I got the new cardboard spray booth set up.The booth is a little smaller than my previous one ,but handles rockets BT`s up to 40" long ,so I`m good until spring & summer when my BIG projects will be done ;)

Ok ,here we go.

Fresh primer sprayed and drying.

Last 3 pics ,primer sanded.The BT still has a few ridges ,but I`m not going to worry about it...besides they are not too bad and this thing is going to be a flier.

Next will be masking this thing up and then comes the nose cone...............................OY VEY !

Paul

php3LnyZ3AM.jpg

phpq2JnV2AM.jpg

php4GHemsAM.jpg

phpjWlfrQAM.jpg

phpKObcDyAM.jpg

Here are pics of my temp. paint booth made of cardboard.

Shown are the front /side view and an inside view of the intake with pre-filter(just to remove some of the paint particles from entering the pipe and exhaust fan)

Intake from back of booth and discharge leading outside (all 6" snap pipe with all joints sealed)

That curved pipe with the back to back elbows is the fresh air/make up air intake (the back to back elbows act as a cold air trap when the fan is not running.When the fan is turned on,fresh outside air is automatically drawn into the workshop)
VERY important if you run appliances that burn combustibles IE: CO poisoning!!!

OK...nuff of that ,more paint pics a comming.

Paul

phpwUEvZmAM.jpg

phpaonj4cAM.jpg

phpfvIQruAM.jpg

phpSvUuRmAM.jpg

phpSSAzJ3AM.jpg

Rocket masked for paint.

Olive drab khaki aft and forward , Black stripes , Orange stripe and White center body .

Paint ,remove mask ,re-mask , paint , remove mask , re-mask , paint...etc..etc.

Paul

phppKu0bvAM.jpg

Rocket masked for paint.

Olive drab khaki aft and forward , Black stripes , Orange stripe and White center body .

Paint ,remove mask ,re-mask , paint , remove mask , re-mask , paint...etc..etc.

Paul

Hmmm, kind of a follow up to sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill...

Pretty much :(

I should have bought stock in Tamiya tape and 3M sandpaper division $$$$$$

Paul

So, your using the super-duper Tamiya tape to get nice clean color seperation and the crappy blue painters tape to help mask off large areas, I see. What are the widths of the Tamiya tape you commonly use? Will it flex and follow a curve with good adhesion?

If you wern't using 3M sandpaper, you'd be cursing like a sailor by now. :rolleyes:

The functions of your paint booth look well thought out. I can see construction was done by someone who knows what they are doing.

The rocket is getting better looking all the time.

So, your using the super-duper Tamiya tape to get nice clean color seperation and the crappy blue painters tape to help mask off large areas, I see. What are the widths of the Tamiya tape you commonly use? Will it flex and follow a curve with good adhesion?

If you wern't using 3M sandpaper, you'd be cursing like a sailor by now. :rolleyes:

The functions of your paint booth look well thought out. I can see construction was done by someone who knows what they are doing.

The rocket is getting better looking all the time.

I think I have 4 sizes ,all in MM`s. 6 ,10 , 18 and 40 mm.

The 6mm will do a fairly good curve ,but for tighter radii ,I lay down a strip on a piece of sheet glass and cut it thinner with an Xacto knife.....works well.

I pretty much do the spraybooth thing for a living (industrial ventilation and dust collection)...but it`s a pretty simple design and works well enough for smaller projects.

Cheerio

Paul

Time to get that nose cone done i suppose (I was trying to delay this part ,but I`ll jump on into it )

This first pic is of the overall general paint scheme.

Bottom half of NC primed

Upper half primed

This is the marking/masking template I made out of cardstock for the black and white stripes.This process was quite the pain in the rump ,as I had to make sure the tapered stripes were plumb on the center lines and that they will match those of the upper half of the NC.

Paul

phpYtiDccAM.jpg

phpyAPrmZAM.jpg

phppTlDseAM.jpg

php8ZdB4mAM.jpg

phpFtwdYOAM.jpg

The bottom part of the nose cone has been masked and sprayed gloss white .

This masking business is taking a large portion of time ,but I am determined to make major progress !

Paul

php0Gij6RPM.jpg

phpaDLIeNPM.jpg

White portion masked and ready for black gloss.I`m using RustOleum Professional gloss paint...great stuff and it dries very fast.Putting the hairdryer on it helps things cure faster on the surface ,enough so that masking can take place, without leaving marks on the paint (Tamiya tape also plays a large role )

Paul

phpZdrduVPM.jpg

While the lower nose cone dries, I moved onto the top portion.I masked off the top part ,as this will be gloss black.

I painted the NC with DupliColor Chevy Engine Orange (high temp engine paint) This is also great paint ,as it gives a nice deep gloss and dries & cures very fast and hard.

Paul

phpdV4bGMPM.jpg

phpebZxniPM.jpg

Well the lower portion of the NC is done ,just needs a decal or two and a clear coat.

The tape is removed and voila .....:clap:

Now onto the top NC portion(More STRIPES).This will be a test of my patience....back to the Tamiya Tape ;)

Paul T

php16a7c0PM.jpg

phpnNq6YFPM.jpg

Back