PERSHING 1A build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Here is my Pershing 1A scratch build.This is based on a BT-101 ,LOC 4" tube with PML 29 mm phenolic MMT and AeroPack retainer.Nosecone is custom turned by Sandman "Gordon" out of basswood.....she`s a big piece of lumber and a beauty at that ;)
Since I had some off cuts of LOC body tube ,I decided to use it up ,and therefore the reason it`s done in two pieces ,but also to help make the partial TTW glue-up of the forward fins easier.All fins are TTW.

Paul

phpOlZHiTAM.jpg

phpJE8D9aAM.jpg

phpYvq4vfAM.jpg

phpWikNPJAM.jpg

phpMnb1kiAM.jpg

So, BT-101 is the same diameter as LOC 4" tubing?

This is gonna' be a great build.
:D

Darn close!

LOC tube is 4.00" O.D. & 3.9" I.D.

A BT-101 is 3.938" O.D. & 3.896 I.D.

Really close!

Let me clarify something on Sodmeister's build.

This was MY build originally, it's hard to tell from the pics but I got as far as priming the nose cone, but...he talked me into selling him the nose cone.

I was going to make myself another Pershing 1a nose cone.

I'm going to have to get back on that...someday.:eek:

Let me clarify something on Sodmeister's build.

This was MY build originally, it's hard to tell from the pics but I got as far as priming the nose cone, but...he talked me into selling him the nose cone.

I was going to make myself another Pershing 1a nose cone.

I'm going to have to get back on that...someday.:eek:

Not to worry Gordy ,It`s gone to a good home ,you`ll see....I`ll make you proud (just like the LTV Scout) :wink:

Paul

Body tube halves have been slotted for fins and coupler glued in.The final slot through the coupler will be done after the two hlaves have been joined.

Paul T

phpxb8TlJAM.jpg

phpuwlcX9AM.jpg

php0wiBLiAM.jpg

phpS2TzCGAM.jpg

phpp7808TAM.jpg

Last edited:
I made scale fine and fin pad templates using card stock .These can be re-used for future builds if needed.The forward fins will not need all that fin slot material ,but will be trimmed down so it extends flush with the inside if the coupler.

Paul T

phpceK7xRAM.jpg

phpgMC1ANAM.jpg

phpGNf0O2AM.jpg

phpspwwC2AM.jpg

Here I have the aft & forward fins traced on 1/8 aircraft plywood and 1/16 basswood.The fins are made of 3 laminations ,1 center core of plywood (this has the extension for the TTW connection) and 2 ouside coverings of 1/16 basswood skins.This gives a total fin thickness of 1/4 ".The 1/16 lip/overhang on both sides will rest on the fin pad and cover the slots thus leaving a nice clean joint and more glue surface area.

Paul T

php0luOhGAM.jpg

phpcm1ie7AM.jpg

phpcVt5fLAM.jpg

phpFWm1AOAM.jpg

phpPWNce8AM.jpg

Fins have been cut and glued and clamped ,left to cook for 24 hours.Sanding and bevels next.

Paul T

phpLEpstqAM.jpg

phpxpJyrWAM.jpg

phpeZXed0AM.jpg

phpK9t3jJAM.jpg

phpM9aKBPAM.jpg

Fin pads have been cut from two layers of 1/8 thick basswood laminated together to obtain a final 1/4 thick piece.I then taped some 180 grit sandpaper to a piece of 4" LOC BT and sanded the tube radius on the back of the fin pads to make a nice clean fit.It took a lot of sanding(even though it`s basswood), but it`s worth the effort.Final sanding and sealing of the pads and fin slots needs to be done next,as well as the slotted detail on the pad face.

Paul T

phpVqTjgYAM.jpg

phpLVVrkwAM.jpg

phpoRj5CTAM.jpg

phpTHmSnjAM.jpg

phpWLzgI9AM.jpg

Got bored with sanding......so I built a box and filled her up with motors :D

Paul

phpXUABRHAM.jpg

Finished sanding the radius on the back of the fin pads.

***please note ,this work was done awhile ago ,and not today ;)

Paul T

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

MMT and aft CR in place and epoxied.The top CR is in but not glues ,it`s just there to keep the MMT centered until the glue cures ,it will then be removed (using the pieces of tape as handles) to facilitate adding fillets of epoxy to the aft fin tangs to the MMT & BT.
Then the forward CR with eyehook & 1/4 Kevlar S.C. will be epoxied into place.

*** NOTE *** - I had to epoxy a 29 mm CR onto a 38 mm CR ,since I ran out.But it worked ,although I had to make sure they were perfectly centered .

Paul

DSCN0123.jpg

DSCN0124.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see your making progress. I was wondering why you started a build thread and then posted next to nothing in it. Now I can see from the photographs you've been pretty busy. Everything is looking good.
Did you make the slots in the wood by hand or machine? I think I can see starter holes in the fin pads, yes?

Last edited:
Glad to see your making progress. I was wondering why you started a build thread and then posted next to nothing in it. Now I can see from the photographs you've been pretty busy. Everything is looking good.
Did you make the slots in the wood by hand or machine? I think I can see starter holes in the fin pads, yes?

I was away doing some shopping in Grand Forks , North Dakota ( 2 hours from home) on the weekend ,bought a buttload of spray paint....nice and cheap ! Bought a bunch of other crap too :D

I used my drill press to make holes ,then an Exacto knife to cut the slots.I think if I had not pre-drilled the holes ,there would have been a good chance of splitting the wood.....a very GOOD chance.

Paul

I used my drill press to make holes ,then an Exacto knife to cut the slots.I think if I had not pre-drilled the holes ,there would have been a good chance of splitting the wood.....a very GOOD chance.

Paul

Very effective technique. I did the same thing to the boat tail on this Hermes.

sizzler 100.jpg

Time for some paint soon ? What kind of filler is that on the BT....it made a nice transition from boat tail to body tube.

Paul

Time for some paint soon ? What kind of filler is that on the BT....it made a nice transition from boat tail to body tube.

Paul

Paint soon? Hardly, not with this colder then a well diggers a$$ Canadian air mass thats parked its butt over Tennessee!

The filler is just CWF, then soaked with CA. I kept feathering it out until it looked right to the eye.

Paul, you have indeed been busy and it shows!

It did go to not just a good home but a better home.

Paul, you have indeed been busy and it shows!

It did go to not just a good home but a better home.

Thanks Gordon ,you`ve made/are making some of my projects reality !

I plan on starting that AIM-9 Sidewinder soon ,it`s going to be a great build.I have a surprise I`m working on for the nosecone....hope it turns out (phase 1 worked out well, now onto phase 2 ;))

Paul

Got the aft fins on and epoxied to all surfaces ,including MMT and inside of body tube.

Paul

DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

Last edited:
Have the top CR in and epoxied ,as well as the heavy Kevlar MMT shock cord ,which will be linked to a nylon main shock cord.

Paul

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0141.jpg

"bodt tube"?

Ahhhh...should have just put BT ,but sometimes too many abbreviations lead to laziness ;)

It`s also pretty early right now ,and it`s almost time to hit the bricks and go to work.

I need a rocket building holiday !!

Paul

I got the coupler glued in (weldbond white glue) and the slots cut into the coupler and the two body tubes together.Next will be the forward fin pads and fins.

Paul

DSCN0142.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0146.jpg

Coupler is cured and the forward fin pads were epoxied in place and let to cook for awhile.The I slid each fin in and marked the tang where it just stuck through and flush with the inside of the coupler.I then cut them with my razoer saw and epoxied them in.Doing this makes the forward fins very sturdy and less apt to break off during hard landings ,although this should not be a concern.

Next up ,I`ll fill the seams and coupler joint , then I need to make two cable covers.I was going to make the C.Covers with balsa ,but it`s just too soft ,so I`ll laminate some Basswood to get a total thickness of 3/16".

Then I have to make two retainer bands ,I`ll use heavy cardstock and glue them on and then soak them with super thin CA.

As a last detail, I`ll make the two charge retainers from styrene plastic.

Cheers

Paul

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

Back